The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at the 2730A mobile  (Read 1551 times)
KB4OIF

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2017, 07:46:48 AM »

Looking at this as a mobile rig.  I have read the reviews and know that the brackets and stuff are extra.  Really a bummer that it does not even come with the mobile bracket. For those that have owned it and/or have one now.  What is your thoughts. 

KB4OIF
John
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »

Looking at this as a mobile rig.  I have read the reviews and know that the brackets and stuff are extra.  Really a bummer that it does not even come with the mobile bracket. For those that have owned it and/or have one now.  What is your thoughts.  

KB4OIF
John

The IC-2730A is a nice radio. It is just 2m/70cm analog FM, no D-Star and no data/packet port on the back of the radio. The radio could be used for 1200bps packet, if you wire your sound interface or TNC to the speaker and microphone jacks on the radio; a modification is needed if you wanted to use this radio for 9600bps packet. It is an annoyance that Icom didn't include the mounting bracket or the kit to mount the faceplate on the radio, but the radio performs well. It's nice to have separate knobs for tuning, volume, and squelch for each VFO. You will have to get used to menus, since there are fewer buttons on the faceplate than on the previous IC-2820H. I like the monochrome LCD display, which is easy to see even in bright light.

The IC-2730A even works well for FM satellite operation, as it can handle full-duplex operation (transmit to a satellite on one band, while simultaneously receiving the satellite's downlink which is on the other band). Plug in headphones, earphone, earbuds, etc. - or take steps to keep the speaker audio from feeding back into the microphone if you decide to try this radio on the satellites.

73!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:05:53 AM by WD9EWK » Logged

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »

I am not into the D star stuff or packet.  My very old V71A's are on there last legs.  I did get a working one out of the two that I have.  The problem is the mounting the control head.  I would like to use the dash but not a lot of smooth surface.  My control head on the v71a is on a cup holder mount and its kind of unhandy. 

John
KB4OIF
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »

Ordered the 2730A this morning.  I thought about the icom 5100A but I would not use the features that much and D-star in my area is kind of sparse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: