The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Amp & Receiver from Elad  (Read 5798 times)
W8KFJ

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »

The cat is out of the bag about the new ELAD DUO-ART, a 50 watt Amplifier and Antenna Tuner which will be shown at Dayton.

These pictures were taken at the "Radioamatore exhibition" at Pordenone (NW Italy).

Link:  http://www.rhodiatoce.com/mix/2017-04-22_elad/tn/IMG_3256.JPG.index.html

Dave  W8KFJ
VK4WTN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »

Looks nice but its surprising they didnt go for a 100W amplifier instead of 50W.
regards Wayne VK4WTN
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »

I wonder what the price will be.
The FDM Duo seems good for what you get....
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 06:00:32 AM »

Yep, a bit disappointing that it's only 50 watts. I believe that will greatly reduce their sales over what a 100-watt amp would have offered. On the plus side, I guess my concerns about a replacement to the FDM-Duo are unfounded making it safe to buy before being obsoleted.

KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 12:24:24 PM »

Mosfets can deliver 500w or more with just 5w watts input Shocked. I like the idea of QRP but an amplifier should be an amplifier and guarantee a successful qso, 50w may not be always enough especially with compromise antennas.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:17:36 AM »

I think it gets hard to make an automatic antenna tuner that handles a high swr and high power in a small size.
Relays may be the problem, dealing with high voltages and currents a high swr can generate.

The parts look large for 50 watts, so maybe it will be very reliable.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 12:08:30 AM »

Even 200 watts or 250 watts would have made more sense. If you use a decent antenna you would not need a linear amplifier most of the time.

Looks nice but its surprising they didnt go for a 100W amplifier instead of 50W.
regards Wayne VK4WTN
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 12:14:20 AM »

If the amplifier is a conservative design hopefully the IMD specifications will be excellent. Its a very easy  engineering get of jail card for getting excellent IMD performance. Just  severely  overrate  the parts  and run at reduced output.

It certainly looks like a very professional design rather than the usual CB standard kit amplifiers sold to hams that have all filthy IMD performance.

I think it gets hard to make an automatic antenna tuner that handles a high swr and high power in a small size.
Relays may be the problem, dealing with high voltages and currents a high swr can generate.

The parts look large for 50 watts, so maybe it will be very reliable.

WD4ED

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »

Mosfets can deliver 500w or more with just 5w watts input Shocked. I like the idea of QRP but an amplifier should be an amplifier and guarantee a successful qso, 50w may not be always enough especially with compromise antennas.

You are correct. But those amps ain't cheap!  Now that I think about it.  They aren't legal to commercially manufacture and sell in the U.S. anyway.

Ed
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:18:36 PM by WD4ED » Logged
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:05 AM »

You are correct. But those amps ain't cheap!  Now that I think about it.  They aren't legal to commercially manufacture and sell in the U.S. anyway.

Ed

Not on HF anyway but hopefully the FCC does the right thing and eliminates that rule. It's good news for those not in FCC land though!

Come to think of it, 50W will be good enough even for a FCC compliant LDMOS amp as the FCC compliant designs require 50W in for 1500W out.
WD4ED

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »

You are correct.  There are a lot of high end tube amps that will get LL with 50 watts.  But who wants to have to buy an "intermediate" level amp?  Probably has additional power supply requirements as well.  If you are "multiple" rig guy than none of this means anything to you.  :-)

You are also correct about the FCC determination.  I've listened to the local CB knuckleheads enough times to know that the amplifier gain restrictions have hardly ever slowed down most CBers.  Most of the Export radios already put out enough power to drive most linear amps to levels that are in the ham radio levels.  Nobody runs 4 watts anymore.  So what is this accomplishing?  It suppresses some commercial ham markets and places restrictions on people already licensed to operate at legal power levels.  It's reminds me of gun laws.  But at least law enforcement tries to enforce gun laws.  The FCC has all sorts of laws, rules and regulations that they seemingly, almost never enforce.  So again, what's the point?

Thank you all,

Ed
WD4ED
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »

Is not the class  B license in Japan 50 watts?
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 06:41:34 AM »

https://youtu.be/MS7PbITfBPU   
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 12:22:25 PM »

Really nice looking stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: