The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like they put some number$ on the Icom ID-4100  (Read 3396 times)
KC2FQ

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »

I didn't see a "new gear" section so I guess this goes here.

The stores switched from "taking reservations" to posting a price on the new Icom ID-4100 D-Star radio.  It's only a few bucks cheaper than the 5100 and it doesn't appear to have dual receive (simultaneous) capabilities.  It's smaller but you lose the touch screen.  You get  a couple of display colors and the new access and terminal functionality but that seems to be it.  Losing dual receive seems a big price to pay.

Am I missing something?  I hope the new HF rig coming out, the 7610, isn't going to disappoint like that.
W2UIS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »

The Icom 4100 appears to be an update for the 880H.

It's being listed as an "Entry Level" DStar transciver.

The price I've seen is $460 lower that what I expected.

It only depends what activies you will use the transciver for.

Sit back and wait for the reviews to come in.

Then decide.
N3ANO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »

If this is a single receiver it does not compete price wise with Yaesu ftm 100dr with C4FM at $309. Assuming you don't prefer d star to c4fm.Torry N3ANO
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »

I downloaded the manual, and I see two things right off the bat.

First, it is lacking the almost universal mini-DIN connector for connecting an external TNC. The sad truth is that almost nobody uses the D-STAR version of APRS, because when you are travelling, the analog version is ubiquitous, and DPRS is only available on some D-star repeaters, which certainly aren't found everywhere. This is a flaw shared by the 5100, too, which is a real shame.

Second, it appears to have the same incredibly horrible user interface as the ID-880, which I've wrestled with for years. I defy anyone to figure out how to program this thing without a computer, using it even when programmed is hard enough.

And yes, I think it's about twice the price it ought to be.

Overall, NO BUENO, ICOM. 

The D-star network is still the biggest and most populated, but I suspect not for long.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: