The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40m interfering with PS4  (Read 4315 times)
N0JMC

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2017, 03:24:25 PM »

I have a crazy situation that I can't find answers for. When I transmit on 40m my PS4 turns on and off and will eject the disc in it. The PS4 is on a separate circuit, and is about 15' away. It only happens when I use my antenna tuner and get my SWR 1.5:1 and lower.

Has anyone else run into this? 
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 11:13:50 AM »

The easy fix is to shut the PS4 off.

KL7CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »

There are many RFI experts out there.  Please give us some more information and we can give you some hints.  First of all what is a PS4...am I correct in assuming that it is some kind of DVD/CD player ??.  What kind of antenna are you using...how far is the nearest part to the PS4.  How much power are you running ?.  Is your antenna coax fed and is your antenna tuner just used to improve the match, or did you bring the the end of a wire into the house and connect it to a tuner there Huh
       There are 3 ways RF might get into the PS4.  One way is through the connecting cables into and out of the PS4.  Disconnect these cables and see if the problem still occurs.  If this is the case it may be common mode RF coupling into these cables...some ferrite may solve the problem.  It is possible that RF is coupled into the device via the AC 110V circuit....various solutions.  If your antenna is only 15 ft away from say a 100 or 1000W transmitter it is possible that RF is getting directly into the PS4.....move the antenna further away.   If your antenna is a end fed or other unbalanced antenna, then switching to a balanced antenna, or at least a remote tuner at the antenna, and use a good coax choke at the antenna to "choke" RF which comes down the outside of the coax. (RF is supposed to stay INSIDE the coax) 
     Do a threshold test on the RFI.  Find out at what power the RFI exists.  For example if it only occurs for powers over 60 watts, then test again after each "fix"....RFI may be due to several factor and you may need to apply several fixes.  Consumer quality (cheep junk) cables like often used in TV and other devices are not always of the best quality.   So give us some more info and we can give you some things to try. 
      Rick   KL7CW   Palmer,  Alaska
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:37:52 AM »

PS4;   Sony PlayStation 4, gaming system, home entertainment

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »

Being a part 15 device, there may be no way to prevent this.  After all, the manufacturer has designed it to manufacture as cheaply as possible.  To cover their butts, they can point out that as a Part 15 device it must accept any interference without any legal recourse.
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:22:53 PM »

I've been experiencing the identical problem. Transmitting on 40m kicks out the disc. This is especially annoying, since it will also turn on the plasma TV because I enabled the HDMI link.

Anyway, I removed the bottom cover to get better view of the eject touch sensor. I noticed that the bottom cover has a metal shield insert connected by a leaf spring. This insert is rather small, and it covers only one section of the cover.

Based on a hunch, I covered the entire bottom cover with an aluminum foil. I made to sure to cut out the area for the eject button, and I made sure the leaf spring made contact with the foil. (I applied the foil to the inside of the cover, if that's not clear)

I've been on 40m twice so far, and the disc has not ejected so far. YMMV.

Couple notes from my experiment:
1. Doing this modification WILL void your warranty.
2. My PS4 was held together with 3 security torx screws (T-8). Normal torx will not work, but you can cheat with a small flathead screwdriver in a pinch.

If you try this modification, please let me know if it works for you. I would like to get additional data points to see if mine was just a fluke, or if adding shielding/grounding actually works.

GL and 73,
Yohei/N8YQX

N8YQX
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:36:54 PM »

What about some ferrites on the power cord and hdmi cable.  That wouldn't violate any warrantys, and is quick easy and painless.  Might fix it.
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »

What about some ferrites on the power cord and hdmi cable.  That wouldn't violate any warrantys, and is quick easy and painless.  Might fix it.

Thanks for the feedback, but I've already tried that. Didn't make a dent.

Based on my basic understanding of how touch antennas work, I highly suspect the RF is getting in via the touch switch itself (well, sort of... hard to explain).

N8YQX
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, but I've already tried that. Didn't make a dent.

Based on my basic understanding of how touch antennas work, I highly suspect the RF is getting in via the touch switch itself (well, sort of... hard to explain).

Understand.  Touch switches are horrible things.  Unstable oscillators ( sort of like metal detectors) that detect your finger.  I could see how they can pick up (and possibly generate ) RFI. The problems that touch switch lamps have caused are legion.   I assume the switch to activate the tray on the PS4 is a touch switch.  Why a mechanical microswitch would not have sufficed is beyond me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: