The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6m yagi selection....  (Read 5335 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2017, 07:26:58 AM »

I'm going to be looking for a new 6m yagi at Dayton.  I've narrowed it down to either a 6 element M2, or a 6 element Directive Systems.  The M2 employs a direct feed while the Directive Systems uses a T-Match.  The M2 appears to have the simpler feed and I'm leaning in the direction.  But I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Directive Systems 6m yagis, and could describe their experience with the mechanics of the feed connections.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »

I don't think M2 makes a six element 6M Yagi. I see a 5 element and a 7 element. I have the 6M5XHG which has a ferrite balun and a hairpin match. It's designed for the low end of 6M (50.0 to 50.3) and has a very low SWR in that range. No adjustments needed, except for setting the hairpin length per specs with a ruler.

By the way, Ham Radio Outlet has a discount price on the 6M5XHG at the moment.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »

Sorry, yes 5 element.  The specs indicate a "direct feed, but the pictures in the downloaded manual certainly show a hairpin match with the output of the balun connecting to the elements.  Do you like the construction of it?  It's 25% more than the Directive Systems model of similar size.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:49:27 AM »

The construction is very solid. There is a bracket assembly with U-bolts so the balun is very solidly attached to the boom. My previous antenna was a Cushcraft with a gamma match. After about 5 years the insulation on the gamma match had deteriorated and most of it had dropped off, although it still seemed to work okay.

I put the M2 boom together in the garage to be out of the weather. I clamped it to a couple of saw horses and used a level to make sure everything was lined up correctly. When I got it outside all I had to do was bolt the elements to the brackets I had previously attached to the boom.

There are no step-by-step instructions, only good pictures and a few "hints". I started assembly by first sorting all the bolts, nuts, and washers in a plastic container with divided sections. Then I identified and labeled the four boom sections and each of the element pairs. This way when I started assembly I didn't have to hunt through piles of aluminum in order to identify the appropriate pieces. Actual assembly time was probably about an hour. Be sure to use the supplied anti-seize compound on all of the stainless steel hardware. As I always do, I gave the completed antenna a couple of coats of plastic spray for added protection.

Oh, all the dimensions in the manual are in decimal. I used an on-line calculator to convert those to fractions before I started in order to make it easier to use a standard tape measure.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »

Thanks  for the great review.  I'm leaning towards the M2, but Directive Systems will be there too, so I'll get an opportunity to see them as well.  I too presently have a close spaced 5 element Cushcraft.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 04:32:23 PM »

I just noticed that the 6el Directive Systems has a 12 foot boom and 11.7dBi gain while the 5 el 6M5XHG has a 20 foot boom and 12 dBi gain.
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 06:36:26 PM »

I just noticed that the 6el Directive Systems has a 12 foot boom and 11.7dBi gain while the 5 el 6M5XHG has a 20 foot boom and 12 dBi gain.

The Directive Systems, DSEJX6-50, 6 element beam, has a 19 foot boom and 11.2 dBi gain. F/B Ratio is 28 db. Price listed at $290.
http://directivesystems.com/50-mhz/dsejx6-50/

Their 5 element is on a 12 foot boom and has a 10.1 dBi gain. F/B Ratio is 25.5 db. Price listed at $200

The M2 6M5XHP has a 18 foot boom and 11.54 dBi. F/B Ratio is ~21 db. Price listed at $494
As indicated in an earlier post, M2 doesn't make a 6 element 6 meter beam.

I've been using a M2, 7 element, 6M7 JHV for a number of years. Great antenna. 13 dBi, F/B Ratio typical at ~25 db, almost 31 foot boom. Nice beam width pattern.

Pete, wa2cwa
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:40:11 PM by WA2CWA » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 07:23:09 AM »

So when comparing the 6M5XHG and the 6M5XHP, there is a nearly $200 difference in price, yet the dimensions, weight, and specs are similar.  The XHG has a different element to boom clamp, and is noted as a "travel" antenna.  The XHG also appears to be only obtainable from M2 directly.  I'd like to go with a longer boom, but I'm moving from the woods in rural central Massachusetts to an actual neighborhood corner property, so I'll need to tone it down a bit.  But the difference in the two antennas interests me.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »

I just purchased my 6M5XHG from HRO and it was listed as "in stock". They had the best price. I also found it available on line from several other dealers including DX Engineering.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 08:42:17 AM »

I take that back about DX Engineering as I see today that they don't have the XHG listed. I did purchase mine from HRO and I saw the XHG at several one-line sites.

The XHP has an 18 foot boom while the XHG has a 20.25 foot boom. The XHG boom uses smaller dia tubing at the ends while the XHP is 1/5 inches all the way. Probably that makes the XHG a little lighter and easier to take apart for travel. Looking at the on-line manuals, both appear to use the same boom to element mounts.

The info on the M2 web site isn't very clear about the differences.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 09:19:18 AM »

Ooops - what I have is the XHP. The element clamps are the same style for the XHP and the XHG but need to be different sizes on the XHG in order to fit the different sized boom sections. On the XHP all four boom sections are 1.5-inches dia.
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 03:22:35 PM »

So when comparing the 6M5XHG and the 6M5XHP, there is a nearly $200 difference in price, yet the dimensions, weight, and specs are similar.  The XHG has a different element to boom clamp, and is noted as a "travel" antenna.  The XHG also appears to be only obtainable from M2 directly.  I'd like to go with a longer boom, but I'm moving from the woods in rural central Massachusetts to an actual neighborhood corner property, so I'll need to tone it down a bit.  But the difference in the two antennas interests me.
XHP has slighly less gain, beamwidth is slightly less, shorter boom, uses SO-239 instead of N-Conn., rated at 1.5KW peak versus 3KW.

XHP versus XHG, $187 difference. I guess a lot depends on your future 6 meter aspirations.

Pete, wa2cwa
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 10:09:32 PM »

...  I too presently have a close spaced 5 element Cushcraft.

Have you considered extending the boom 72"?

Cheap and EZ to do.   https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjOxNHwhOLTAhUr3IMKHYXQD9oQFgg-MAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigskyspaces.com%2Fw7gj%2FA50-5S_w5wvo.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEqSz58ORwbkE9ivXctnn_UlG0kaw&sig2=SrlVsAWzsO5fuayASyq6aA
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 04:10:21 AM »

M2 is a great antenna, I use the Hy Gain 6 element on a 24' boom and it is also works great on 6. It has seen some harsh weather conditions and never any problems. The SWR across 6 is fantastic, 50.080 to 50.140 is almost flat at 1:1 and climbs to around 1.5 on the AM calling frequency. No place in the band id it over 1.7:1.

I am and have always been a huge fan of the HY Gain boom to mast clamp as I have had the clamp on my Hy Gain 2 element 20/15/10 quad for over 30 years with 0 problems.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »

...  I too presently have a close spaced 5 element Cushcraft.

Have you considered extending the boom 72"?

Cheap and EZ to do.   https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjOxNHwhOLTAhUr3IMKHYXQD9oQFgg-MAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigskyspaces.com%2Fw7gj%2FA50-5S_w5wvo.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEqSz58ORwbkE9ivXctnn_UlG0kaw&sig2=SrlVsAWzsO5fuayASyq6aA

Thanks for jogging my memory on this article.  It certainly bears consideration....
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: