The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting users on moderation/ probation  (Read 35336 times)
AA4HA

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2017, 06:41:40 AM »

I have noticed that we have a few individuals who add nonsense to discussion threads that end up turning them in to flame wars or way off-topic (a couple in Misc are an example). Rather than shutting down a thread might it be an alternative to put those particular people on "probation" where every post they make is held-back until it is reviewed and approved by a moderator?

It would be less disruptive to the rest of the forum users and can also serve as a tool to either modify the behaviors of the individual in question or to encourage them to find somewhere else to go to (like /dev/null).

I understand that it may become burdensome to the moderators but it is a technique that has been used on other forums to minimize disruptive influences.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »

I have noticed that we have a few individuals who add nonsense to discussion threads that end up turning them in to flame wars or way off-topic (a couple in Misc are an example). Rather than shutting down a thread might it be an alternative to put those particular people on "probation" where every post they make is held-back until it is reviewed and approved by a moderator?

It would be less disruptive to the rest of the forum users and can also serve as a tool to either modify the behaviors of the individual in question or to encourage them to find somewhere else to go to (like /dev/null).

I understand that it may become burdensome to the moderators but it is a technique that has been used on other forums to minimize disruptive influences.

Just hitting the "ignore" button would work fine but people get incensed and quote idiots in the course of refuting them...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:27:02 PM »

Tisha has an excellent suggestion, as the behavior of the individuals in question is detrimental to the community.

The ignore function is of limited use, as it either removes context from a thread or is bypassed by people quoting the miscreant.  It does not help educate, censure, and/or control those members whose sole apparent purpose is to troll the forums and stir things up.
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »

I don't see that those who add nonsense should be put on probation. It's the individuals who flame who should be warned.
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »

Both ought to be put in a time out chair...or miss recess....no kickball for you
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:42:34 AM »

Tisha, all agreed, and we both know who you're talking about here. If this person's posts could pass through a moderator for a few weeks then they might reconsider their actions.

Peter DL8OV
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 04:10:17 AM »

seems every thread this individual decides to trash gets locked in short order...wow...that sure isn't making amateur radio threads great again...
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 05:05:14 AM »

The types of individuals that this might apply to may actually be getting satisfaction when the result is a locked thread. I can see where the entire thread goes Off-Topic and that is the right call. If it is just one individual who is throwing rocks then it may be more appropriate to remove them from the discussion.

There have been one or two threads by the individual that many of you are referring to where he actually did contribute in a positive way. I would not want to stifle everything that they have to say or contribute, just modify their behavior so they engage brain before the keyboard.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 06:19:03 AM »

Folks,

This is internet. It is unimportant. It adds up to nothing. No money involved.

Don't eat for a week. You'll learn what is important.

73 and wear that seat belt.

Kraus
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »

Wow....enuff said
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 05:49:40 PM »

Some threads getting closed quickly...WOW...
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 06:00:16 PM »

seems every thread this individual decides to trash gets locked in short order...wow...that sure isn't making amateur radio threads great again...

Agree, and I suspect that the original posters of the threads that get locked are NOT very happy about that.

WHY should the OP (and the rest of us too) be punished?
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 06:25:13 AM »

Double secret probation.

KLC
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 08:47:54 AM »

Probably has cooties...
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »