The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting users on moderation/ probation  (Read 34899 times)
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 04:00:56 AM »

Thank goodness for the IGNORE Function....only problem is, getting to be quite a few ignores....LOL
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 07:57:07 AM »

Folks,

This is internet. It is unimportant. It adds up to nothing. No money involved.

Hate to break it to you, but Eham and other ham radio sites definitely involve money...in the form of sponsorship via ad revenue, member/subscriber donations and so forth.

If the advertisers are being charged by the amount of traffic the site generates, there's a big incentive to let certain 'controversial' posters and topics linger as they drive up bandwidth figures.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 08:54:54 AM »

Let me clarify.

No on has to be here.

We're here because we want to be here.

Want, the operative word.

So if this site goes down or one cannot use it, they can still eat, wake up, walk the dog, etc.

Folks think being banned from a website is the end of their world. They are Dr. Phil material.

_ _ ... ... _ _

Kraus
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 06:26:05 AM »

I am part of a moderation team on another forum. The Terms of Service (TOS) is adhered to when reports come in about inappropriate posts.
 Warnings with or without points are given if considered necessary. We don't like to ban members, but it has happened in the past as a last resort. The IP address displayed in the post may keep most members on good behavior and is a good idea.
 We ask that members hit the 'Report' button and report a post instead of trying to take the situation into their own hands by responding and possibly making the situation worse. We would rather deal with it as the 'official' administrative body.
 If something is posted a sarcasm, it is important to know that it is sarcasm. Using the 'emoticon faces' helps to get that across and that may prevent a fight.
 I can gracefully disagree with a member who is passionate about their viewpoint. If things turn political or profane, the thread is locked. If the thread can be cleaned up, it may be reopened.
 Decisions about members are made as a team if I feel that I may be biased as an individual towards a member. We strive to be fair and impartial.
 I have been in charge of moderating an individual who agreed to have each post reviewed before my OK. They were considerate enough where I didn't have to edit or deny a posting and we got through the probation period without a problem.
 We are a cross-section of society and we will meet all kinds of characters here. Some we grow to respect and admire and some not.
 Following constructive discussions and education is what I am here for and the Golden Rule applies to all my social interactions here.
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 06:44:14 AM »

...constructive discussions and education is what I am here for and the Golden Rule applies to all my social interactions here.

Well, that looks good on paper, but,..... it goes out the window when certain individuals repeatedly don't play by the same "golden" rule.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 08:14:26 AM »

...constructive discussions and education is what I am here for and the Golden Rule applies to all my social interactions here.

Well, that looks good on paper, but,..... it goes out the window when certain individuals repeatedly don't play by the same "golden" rule.
Or...when their stated mission is to troll the forums which they're members of.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 07:47:08 PM »

I have noticed that we have a few individuals who add nonsense to discussion threads that end up turning them in to flame wars or way off-topic (a couple in Misc are an example). Rather than shutting down a thread might it be an alternative to put those particular people on "probation" where every post they make is held-back until it is reviewed and approved by a moderator?

It would be less disruptive to the rest of the forum users and can also serve as a tool to either modify the behaviors of the individual in question or to encourage them to find somewhere else to go to (like /dev/null).

I understand that it may become burdensome to the moderators but it is a technique that has been used on other forums to minimize disruptive influences.

So, unless the posters in question adhere to your qualifying precepts, they should be banned?

Who made you Sheriff Of The Internet?
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 07:51:42 AM »

So, unless the posters in question adhere to your qualifying precepts, they should be banned?

What's permitted in Misc is clearly laid out in a stickied post at the top of the forum section. Apparently, a few users have trouble reading it. That, or they simply don't care to abide by the rules.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »

What's permitted in Misc is clearly laid out in a stickied post at the top of the forum section. Apparently, a few users have trouble reading it. That, or they simply don't care to abide by the rules.

Misc sticky post rules
 "Please post only ham radio-related questions and topics to this and other eHam boards. Thanks. "

That person has not posted on eham in quite awhile, seems that every post he started or participated in ended up getting  locked or just disappeared entirely....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:10:35 AM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:45 AM »

That person has not posted on eham in quite awhile, seems that every post he started or participated in ended up getting  locked or just disappeared entirely....
Add another one to that tally.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »

Maybe a tap of the ban hammer will get the induhvidual in question to play nice?

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 06:19:35 PM »

Add another one to that tally.

And I predicted that thread would get locked or disappear...

https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,115121.msg1002291.html#msg1002291

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 02:11:30 AM »

The types of individuals that this might apply to may actually be getting satisfaction when the result is a locked thread. I can see where the entire thread goes Off-Topic and that is the right call. If it is just one individual who is throwing rocks then it may be more appropriate to remove them from the discussion.

There have been one or two threads by the individual that many of you are referring to where he actually did contribute in a positive way. I would not want to stifle everything that they have to say or contribute, just modify their behavior so they engage brain before the keyboard.
Right on Tisha, now to just get Mike on board with a little "quality control".

WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 06:40:59 AM »

Lookie that,  out came the threadlock again. Loctite must love that guy  Wink

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 11:42:14 AM »

Lookie that,  out came the threadlock again. Loctite must love that guy  Wink
In a radio-related thread, yet.

Meanwhile, two off-topic/non-radio threads live on...
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: