The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remotely Activate/Deactivate Cross Band Repeat  (Read 2902 times)
N3AE

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »

Does anyone know of a dual band 2M/70cm radio with cross band repeater capability where the cross band function can be enabled and disabled remotely.    Assume the radio is on, with desired frequencies, tones, etc ready to go.  Just need to remotely "turn on" and "turn off" the cross band repeat function.

Obvious way is Remote Rig, but assume the internet connection is lost, thus requiring some other means of turning on the cross band repeater function.  The radio need not be Remote Rig compatible, but remote control of the cross band repeater function is essential.

tnx
N3AE
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »

Not the answer you're looking for, but the way one local does it here is to use coded squelch.  Unless users enable the specific PL needed, the cross band stays silent.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:34:33 PM »

You can do that with the Kenwood TS2000

73 John AF5CC
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 03:18:24 AM »

You also want to take care that the cross link transmitter has an automatic IDer to meet FCC regs.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 07:56:28 AM »

You also want to take care that the cross link transmitter has an automatic IDer to meet FCC regs.

- Glenn W9IQ

Like anybody does that...
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 09:40:01 PM »

Like anybody does that...

"Today we are going to learn to make plutonium from common household items"

-Filo .. "Secrets of the Universe"
------------------

I love that movie.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
N3AE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:14:23 AM »

Some good ideas here.  I'll have to look at the TS2000.

A little more info about this need for remote control of cross band function...

I'm supporting the local ARES/RACES group.  Our county has an EOC in the basement of the courthouse.  Their comm uses a virtual TCP/IP LAN which connects them to a comm hut at the base of a tower approximately 3 miles away.  It's fiber backed up by microwave and claimed to be very reliable....10 to the minus 6 power probability of failure (I always doubt such claims having worked 40 years with redundant safety critical systems...they all have some common mode failure no one thought of until it happens).

ARES/RACES needs to be able to communicate to the regional emergency net on a repeater 25 miles away.   OK...no problem...we'll put an antenna on the roof of the courthouse.

OK...now the rub.   The local Hysterical Society, oops, I meant Historical Society, demands NO antennas higher than 5 ft on the historical courthouse,and placement options very limited.  We tried a small vertical and yagi but no joy reliably hitting or hearing the repeater due to terrain and nearby buildings.

So they want us to use Remote Rig, hook into their VLAN and put the RF deck over at the tower hut with an antenna up on the tower.   It troubles us to be using any part of the county infrastructure as a critical path for "when all else has failed" amateur radio communications.

So our backup would be to have another radio over in the tower hut to serve as a cross band repeater.  We can easily span the distance between the courthouse and tower on 440MHz with a very modest antenna.   But we don't want this radio on and in cross band all the time because the distant 2M repeater is heavily used....that means the 440MHz link to the court house would be alive a lot.  Running over to the tower hut to switch on cross band is impractical (access, key control, etc) and unsafe in the middle of bad weather.

So it's a chicken and egg problem.  If the VLAN goes down, need to switch to cross band repeater, but need the VLAN to command that mode change.

Seems the only way out of this dilemma is to set up our own custom control link using DTFM or similar method to switch a radio already set up as a cross band from a dummy load to an antenna on the tower.

Interesting problem and I'm probably not seeing a simpler solution.   Extendable masts (pneumatic or otherwise) on the courthouse are a no-no too.

N3AE
KC0MYW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »

Considering the big picture of what you are trying to accomplish, how about a multi-port repeater controller?

You can use DTMF sequences to enable/disable the two ports being linked together. Should be able to set it up so that this can be accomplished over your 440 link. Have the radio talking to the 2 meter repeater on one port and a radio set to your 440 frequency on another port.

Some of the controllers have IP based connectivity that you could use for enabling/disabling the port linking when the network connection is active, or you can control it remotely using DTMF tones if the connection is down or you're at a remote location not connected to that VLAN.

I haven't looked too closely lately but you could probably set it up this way for less than the cost of a TS-2000 and not have a full-featured HF rig sitting underutilized in the comm hut.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 10:11:41 AM »

A TM-V71A has all of the necessary features including remote control, ID, and time out timer

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
N3AE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 04:54:08 AM »

Glenn,

I looked at the TM-V71A manual, pages 85 and 86, wireless control, and there it is.  Can turn on and off cross band repeater with DTMF tones.   I can get my hands on a TM-V71A so I'll give it a try.  Many thanks!

N3AE
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 04:30:38 AM »

Glenn,

I looked at the TM-V71A manual, pages 85 and 86, wireless control, and there it is.  Can turn on and off cross band repeater with DTMF tones.   I can get my hands on a TM-V71A so I'll give it a try.  Many thanks!

N3AE

Yes on V71,  TS 2000 was designed for remote control access to using HF on it via a link through HT.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: