The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 is alive!  (Read 5937 times)
N4UE

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »

Take a look at the DXMAPS page for 6M openings. Nice to see some CW/SSB contacts versus the MSK stuff.

enjoy
ron
N4UE
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 04:11:02 PM »

Take a look at the DXMAPS page for 6M openings. Nice to see some CW/SSB contacts versus the MSK stuff.

enjoy
ron
N4UE

I agree, Ron. While I have nothing against the digital modes, CW/SSB (along with occasional FM simplex) will always be my favorite modes.
Thank you again for the QSO--it was good to meet you on the air, today.
Ray, WO2C

Ray, WO2C
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 06:01:11 PM »

enjoy
ron
N4UE
  6 and 10 meters have been opening a lot lately!  Nice to see activity there again!!   Roll Eyes
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 06:08:36 PM »

Even working some AM around 50.4 MHz

Pete, wa2cwa
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 04:26:53 AM »

enjoy
ron
N4UE
  6 and 10 meters have been opening a lot lately!  Nice to see activity there again!!   Roll Eyes

I would not call short term sporadic openings "opening a lot". You have a better chance of catching 2m tropo and covering greatly extended ranges during weather fronts this time of year than banking on 10 and 6.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 07:05:27 AM »

...I would not call short term sporadic openings "opening a lot"....

Yawn,....complain, complain, complain... you REALLY are boring.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 06:49:44 AM »

Here in the east it has been open several times a day all last week. The openings have been anywhere from 20 minutes to on and off for an hour or more.

Yesterday worked 3 stations in Scotland and one in France on CW. During the week worked stations all over central, south central and southern US.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 07:10:06 AM »

No unlike you I am a realist and not one to pander wishful thinking about a band that is dead more than 10m which is getting pretty dead too. To me ham radio is using rig and band you are 95% likely to work for task needed not 5% likely.  I have better things to do than listen to dead band space.

WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 07:32:03 AM »

No unlike you I am a realist and not one to pander wishful thinking about a band that is dead more than 10m which is getting pretty dead too. To me ham radio is using rig and band you are 95% likely to work for task needed not 5% likely.  I have better things to do than listen to dead band space.

That would depend on your location and equipment. I live in the east and there is lots of activity on 6 from NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, MD and VA all of which I can reach ground wave. I also live on top of a mountain, run 200 watts with a 6 element beam on a 24' boom at 60+ feet. If I point the beam east and call CQ on .125 SSB or .090 CW someone will answer 90+ percent of the time so there are a lot of hams listening on the calling frequencies. If your into Digital modes it's almost impossible to make a call on the JT65 or other 6 meter popular digital modes frequency without getting a response.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 08:28:51 AM »

Banking on 6m right now for a QSO is like banking on a car with a bad battery. Do you want to know battery is good and car will start or are you willing to except it may not start far more often than it does when you need it....

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »

I picked up some new grids over the weekend and some of the more exciting grids included Brazil, Dominican Republic and Canary Islands. I did briefly hear one station in Scotland at some point but it seems the midwest and new england were getting the better part of the EU opening.

6 meters can be a lot of fun, I never paid much attention to it until 5 or 10 years ago until one fateful field day when all the HF stations were full and nobody was sitting at the VHF station. It is pretty exciting when you get a really good opening and you are there to catch it! I don't have much of a setup compared to most but it's enough to have fun. As observed in this thread.. it's not a band that everyone enjoys. Hey, whatever floats your boat. Everyone finds things in this vast hobby they enjoy.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »

Don't know where you live but 6 & 10 meters has been open almost every day for the last couple of weeks.I worked the Canary Islands Today on 6 meter phone from Northeast Florida.6 meters has just died down in the last hour & it's 03:44 UTC now.Sorry that you live in a Dead Zone but both bands have been ROCKING here.Maybe you should move out of that hole so a signal can reach your antenna? LOL

Clayton
W4KVW
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 04:35:01 AM »

Yesterday, I got several more contacts to Europe as well the mid west (MN, KS, etc.)

Hope it keeps up and we have some good openings during the contest today!
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 05:39:29 AM »

Banking on 6m right now for a QSO is like banking on a car with a bad battery. Do you want to know battery is good and car will start or are you willing to except it may not start far more often than it does when you need it....

The prime time for "Sporadic" E-Skip is now through the end of July. Six meters is far from dead, in fact the sometimes the MUF goes much higher than that and affects the FM broadcast band and on occasion it can and has made it into the two meter band. That is fact and it happens every year around this time (and a lesser peak in December).  It has absolutely has nothing to do with the sunspot cycle. Peak time periods seem to be 10 AM through 1 pm and again from 4 PM to 10 pm, although there has been all day openings which start at 8 am and run beyond midnight!

I am surprised that you didn't know about the sporadic E-Skip season, it happens every year. Here is some nice DX of FM broadcast stations received via E-Skip

http://forums.wtfda.org/forumdisplay.php?24-Got-FM-DX

How about TV DX? It is just above the six meter band...

http://forums.wtfda.org/forumdisplay.php?46-Got-Analog-TV-DX

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 08:20:20 PM »

6 meters is on fire!  There was some TEP today and multi-hop openings from the east coast to west coast. I saw some EU openings as well.  Great E season so far.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: