The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 is alive!  (Read 5981 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 05:24:50 AM »

If I wanted reliable communications over long distances my first choice would be a cell phone. If I want a reliable source of fish for dinner tonight my first choice is the grocery store. The point is that we often do things for the challenge and the enjoyment, like 6M and fishing.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 05:58:42 AM »

For what it is worth, I have been looking at DX maps this morning and the MUF has been peaking above 108 Mhz in some areas for brief periods. Yesterday it was noted that that MUF peaked at 150 Mhz for a very short time in the south near Louisiana and Texas.

Six meters might be open right now in your area as you are reading this. There might be nothing at all and then it opens up just like that. Or it might very strong with local like signals only to die out completely but appears again just as suddenly it left. They don't call it sporadic for nothing.

But it adds to the fun of it all because it could be an all day barn-burner or it could just fizzle out. We are in the prime of the 'season' right now until the end of July. Enjoy it while it lasts...

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »

Anyone that thinks 6 is a dead band didn't operate this weekend. WOW, just wow.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »

50 grids in 2 days....
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 07:14:58 PM »

Both 6 and 10 were open!!!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 11:13:00 PM »

Take a look at the DXMAPS page for 6M openings. Nice to see some CW/SSB contacts versus the MSK stuff.

enjoy
ron
N4UE
 6 and 10 meters have been opening a lot lately!  Nice to see activity there again!!   Roll Eyes

I would not call short term sporadic openings "opening a lot". You have a better chance of catching 2m tropo and covering greatly extended ranges during weather fronts this time of year than banking on 10 and 6.

There's always that "one guy" that's gotta be a......well, you know! Smh

First, you have to understand the science behind radio propagation to know what to do with it and appreciate it.

Second, you have to appreciate the challenge.

Third, be optimistic and competitive

Fourth, You can't be a downer and lazy ass. These bands aren't for those type of people plain and simple.

Each band has its pro's and con's along with purpose. Each band serves it purpose well, but it isn't for the lazy faint of heart. For some, it can be a vice when they can't afford and install large arrays. The hunt when in season much like waiting for winter so the 80m band can provide better signals is like waiting for spring, summer and fall for VHF and above to come alive.

I for one enjoyed the hell out of the little time over the weekend I was able to put into the 6m band this week. Knowing CW helped a lot and this week all week has been great for 10m and 6m. Before this horrible solar cycle the VHF and above bands have been a blast, but with openings lately brings me too appreciate them more. Not to mention got me thinking more positive, confident and an eye opener for the capabilitys of what I'be been using. If I hadn't taken the time to experiment I wouldn't have used the antenna I used not intended for 6m and forced to purchase, or home brew one unecessarily. Now I know!

I know they'll be more openings this year and how ever little they are and short QSO's it still "ham radio". Everyone has a right to an opinion, but does't make it right.

Enjoy the openings!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:15:39 PM by N2RRA » Logged
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 06:46:34 AM »

over the weekend, I worked two stations in Hawaii, and 5 in Japan on 6 from West Tn.

not to mention numerous North and South America stations.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 08:01:51 AM »

There is always some guy that cannot see the bigger picture and calls sporadic E's on 6 a real opening with it is just that, a sporadic opening and little more and nothing you can bank on and they will decrease in frequency as summer wanes too. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »

Yep great conditions for sure. My homebrew Moxon did okay, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and build a 4 element LFA yagi.

Max
VE3TMT
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »

There is always some guy that cannot see the bigger picture and calls sporadic E's on 6 a real opening with it is just that, a sporadic opening and little more and nothing you can bank on and they will decrease in frequency as summer wanes too. 

There's always that one (Mr. NEGATIVE) guy too put a damper on things for others cause he can't work a band for various reasons. I'm guessing you missed my point and being you missed it let me be blunt.

Just stfu!

Everyone enjoyed "the opening" on 6m and it was just that. An opening! Why the negative conotations on someone's comment about the 6m band being open all week and even the last three days of awesome propagation on 6m? Your not telling us anything everyone doesn't already know for one about the temporary propagation the VHF bands provide. Second, we all know it's seasonal, but while you have a good to great E-opening with as close to D-layer and F-layer propagation we'll then there are cheers and smiles to enjoy all the way around. That's why we're all happy to see the season yet once again here and more to come abroad. I worked over 40 grids and 137 QSO's in just a ten hour scattered period over the weekend with a compromised 2el. Yagi not designed for 6m with just 100watts. That's great if you ask me being in a valley surrounded by hills no less. That is a good opening. Don't know what your idea of an opening is, or what you expect from 6m and up, but last I knew it hasn't changed much the last century. Maybe 40yrs ago was a bit better, but not much different. Maybe this year I predict we'll have an opening on 2m like we did on 6m over this past weekend. Let's see!

So please, don't try to put a damper on people's spirits and detour them from building, or purchasing a 6m antenna too participate in the future. That just plain sucks!

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »

Take a look at the DXMAPS page for 6M openings. Nice to see some CW/SSB contacts versus the MSK stuff.

enjoy
ron
N4UE
  6 and 10 meters have been opening a lot lately!  Nice to see activity there again!!   Roll Eyes

I would not call short term sporadic openings "opening a lot". You have a better chance of catching 2m tropo and covering greatly extended ranges during weather fronts this time of year than banking on 10 and 6.

One other thing!

The real reason why 6m seems so dead is ONLY because people have given it such a negative image that many have lost interest. Lost, lots of interest. So when operators decide to homebrew again and learn some patience and hang out more often on the band I'm "positive" we'll see more "openings" and activity. So many cases I've heard beacons 1000+ miles away and no one on the band to enjoy it. 73!

Refresher course for some.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »

I totally agree. Back in the early 60's 6M AM was the place where many locals would hang out (2M FM took over that job in later years). In addition, most transmitters were crystal controlled so the process was to call CQ and then tune the lower MHz of the band looking for answers. This meant that when there was an opening, there was often activity and people tuning around the band to realize it. Today a lot of openings are missed due to lack of normal activity. Recently I have been playing with MSK144 on 6M. Sometimes I call CQ and get no response. When I go on the Internet and look at PSK Reporter I find that half a dozen stations around the Midwest reported hearing my signal.

Another aid back in the 60's was channel 2 TV. If I was watching the local channel 2 station and saw cross hatch pattern caused by interference from a distant channel 2 station I know it was time to go check 6M for an opening.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »

There's always that one (Mr. NEGATIVE) guy too put a damper on things for others cause he can't work a band for various reasons.

No you mean Mr honest. I tell it like it is while you are one more for putting lipstick on a pig...

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »

There's always that one (Mr. NEGATIVE) guy too put a damper on things for others cause he can't work a band for various reasons.

No you mean Mr honest. I tell it like it is while you are one more for putting lipstick on a pig...

Bet ya it's opposite standing side by side. Lol

73 grumpy!
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »

A friend of mine made nearly 500 QSO's and 116 grids in this weekend's contest. Single band VUCC in a little over a day with 7 elements at 45'  He referred to it as a dream of a lifetime, and I'd have to agree.  Some "get" 6, and some don't.  I find it to be the most exciting and remarkable of the band's.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:39:47 PM by K3GM » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: