The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 is alive!  (Read 5970 times)
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »

A friend of mine made nearly 500 QSO's and 116 grids in this weekend's contest. Single band VUCC in a little over a day with 7 elements at 45'  He referred to it as a dream of a lifetime, and I'd have to agree.  Some "get" 6, and some don't.  I find it to be the most exciting and remarkable of the band's.

WOOOOW! That is crazy!

It's not only impressive, but remarkable.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 06:00:59 AM »

I only had a couple of hours on Sunday to work the contest and I worked mostly CW, I had 74 contacts. I looked, out of curiosity, to see what I have done on 6 since June 1st. 147 contacts, 4 European country's.  Not sure how many grids or states but a lot.

Dead air, no activity, waste of operating time, I don't think so! Will the band diminish as the summer goes on, yep. Will it go away completely, no. At my QTH & with my 6 meter setup I can make contacts anytime, band opening or not.

Not every ones "cup of tea" sure everyone has aspects of amateur radio they like and don't like, I feel the same way about 2 meter repeaters.

KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 10:14:01 AM »

Sunday alone I worked more than 70 grids and 100 Qs on 6 and that was not a full day operating (about 5 hours).
That doesn't include 2 and 432.

My measure of band openings is when the data people around .276 start complaing about the phase ops
moving up and up to get out of the clutter.  This Sunday was such that I worked a few that were above .300
looking for clear space.

FYI The setup was 140W and a 5 element yagi at 35ft.    Biggest problem was I could hear as many as 5 ops on the exact same frequency that could hear me but not each other.  It was a band wide pileup.  Worked a lot of 8s too.

Most signals Sunday were literally pinning the meter with 12db attenuation switched in.  Very common with a wide
open single hop Es.

A local friend Sunday worked 29Qs using a dipole including a C6 station.

Most people that hear little on 6 in my experience were using no preamp not he radio (turned off) or a poor antenna.
A marginal antenna really lowers the fun quotent.

Allison/kb1GMX
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »

So many are using pretty much all JT65 so only their computer is actually making ANY contacts & it does not even have a license.Nothing worthy of bragging rights best i can tell.6 minutes per QSO & the operator never hears a word on either end just digital noise when the signals are strong enough? No Magic in that?

Clayton
W4KVW
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »

.....6 minutes per QSO & the operator never hears a word on either end just digital noise when the signals are strong enough? No Magic in that?

Clayton
W4KVW
There's magic in every 6m DX contact!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2017, 11:40:49 AM »

So many are using pretty much all JT65 so only their computer is actually making ANY contacts...
Clayton
W4KVW

So it's not a contact unless you can copy it with your ears?? Seeing it with your eyes doesn't count? Why not take it a step farther and say it's not a contact unless you hear the RF with your ears - using a receiver to detect and demodulate the signal doesn't count?

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »

So many are using pretty much all JT65 so only their computer is actually making ANY contacts...
Clayton
W4KVW

So it's not a contact unless you can copy it with your ears?? Seeing it with your eyes doesn't count? Why not take it a step farther and say it's not a contact unless you hear the RF with your ears - using a receiver to detect and demodulate the signal doesn't count?

Somehow it is not just that same as a CW or SSB contact because it is not personal per say. I think maybe they should have QSO's for CW, SSB, RTTY and such and QCO's for computer automated contacts.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »

Clayton
W4KVW

I don't want my computer making any contacts for me since it does NOT have a license.Very impersonal to me & zero joy not hearing a single word or man made sound.If I am not making the contact then it won't be made.Digital modes just make it about as impersonal as it can just about get.They should just call it what it is,Computer talk because that's all it is.I'm sure many are making contacts & they are nowhere near their radios because they have figured out how it can all be done without them being there at all.Now that is so Special but they can't yet brag about it since it's not legal just yet but I'm sure it won't be long & it will be because the ARRL will fight for it & tell everyone just how important it is & they will fight a great fight for it so remember too send them some more money so they call have a convention in Vegas & discuss it over dinner & drinks for a week or so. LOL   Shocked

Clayton
W4KVW

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »

I've been playing some with MSK144 on 6M for the last month or so. From VA, I'm copying stations from all over the Midwest most every morning and many times in the afternoons. Most of the signals are too weak to work on SSB or even CW. There's a lot more propagation on 6M than you'd ever know by tuning around the voice or cw segments. MSK144 has a 15 second Tx/Rx cycle so it's a lot quicker than JT65.

Add PSK Reporter to the mix any you can see on a map where the stations that you hear or work are located. That makes propagation much more interesting to me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:17:43 PM by AA4PB » Logged
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »

I personally agree with Clayton. I've been on 6M since 1970. Did a lot of AM ops from the mountains in New England. Big 'ole 7 Watts, had a blast.
There was a fictional article in a very old 73 mag about a young, newbie ham with a T60 transmitter. He was asked by a nearby old-timer, if he wanted to operate his high $ state-of-the-art superstation.
The young guy was turned off by all the 'automated' equipment. Remember, this was in the early 70s b4 PCs and the internet. He took a look around the old fart's shack and declined. As he walked home, he remarked to himself, "the T60 will be just fine".

I see this trend, now. I subscribe to DX Maps and almost every QSO is JT65 or MSK144.
I don't operate those modes, but I could. I DO (!!) like the fact there is MORE 6M activity. It's good for everyone. However, it's just not for me. I can fire up the TR-6 and work scatter modes..... I have a large antenna, up high, good QTH, use Hardline and can run legal limit power, if I need to.
6 will always be my band of choice. It truly is 'magic'.

ron
N4UE
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 05:54:53 AM »

I've been playing some with MSK144 on 6M for the last month or so...

Add PSK Reporter to the mix any you can see on a map where the stations that you hear or work are located. That makes propagation much more interesting to me.

I've been dabbling in 6m digital since putting up my 80m dipole (which my antenna tuner can coax into tuning up on 6). I like how I can tune in and work digital modes without having to make any noise. The digital modes are also good at picking out weak, almost inaudible, signals. I get it that it's not like rag chewing, but it's much more interactive than two computers chatting. Using a keyboard to modulate the signal is no better or worse than using a microphone or key.

I also want to put in some props for Pskreporter. It's nice to be able to tell when no ne is answering whether it's because I'm not getting out or just that no one is listening.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2017, 07:59:50 AM »

I've been playing some with MSK144 on 6M for the last month or so. From VA, I'm copying stations from all over the Midwest most every morning and many times in the afternoons. Most of the signals are too weak to work on SSB or even CW. There's a lot more propagation on 6M than you'd ever know by tuning around the voice or cw segments. MSK144 has a 15 second Tx/Rx cycle so it's a lot quicker than JT65.

Good points. SSB is fine, but the new digital modes are much more interesting to many of us.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »

Maybe the Clowns at the ARRL will come up with a New Worked All Computers Award.They waste a lot of money & effort on other stuff that makes just as much sense.While they are at it maybe they will require all computers used for making contacts too also get an Amateur Radio License since they are actually making the contacts not any humans who own them So they should be required too have a license needed for whatever band they are making the contacts on.  Shocked   Embarrassed

Clayton
W4KVW
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2017, 07:35:43 AM »

When the band is open for SSB all I hear is "you're 599 FM 18". Exactly the same exchange that takes place on the digital modes. My computer doesn't make any contacts on its own. As the control operator I am always present and it does not transmit without my command to do so. The only difference is that instead of copying with my ears, I copy with my eyes. That and the fact that I can copy much weaker signals.

WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »

Move off .125, there are qso's taking place during band openings on SSB as well as CW although I have no idea why a SSB 599 report is sent, I have never heard anyone send that. The majority of the reports I hear during band openings on 6 SSB are "real" RS reports and "real" RST reports on CW.

Digital/SSB/CW/FM/AM/SSTV, etc. is a matter of personal preference, when the band is open I prefer CW and sometimes SSB but that's just me. The other day during a opening I went to the AM frequency and had a ball working guys, it was like stepping back in time 30 years, I worked guys with HE45B's, SR42's one with a T60, a Shawnee, a Clegg 66 and even a SIXER!

There are many contacts to be had via digital when there is nothing to be heard on SSB or CW so I say whatever floats your boat and take advantage and use every mode you have the ability to operate and you enjoy.

What comes around goes around, I was on the air when SSB (well it was actually DSB then SSB) started to catch fire and you would think it was going to be the demise of amateur radio. Hams making fun of other hams calling them donald duck operators, that it was not a real voice mode, and YES even suggestions that the ARRL might make awards for contacts with SSB ops.

Were Amateur Radio Operators with tons of options, use what you want and what you enjoy but don't make fun or criticize others that have interests or enjoy working modes with methods other than those you prefer.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: