The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamfest Damage Report  (Read 23518 times)
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 08:00:50 AM »

Were you there? 
Do you liive here? Did you see morning news with all the damaged grass and mud? Do you eally have a clue to aftermath?? I say no on all three. I was actually surprised at pictures/video on news. It was a mess
There are those who look at an 8 oz glass containing 4 oz of beer, and say "The glass is half-full."

There are those who look at an 8 oz glass containing 4 oz of beer, and say "The glass is half-empty."

I don't think it's very hard to figure out which of those two camps you fall into.

[ Me?  I look at an 8 oz glass containing 4 oz of beer, and say "Barkeep!  Time for a refill!" ]
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 08:01:37 AM »

I have confidence that DARA will find a solution. 

Do not bank on it. They choose this place remember because they said it was best there was available.. (actually cheapest there was and you can see why now)

DARA would of been money ahead to rent a proper place at start after repair costs.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »

Give it a rest, JX.  You have no credibility here.  As others have said, if you think you can do better, either offer your services to DARA (although something tells me those bridges were burned long ago), or start your own hamfest and show everybody how it's supposed to be done.

Until then, just shut up. Roll Eyes
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »

Growing pains.

Growing pains with 52 years experience? You have got to be kidding. You would expect this from someone with little or no experience and not at what is supposed to be a world class event duh...  Even I know around here you do not bank on parking cars in grass for a large event in May. This is not excusable but will be to the sheep.
Again with the insults.

You sir, are not a shepherd.  If only you were -- then we could ask you to get the flock out of here.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »

There are those who look at an 8 oz glass containing 4 oz of beer, and say "The glass is half-full."
There are those who look at an 8 oz glass containing 4 oz of beer, and say "The glass is half-empty."

And there are those like the sheep that only see the beer they want to drink and do not care if it is in a toilet.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 08:04:27 AM »

You sir, are not a shepherd.  If only you were -- then we could ask you to get the flock out of here.

You have serious reality problems about growing pains.

W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 08:05:08 AM »

I have confidence that DARA will find a solution. 
Do not bank on it. They choose this place remember because they said it was best there was available.. (actually cheapest there was and you can see why now)

DARA would of been money ahead to rent a proper place at start after repair costs.
Of course, your comments would have a smidgen of credibility if you could offer a viable alternative in the Dayton vicinity that would have been better suited, better priced, and available.

You have been asked to do so, and thus back up your allegations, multiple times in multiple threads.  You have yet to do so.

"Talk is cheap.  Whiskey costs money."  -- Roger Zelazny
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 08:06:42 AM »

And there are those like the sheep that only see the beer they want to drink and do not care if it is in a toilet.

Then there are those who will insist the beer is in a toilet even after someone shows them pictures of a nice, clean mug.

Seriously, are you ever going to apologize to Greene County Fairgrounds for misrepresenting their facilities which, by all reports, were bright, clean, fresh smelling, and perfectly suited for human occupation?
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 08:07:33 AM »

You have serious reality problems about growing pains.
Growing Pains?  Never watched the show, don't know anything about it.  Sorry.

So how about that viable alternative to the Greene County Fairgrounds, hmmm?  
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »

Of course, your comments would have a smidgen of credibility if you could offer a viable alternative in the Dayton vicinity that would have been better suited, better priced, and available.
You have been asked to do so, and thus back up your allegations, multiple times in multiple threads.  You have yet to do so.

There was a lot of options and you would know that IF you lived around here like I do but they cost more and DARA is cheap because it knows sheep like you will defend them and come. There was scuttlebutt for years about moving it to state fair grounds but DARA did not want to pay for it and as argued it could not leave Dayton even though Elvis has now in fact left the building. State fair ground would of been a turn key operation with more room than they would ever need, no mud when it rains, plenty of parking and room for everything inside too, no porta poties and has AC too so weather wet or dry, cold or hot would have no effect on it. Would take very little planning because it unlike Xenia was designed for major events and can handle 75k people and more not 3 to 5000.  A real world class event would use a place like that and not a barnyard with mud. Funny thing is attendance would of been a lot better too. I would of gladly paid 25 or more for a ticket there.

W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »

Ohio State Fairgrounds in Columbus?  That is not in the Dayton area, that is over an hour away.  Not a viable alternative.

What viable alternatives are there in the Dayton area?

And can you actually answer this simple question, which you have previously claimed you could, without resorting to insults? 

W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »

Ohio State Fairgrounds in Columbus?  That is not in the Dayton area, that is over an hour away.  Not a viable alternative.

Yup... asking volunteers to drive over two-hours round-trip for site surveys, meetings, set-up, and so on makes the Ohio Fairgrounds an unattractive option. 

But hey, maybe JX will put his money where his big mouth is and organize his own hamfest at the Ohio Fairgrounds, just to show us all how it's supposed to be done.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 08:47:01 AM »

Yup... asking volunteers to drive over two-hours round-trip for site surveys, meetings, set-up, and so on makes the Ohio Fairgrounds an unattractive option. 

But hey, maybe JX will put his money where his big mouth is and organize his own hamfest at the Ohio Fairgrounds, just to show us all how it's supposed to be done.
I have to admit, moving to Columbus would be nicer for ME and my friends.  That's a 75 - 90 minute stretch each way we could shave off the drive.  And I'm sure that there would be more options available for lodging. food, and other misc. entertainment.

But -- that move also would mean additional driving or other transportation costs & aggravations for everyone coming from the West of Dayton, and most coming generally from the Northwest & Southwest.

So it's just not going to fly.

Even so, the Ohio State Fairgrounds sounds like a WONDERFUL venue.  I'm SURE that W8JX is busy right now planning a new hamfest for sometime later this year or next to sprout up at that very location! 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 09:13:08 AM »

DARA could of charted buses for workers but was too cheap to do that and as I heard it many years ago this killed deal.

A world class show needs a world class venue and that certainly is not barnyard and the mud pits of Xenia. Columbus has over 3x population of Dayton and 20 or 30x that a Xenia. It has a better airport and connections, tons of motels and restaurants. The facilities is light years ahead of Xenia and HARA too.   

DARA has been trying to put on big boy pants and act big yet picks a dump. They need to either do it right or resign from it. I for one would rather they resign because this year proved to me that DARA does not have a clue on how to do it proper and it only interested in doing it as cheap as possible. Time for another group in another town to take the reins.

W1PJE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »

Do you liive here? Did you see morning news with all the damaged grass and mud? Do you eally have a clue to aftermath?? I say no on all three. I was actually surprised at pictures/video on news. It was a mess

I WAS THERE on both days, in the infield, walking along.  Mud was a problem, as any infield can be with rain.  But it was not insurmountable, so what's your point?

I'll repeat again: WERE YOU THERE?  Should I assume you were not since you didn't say?  If you were not there, I discount your statements in favor of my own evidence, where I walked the fields myself.

As to your other statements:

2)  Yes, I saw the news footage online.  What's the point of your question?

3)  "Do You Have A Clue Really About Aftermath"?  I don't see anything in this statement that I can respond to that is beyond an ad hominem attempt, so I won't.

It's pretty unfortunate when your discussions devolve into name calling and gross characterization rather than a discussion.  (For example, can you reply to this post without using the word "sheep"?)  This seems to be a common pattern with your responses.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: