The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SV2/SV1RP/A - Mount Athos  (Read 6306 times)
N0UN

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:03:34 PM »

George (SV1RP) operating as SV2/SV1RP/A on Mount Athos is presently working 20M CW (14.008.90) with a great signal.

Any word if he was ever DXCC approved?

My damn hand was shaking so damn bad in all the excitement I barely was able to give him "599 1". Kinda'.

N0UN working SV2/SV1RP/A - 20M CW

N0UN
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:22:21 PM by N0UN » Logged

PA1MR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 04:08:31 AM »

Congrats!

I've just worked him (simplex) on 14.013.5 MHz (CW). Mount Athos is always a big question mark. So it's WFWL, as usual. Not everyone in Europe seems to have good conditions with George (if it's really him), so others outside Europe might have a good chance at working him too. GL all!

VY 73 de PA1MR Douwe
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 05:03:44 AM »

Yes, what a pleasant surprise this afternoon!

I worked George just before 2pm local on 20 m long path. He didn't seem to be hearing terribly well, but he stuck with me till we were both sure of our QSO. Good signal here, about S5-6.
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:23:13 PM »

Congrats Wayne!

Someone just spotted him on 14.009 minutes ago, but it's too late for me, it's 1:20 am in VE3.

Marvin VE3VEE
OH1HAQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »

Not looking good, but WFWL. 
https://dx-world.net/a-reponse-from-monk-apollo-sv2asp-a/

And no dxcc approval of the previous operation... 
SV1BDO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 01:15:35 AM »

Hi to all,

As far as I know, George was really in Mt. Athos, operating from Koutloumousiou monastery. On May 27, he posted the following picture in his Facebook profile

He claims that he has a licence to operate issued by the Koutloumousiou monastery, but still has not a licence issued by the Holly Council, the document that is required from ARRL for DXCC aproval.

Some history now. After DJ6SI Baldur's operation, the Holy Council (let's say that is the "local goernment" of Mt. Athos), decided not to aprove all future requests for Ham Radio operations, that will carried by civilian people (not monks). They said that they will issue licences for amateur radio operations only to monks that are residents in any of the 21 monasteries of Mt. Athos.

Monk Iakovos, SV2RSCG, lives permenently in Koutloumousiou Monastery, but as far as I know, he does not have any kind of document regarding his Amateur Radio Activity issued by the Holy Councli of Mt. Athos. His operations are 100% legal according to Greek ham radio laws, but his QSL cards are not aproved for DXCC credit, as he has not submit the documents that are required from ARRL to validate his activity for DXCC aproval.

73, Sotiris SV1BDO
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 03:52:58 AM »

Here we go again...

I did work Apollo on 20 m last year, so the 20 m QSO with George on the weekend is a bonus.

I suppose I'll just have to send for a QSL card from Apollo if I am to get this confirmed.
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 04:16:50 AM »

I suppose I'll just have to send for a QSL card from Apollo if I am to get this confirmed.

Luke,

Apollo's been very consistent with his replying to my direct QSL requests. In a 12 month period I worked him 3 times (SSB, CW, and RTTY). I received each of the three QSLs from him in just under 30 days ($5 + SAE).

Marvin VE3VEE
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 08:26:40 AM »

Perhaps it's time the ARRL DXCC re-evaluates what it believes to be "required documentation" for Mount Athos.  A shift from the Holy Council to the Individual Monastery, or even to Greek government qualification(s) doesn't seem to be much to ask.  But me thinks the ARRL DXCC Desk is still recovering from their recent deletion/reinstatement of KH4 Midway and KH7 Kure Islands so laying low for a few years is probably the play.

Personally, I'm waiting for Club Log (or some other private entity) to come up with their own program similar to DXCC.  Why not?  Paper, trophy and plaque chasers would trip over themselves to push a PayPal button for that certificate/trophy/plaque. Especially if Honor Roll was say 300 Countries, and instead of "#1 Top of Honor Roll" they could buy that "Super Duper Ham" certificate (worthy of framing), lol.

N0UN
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:43:20 AM by N0UN » Logged

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »

Personally, I'm waiting for Club Log (or some other private entity) to come up with their own program similar to DXCC.  Why not?  Paper, trophy and plaque chasers would trip over themselves to push a PayPal button for that certificate/trophy/plaque. Especially if Honor Roll was say 300 Countries, and instead of "#1 Top of Honor Roll" they could buy that "Super Duper Ham" certificate (worthy of framing), lol.

If you want worthless wallpaper by the square yard, there's eQSL and a lot of other ones you can print out.

I can see chasing DXCC but don't see any point in even the long-standing WPX, WAZ, and WAC paper.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 09:54:07 AM »

I can see chasing DXCC but don't see any point in even the long-standing WPX, WAZ, and WAC paper.

I agree that WPX and WAC are not much of a challenge even to the occasional operator, but WAZ is a different story.

73 de Vince, VA3VF
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »

Personally, I'm waiting for Club Log (or some other private entity) to come up with their own program similar to DXCC.  Why not?

N0UN

The issue here is acceptance and recognition. If that's not important, then you can create your own awards.  Grin

73 de Vince, VA3VF
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 10:06:31 AM »

Personally, I'm waiting for Club Log (or some other private entity) to come up with their own program similar to DXCC.  Why not?

N0UN

The issue here is acceptance and recognition. If that's not important, then you can create your own awards.  Grin

73 de Vince, VA3VF

I'm striving for my gold etched "250 Posts on eHam" plaque.

Sad

N0UN

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »

I'm striving for my gold etched "250 Posts on eHam" plaque.

Sad

N0UN

This is one award that benefits from bad propagation.  Wink

73 de Vince, VA3VF
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 06:47:05 PM »

The issue here is acceptance and recognition. If that's not important, then you can create your own awards.

Or simply collect the QSOs and stop worrying about Newington's approval.  That may be the most realistic pathway out there to making DXCC less relevant.  I already know folks that do this.  "I know what I worked" is what they say.  The numbers are small today, but they could grow, especially if animus to the league grows with it somehow.

It's inconceivable today to see DXCC's premier position undermined.  The network effects are strong.

But even the strongest franchise can be undermined.  Just ask Windows.  Yes, it still sells a lot, but not on phones or tablets.  It's actually dwarfed, in sales volume, by other personal devices.  That seems as unlikely to reverse as the slow but sure decline of mainframes' and their importance.  Both sit in the corner and make lots of money.  But they are not where the future is.

I personally think the league, overall, has done a nice job keeping things going.  They corrected their recent misstep, which is actually hard for most bureaucracies to do.  That should be viewed as a sign of health.

Still, they have drastically raised outgoing QSL fees.  A move that is (as I have already said) defensible.  But, a lot of good seeming moves fail.  Time will tell if this is well-accepted or whether it leads to a reduced participation in DXCC Challenge in particular.  And it is Challenge that is now, realistically, the day in, day out award that really matters.  If DXing becomes entirely about Mixed DXCC, then a lot of folks will go to sleep, in effect, as far as DXCC goes.  After a while, long before HR (never mind #1 HR) is made, it thins out as far as "new ones" go.  That will create a potential opening for something else to matter.  I suspect the Challenge was created in no small part because of that.

If we worked at it, we could imagine other pathways for DXCC to lose.  None are imaginable today.  Or even tomorrow.  But many tomorrows later?  That depends on events.  Stranger things have happened than a loss of prestige for someone's hobby organization.  There are always alternatives:  CQ's DX program, eQSL, even DARC's WAE and maybe more someday.

Today, these are feeble fantasies.  But, stranger things have happened.  Mismanage it enough and even the strongest position can be undermined.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: