The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF/UHF Mobile or HT for APRS (positioning)  (Read 4174 times)
AJ4DW

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2017, 11:26:29 AM »

Just getting back on the air after about four years off due to illness. I have a good selection of base, mobile and HTs but I'd like to know if there are available mobiles and/or HTs (VHF or dual band) that are capable of beaconing on the appropriate frequency and still allow me to operate on another frequency without having to do anything additional.
KC0MYW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:38:37 AM »

There may be others but there are two mobiles I know of for sure:

Kenwood TM-D710 (my personal choice)

Yaesu FTM-400DR
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »

Just getting back on the air after about four years off due to illness. I have a good selection of base, mobile and HTs but I'd like to know if there are available mobiles and/or HTs (VHF or dual band) that are capable of beaconing on the appropriate frequency and still allow me to operate on another frequency without having to do anything additional.

Add the Kenwood HTs (TH-D72 and TH-D74 in current production, as well as the previous TH-D7) to the list of those that can do APRS on one frequency while you use another frequency for other FM work.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK
AJ4DW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 05:59:22 AM »

Many thanks to all of you for your help. I'm really looking forward to getting back on HF also and I've got the equipment for that but I've started  doing service again (recent Tour de Cure) and my club is looking into APRS positioning beaconing for our SAGs and sweeps.

Again, thank you all
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 06:33:19 AM »

I have both a base and a mobile FTM-400XDR as well as a FT2DR HT from Yaesu. All very nice kit.

That said, if I had it to do over, I might go with the Kenwood line, as the Yaesu radios lack full TNC function, and are "One-Way" in a sense. Adding a separate TNC isn't quite so easy, as they are fairly complicated to set-up, configure and use with the FTM-400 radios (unless you are much better than am I).

Bret/N4SRN

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: