The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-857D Changes behaviour when in vehicle  (Read 2094 times)
VE7PGB

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:36:50 AM »

I use a FT-857D in a portable kit as my main radio in my home. Programmed into it is our clubs 15 or so repeaters (All require 100hz tone) that we maintain and then about 80 repeaters that I would need while traveling. When at home I easily can hit our clubs various repeaters and talk with people, no issues.

When I take the portable kit and put it into my vehicle, with an ATAS-120 antenna that is only used for HF and attach a dual band antenna for VHF/UHF to the unit, none of my local repeaters respond. I can hear them though. However once I get driving and get out of our clubs repeater coverage and get to other locations, everything works fine. The other repeaters require tones as well.

There is nothing in the programming or how the control head is configured changed when taking the unit and mounting it into the vehicle.

I have used a hand held and verified that the unit is transmitting on the frequency of the repeater when in the car, but haven't verified the tone yet, but why would that programming change going into the car ?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »

but why would that programming change going into the car ?

My first thought is a possible RFI issue in car effecting rig....

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »

Try it with the engine off

Ripple or sub audible noise on transmit may be distorting the 100hz tone
VE7PGB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 03:04:01 PM »

I have tried it with engine off / on. Hmmm maybe the HID lights are causing an issue with the power.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »

I have tried it with engine off / on. Hmmm maybe the HID lights are causing an issue with the power.

You likely have a RFI issue but you could try this, put a 75,000 or better ufd cap in parallel with rig. This will remove any ripple noise in power feed. If that fixes it then you know it is a power noise issue.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »

http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2014/12/31/how-to-remove-radio-interference-using-ferrite-coils-for-hid-and-led-headlights/

Summed up, try wrapping the power leads of your radio on a ferrite bead.

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:49:56 PM »

Search the eHam reviews for my review of this POS transceiver & see that you are blessed if you actually have one that operates like it should at any time.WORST transceiver EVER produced hands down in my honest opinion.   Shocked

Clayton
W4KVW
VE7PGB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »

Well I actually enjoy the radio and have pulled off many a long distance QSO's with it.

What I have discovered is that I have been leaving the USB to CAT adapter cable in place, with no computer attached. This seems to affect the operation of the radio some how. If I disconnect it from the CAT connector at the back of the radio, everything works correctly.

When I operate the radio at home, the USB portion of the cable is plugged in and everything functions correctly.
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 06:40:03 PM »

Search the eHam reviews for my review of this POS transceiver & see that you are blessed if you actually have one that operates like it should at any time.WORST transceiver EVER produced hands down in my honest opinion.   Shocked

Clayton
W4KVW

Respectfully disagree.

Although I don't use it mobile, I do use it from home, and portable for events like Field Day.
The FT-857D is a radio that has never let me down, and has done everything I have asked
of it for 7 years now, and has never, ever given me a bit of trouble as long as the power
supply voltage stays up.

The only time it ever misbehaved is when I had a cell die in a deep cycle battery at Field
Day one year. But that wasn't the fault of the radio. The FT-857D doesn't like a supply
voltage below about 11.5VDC.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat, and would recommend one to anybody.
It isn't a perfect radio by any means, and it isn't the best at anything.
But it does just about everything you could want, and it does it pretty well.

The only thing I have done to mine is install a 300Hz CW filter.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:45:04 PM by N8AUC » Logged
VE7PGB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »

So follow up for people. I have discovered that if I left the USB to CAT cable plugged into the back of the radio, but not into a computer ( as it would be used in the vehicle typically ) it somehow affected the tones being transmitted. If I was to plug a laptop into the cable, while in the vehicle everything started to work fine.

So now when I go mobile, I disconnect the CAT cable, as it isn't required.

When I use packet while mobile, the cable goes back in Smiley

Strange is all what I can say.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: