The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: want to know what band is 'hot' now?  (Read 5648 times)
ON5MF

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »

Hi,

since a few weeks I have made some software to show on what band there is activity NOW.

Please have a look at http://www.on5mf.be/rbn-propagation-analysis/ and choose your continent.

For now the data is solely based on RBN spots (CW + digital) but soon I'll also have a link to a 'regular' dxcluster so the SSB spots will be added to the calculations.

Please feel free to test and send me your comments.

It is all running in beta but at least the system survived the recent WPX-CW contest  Smiley

Obviously most of the spots are EU but of course that's because there are more skimmers in EU than in the rest of the world.

Mostly (low power) rtty contesting using OQ6A, sometimes dxing using ON5MF
in november '14,'15,'16,'17 and '18 also OP5MF, special prefix in commemoration of 100 years WW 1

www.on5mf.be
KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:13:42 PM »

You have made some nice software. I would like to see each continent broken down into smaller areas. For example, propagation can be completely different from the East and West coasts of North America. In my case - Oceania - it might be broken down into four areas. Right now the Spot Analysis shows 36 RBN spots from Oceania to Europe but in Hawaii I hear nothing and it's a bit late in the morning for Europe.
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »

I would like to see each continent broken down into smaller areas. For example, propagation can be completely different from the East and West coasts of North America.

Thanks for the feedback!

That's probably one for the 'wish-list'. For now I get only the continent from the prefix.
For this I use a largely simplified version of the cty-list the different logging software is using.

I'll have to try and find a way to rapidly translate the callsigns/prefixes into those areas.

in november '14,'15,'16,'17 and '18 also OP5MF, special prefix in commemoration of 100 years WW 1

www.on5mf.be
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 02:44:22 PM »

I'll have to try and find a way to rapidly translate the callsigns/prefixes into those areas.

Determining the location of active DX station requires multiple techniques: callsign analysis (prefix and suffix), country databases, and DX spot note analysis. Here's an example of what fine-grained location information permits:

Scan DX
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »

Yes Dave I know it is all possible, but I'm very far from being as proficient in programming as you are  Embarrassed

For the record, this is my very first Python program!

Of course for my application I don't need as much detail as you use in dxview.

I learned a lot and I had a lot of fun developing this.

www.on5mf.be
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 05:29:22 PM »

Yes Dave I know it is all possible, but I'm very far from being as proficient in programming as you are  Embarrassed

For the record, this is my very first Python program!

Excellent! My advice is to learn things and add capabilities in small increments, getting feedback at each step along the way.

Dave, AA6YQ
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 06:02:58 AM »

Cool  Wink

Well done on this being your first Python project.  Cool
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 05:58:40 AM »

for a Python project. that is still in Beta - - very Nice
 Grin
it's always nice to know just what band is active,
 & what area's are being heard.
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 11:18:57 AM »

Thanks for the encouragements! I had been stuck to (hobby-)programming in half a dozen versions of BASIC for the last 35+ years. This is a new world opening for me.

The todolist and wishlist get longer and longer  Grin

www.on5mf.be
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 06:26:03 AM »

Small (or big?) change, this software is now running on a Raspberry Pi 3 model B instead of on W7 PC.

www.on5mf.be
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 07:12:12 AM »

Cool.

Does the software use the SNR value?
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 07:25:13 AM »

Cool.

Does the software use the SNR value?

No, the software only counts the number of dx-spots between the different continents. For now only with data from RBN so only digital modes and CW from the skimmers.

Soon I'll also have a link to a 'regular' dxcluster system so then there will also be data for the other 'manual' dxspots like SSB etc.

www.on5mf.be
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 04:51:01 AM »

Very nice! I wonder if it might be useful to see plots over time for any chosen band?

Bret/N4SRN

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
ON5MF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 05:08:28 AM »

Hi Bret, thanks for your comments.

I'm working on a new version that should be launched in a few weeks.

As some people commented, continents are too large to really see enough data. So the next version will be based on CQ-zones (maybe combined with the continents).

I still have some ideas to log the older data also so comparisons can be made.

But I want it all to run on a raspberry Pi so speed will probably be the limiting factor.

An other limiting factor is my programming knowledge but one step at a time I'm improving :-)

www.on5mf.be
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: