The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at DMR  (Read 2371 times)
KG7CSS

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »

I was at Sea-Pac  the ham radio convention  in Oregon and attended some seminars on DMR. I think DMR has a lot of potential and is the right direction for ham radio.  I am ready to give it a try,. The big question is  are cheaper radios as good as more expensive radios. Please no anti Chinese crap, it is my money and I tend to look at  more expensive equals better quality with great  skepticism. I live in the Portland metro area.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »

Cheaper ones have pretty much the same functionality as the expensive ones, but they don't feel near as robust.  The area you're going to run into problems is the interconnecting protocol with IP linking.  The different brands won't interconnect across brands.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »

I Just received this today from some hams who went to seapac, wally world is now selling dmr radios.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TYT-Tytera-MD-380-DMR-Portable-Walkie-Talkie-Digital-Radio-UHF-400-480MHz-with-Colorful-LCD-Display/856233839

K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:15:02 AM »

wally world is now selling dmr radios.

Wally world is turning their website into something like Amazon as a listing service for 3rd party vendors.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:00:38 AM »

The area you're going to run into problems is the interconnecting protocol with IP linking.  The different brands won't interconnect across brands.

Somehow I thought that was just on the repeater end and not on the individual radios themselves. It is correct that Mototrbo repeater system can't link to Hytera, but that doesn't mean a Hytera radio can't connect to a talkgroup on a Mototrbo repeater.
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »

I have been using my DMR handheld more than my HF station lately. I use a CS580 with a SharkRF Openspot. Love it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: