The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio City - The BEST of the Best  (Read 4677 times)
K0LEJ

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2003, 04:33:49 PM »

Hi:

Since getting my license earlier this year I have purchased all of my radios (three as of today) and all of my radio accessories from Radio City in Mounds View (Minneapolis), Minnesota.  Every time I deal with Radio City they have gone out of their way to make sure I'm happy with my purchases.  They take the time to understand what I'm looking for, educate me on the various choices and brands, and most important stand behind the products they sell.

I like to support local businesses with my purchases.  The main reasons I like purchasing from people in the community are that I like having someone to talk to about my purchases, someone who knows and uses the products they sell, and someone to talk to if there is a problem.  Living in Minneapolis I feel very fortunate to have an amateur radio dealer that is close by.  Dan, the owner of Radio city, and his crew do an EXCEPTIONAL job in supporting the amateur radio community!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Radio City to anyone looking for radio equipment (and astronomy equipment).  You won't find a better group of people to work with in the fascinating hobby of amateur radio.

Larry Jenkins
K0LEJ
N0WE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 03:03:01 PM »

I wish I could agree with you. It would be great to have a competitive radio store within 100 miles of where I live. I have found Radio City to be overpriced on most items and they carry very little inventory. The times I have stopped there they were never able to fill more than half of what I needed on very comon items.

They were also the ones that complained to the State of MN that out of state vendors at hamfests were not charging sales tax. The results were that AES and Burgharts attend few if any hamfests here in MN.
KC0KBH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 02:26:14 PM »

Well, I live around St. Cloud MN, and I have never been there, but they are always at the local hamfests.  I did not buy my VX-7R form them, they were kind of expensive.
KC0KBH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 02:26:33 PM »

Well, I live around St. Cloud MN, and I have never been there, but they are always at the local hamfests.  I did not buy my VX-7R from them, they were kind of expensive.
KC0KM_EX_GFISHER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 04:37:19 PM »

I've purchased ham gear from Radio City over the years but their equipment often seems overpriced. I spent $850 on used equipment there in the last three months buying a SM-220 station monitor, PS-52 power supply, Autek computing power/swr meter, dummy load, G5RV antenna, antenna switch, cables, books and more.

Sometimes it is difficult to get questions answered. One of the people working there provides very little information when asked questions and shows little interest in going to look up the answers. Other times I have had good help like the time a young man showed me several HTs and was very helpful in chosing the best one for my needs.

After being off the HF bands for a long time I recently bought an exceptionally mint condition TS-450S/AT from a ham over the internet for $600. The radio looks brand new, had all manuals and paperwork, the accessory package was unopened ... it was a nearly unused 3rd rig for the ham I bought it from, and had been packed in it's box since 1997; it works perfectly. I only got an antenna up two weeks ago so the rig has had very little use since I got it in June.

Last weekend I spotted a used TS-850 at Radio City that looked to be in very nice condition. That's the radio I really wanted, because of its reputation for excellent audio and receiver sensitivity and because I could connect the SM-220 to its IF output.

I asked Dan what he would allow me on the TS-450 as a trade on the TS-850, detailing the mint condition of the transceiver, sending him the previous owner's original internet ad and e-mail about how it was nearly unused, assuring Dan that now that I was back on the HF bands and my car payments were nearly finished I had a long list of ham gear to purchase including a new FT-1000MP Mark V and linear amplifier. Dan offered me $311 for the TS-450, half what I'd just paid for it, and said he thought that was too high because he had 25 pieces of used gear on his shelves.

Now I understand he has to make a profit to stay in business but I can't justify losing $300 on a rig I've had on the air for only two weeks. He would make a profit on the consignment TS-850 I would have bought and he'd make a profit when I traded the TS-850 on the new Mark V and on everything else I bought from Radio City.

Until I bought the TS-450 over the internet I'd always purchased all of my ham gear locally ... a lot of it since first being licensed in 1966. When I got into a rental situation where I could put up an antenna I went to Radio City first and only turned to the internet when I couldn't find a suitable used transceiver at their store.

Radio City just lost my future business. From now on I'll be doing my shopping over the internet wherever I can get the best deal. I'll save over $200 in sales tax by calling Texas Towers, or some other ham radio dealer, instead of driving to Radio City, when I buy that new FT-1000MP Mark V. My loyalty to shopping locally disappeared when there was little effort to keep me as a customer.

W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »

Bit late in responding but I have visted their site a few times, only to find their used equipment listing way old and not updated.  I have emails questions to them, without any response, not once but a few times.  I suppose they do pretty good locally so they don't want my business.  Anyway, since pretty much non responsive, and the fact their on line listing is multiple months old, I won't bother in the future.  (Yes, I can't call from work so that isn't an option but if I don't know what they have (from on line) would not benefit me to call and try and determine what they have).   

GL with all that as they say....
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »

.....a long list of ham gear to purchase including a new FT-1000MP Mark V .......
 .......'when I buy that new FT-1000MP Mark V. My loyalty to shopping locally disappeared when there was little effort to keep me as a customer.

Hi,

I currently have a FT-1000MP Mark V Field, and just last month sold my other  FT-1000MP Mark V (200w), they are both fantastic radios.

However, as the Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V has not been manufactured since about 2005, you may have a problem finding a new one anywhere.  Grin

John
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 09:13:03 AM »

Radio City has a very strange website.  I went there a few days ago and I thought it was a surplus store.  They really need to do something about it because it is not instantly apparent that they even sell ham equipment.
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »

If any of it was truly up to date would be a start....
And to have someone that answers internet communications (i.e. Email)....not all folks want to make long distance calls and some can't while at work..
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 07:57:50 AM »

If any of it was truly up to date would be a start....
And to have someone that answers internet communications (i.e. Email)....not all folks want to make long distance calls and some can't while at work..

I just don't understand why they don't update their website.  They have decent prices on the stuff they have in stock but it's really hard to find compared to most radio dealers sites.
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 12:01:31 PM »

They ought to hire some kid that can at least answer their email traffic....perhaps they only want local sales....dunno...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: