The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TK-862G, programming for ham bands  (Read 5793 times)
KK6RPX

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2017, 03:33:48 PM »

Hi All,

Got hold of a couple of TK-862G's to use in a repeater linking project. I have managed to read them using CHIRP. However, it won't let me program them for the ham band. I have looked in the settings and don't see any way to set the frequency range. I know these can be used for ham purposes, so any ideas how I open them up for the ham band?

Thanks!
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:10:36 AM »

In the past I had to hex edit the .exe file to get Motorolas to program out of band.  For Kenwoods, all I had to do was either turn off frequency checking or select a custom band split.

Have you tried the Kenwood software yet?  The software part # is the KPG-29D.  A quick Google search came up with several choices.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:19:39 AM by K4JJL » Logged
KK6RPX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »

No, I haven't tried the Kenwood software. I'll download and mess with that. Any more specifics about editing the .exe?

I found I had one radio that had been programmed for a ham frequency. I can clone that to another radio but I still can't edit the frequency. There must be some setting somewhere...

Thanks. I'll go try the Kenwood software. Now, will it work with the same dongle that works for CHIRP....?
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »

Any more specifics about editing the .exe?

I had a step-by-step guide on how to edit the Motorola software.  I have a feeling you won't have to with Kenwood.  Just pick the special bandsplit and it'll let you enter just about anything you want.

Now, will it work with the same dongle that works for CHIRP....?

You may have serial port selection issues.  I think it only lets you choose COM1-4.  If your USB interface comes up as COM27, you won't be able to select it.  I think that's fixable in your Windows device manager, though.

However, if you are using a relatively new machine, it may not work on an x64 version of Windows.  You may have to run it inside DosBox (emulated DOS environment).
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »

You say repeater linking so your radios are probably UHF models?

As I remember with Chirp and programming of the tk862g models that you are restricted to only programming the VHF models between 136-162 MHZ.

This restriction may be because a tk862g, UHF model wasn't available when the drivers for Chirp were written.

Perhaps you could loan a tk862g UHF radio to the Chirp developers so they can add the UHF model.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 09:15:05 PM by WB8VLC » Logged
KK6RPX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 09:23:41 AM »

My understanding is that the 862's are all UHF and the 762 is VHF. It can be done as I have one radio that is programmed for the ham band and I can copy that program to another.

I'd be happy to lend the CHIRP folks a radio. I sent an email to the CHIRP list but no answer so far. Any ideas how to contact?

Got an XP laptop and will take a shot at installing DOSBOX and using the original Kenwood software.

Thanks!
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »

Another note about the tk862g with chirp, you can clone an existing UHF codeplug from a master radio to a same model UHF radio but direct programming with any codeplug changes made in Chirp doesn't work.

KK6RPX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »

Another note about the tk862g with chirp, you can clone an existing UHF codeplug from a master radio to a same model UHF radio but direct programming with any codeplug changes made in Chirp doesn't work.

So, if I understand you here, only cloning is possible with CHIRP? I have managed to do that. Not sure what a codeplug is.
KK6RPX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 11:10:13 AM »

Well, I'll be dipped.

Took another try at programming and by golly it worked! The only thing I can think of is I did upgrade to the latest version of CHIRP and only restarted the program and not the computer. I have no idea why that would be but it is the only thing I can think of, as I had quit and restarted CHIRP multiple times after upgrading. Hmm.

Anyway, if it works I'm happy! I'll take being lucky over good any day. I opened them up and located the COR and routed out the wire, so onward and upward from here.

Thanks for the help!
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 08:14:15 AM »

Not sure what a codeplug is.

It's the data written to a chip inside the radio that contains the memory channel info and button-operation mapping.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: