The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Best" Sub $1000 HF Rig, New or Used?  (Read 18908 times)
WD8DKB

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2017, 05:16:20 PM »

May I suggest the ICOM IC-7410 with optional roofing filters as a candidate. It is not the latest technology like the IC-7300 or maybe even the TS-590sg . But it has a great reliability record and performs very well for many ops, including me. It has knobs and switches for 99% of its features and the menu is so easy to master. Receive audio with an external speaker is wonderful to my ears. The screen is not multicolor or touch. Just mono-chrome, but it gives me all the info I'll ever need to operate properly. For under $1000 you have so many nice radios to choose from on the used market. This is just my addition to the list. I own 2 of them and have no desire to try something else. Well--- at least for now.  Grin
  Max   KE8ADH
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2017, 05:59:04 PM »

May I suggest the ICOM IC-7410 with optional roofing filters as a candidate.

I think that a IC-7410 is indeed a very fine rig and somewhat underrated too.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2017, 08:17:21 AM »

Here you go.  best rig under $1000

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/530721
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2017, 10:09:51 AM »

Here you go.  best rig under $1000

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/530721

Looks like it has already sold.   I didn't figure it would last long at that price.
W8KFJ

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2017, 02:30:52 PM »

This has been a discussion of horses - but times have changed!  The "horses" i'm talking about are all those superhet radios.  Today's "automobile" is the Software Defined Radio (SDR).  And the "supercharged" variety is the direct-sampling kind.  It has re-written the price-performance formula!

The previously mentioned IC 7300 is an excellent example.  Its performance puts it at the top of Sherwood's list, while the price puts it near the center.  It's a direct-sampling SDR with traditional appearance and operation.  Most SDRs require a computer, but can offer features way beyond any superhet.  My favorite, the Elad FDM-DUO, offers knobs AND software for EIGHT additional receivers, and features no superhet could offer.  It's $1150, but I saw one at the Cleveland hamfest for $900.  Another option is the Sun SDR2 for $890 - from MSI in the US.  The last two are QRP, but you can add an amp for $300 or so.  I modified my Ameritron ALS600 for full output from my DUO.  No need to buy additional roofing filters or an interface for digital modes - EVER!

SDR prices are dropping, and they are changing the landscape!  Check out my QRZ page for some articles, and some videos on the DUO.  Then do more research.

Dave  W8KFJ
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2017, 05:28:22 AM »

I have seen a few not many IC7300's used sell for just under $1000, if your lucky to snag one used for just under $1K just do it, it is by far one very excellent radio and Icom call's it entry level, lol.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »

Just over $1000 shipped. probably worth it ...

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/530879
KD7YVV

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »

It's just my opinion and that won't get you a ride on the subway, but I have a Kenwood TS-430.
Yes, it's an old radio, but for me, it works. I like the blue flourescent frequency display on it.
Although band conditions have been in the toilet, I tend to do more listening than transmitting.
All I know is, when I transmit and call a station, usually, they can hear me, and if that's the case
then it must also be true that I can hear them. Frankly, I don't need a radio that has all the fancy
menus, tft displays etc. I just need something that works, works well, and is simple to operate.
Why would I want to dive 5 levels down into a sub-menu to change something?
Scotty says, the more they complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.
Yes, there are some hams that have tens of thousands of dollars invested in radios, linear amps
towers, rotators, tuners, etc. and I guess for them, that's what ham radio is.
Having the newest, greatest, current radio etc. Me, I just want to enjoy the hobby and for that,
this little old 430 works fine for me. Just because something's old doesn't mean it isn't good anymore.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »

I don't think there is a best radio out or ever has been.  I see this thread has all kinds of people not being nice, very unfortunate.  I think filters are important.  Any radio will work unless it's broken and you can talk to people on the air and have fun.  Good luck in your search and sorry I wasn't more specific.       
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2017, 02:44:27 AM »

You are right, there is  not a best radio out there because the VAST majority of ham equipment have crap receivers and crap transmitters. While hams continue to glorify this crap equipment nothing much will change. Its amazing that  in the Year 2017 that  you still cant buy a radio  with a  decent receiver whose receiver and transmitter  performance meets modern engineering best practice. While hams continue to believe in folklore, voodoo, urban myths to displace engineering and science nothing much will change. Buying  5000 to 10000 dollar  radios with crap performance is considered to be the intelligent thing to do. In a few weeks we will  see new glorified radio being launched with the same design flaws and lack of specifications that amounts to crap performance. But its the best because its a new ham radio toy.

I don't think there is a best radio out or ever has been.  I see this thread has all kinds of people not being nice, very unfortunate.  I think filters are important.  Any radio will work unless it's broken and you can talk to people on the air and have fun.  Good luck in your search and sorry I wasn't more specific.       
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: