The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable 6M Station for SOTA and Contesting  (Read 786 times)
AB1OC

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2017, 10:31:20 AM »

The Nashua Area Radio Club is doing Summits On The Air (SOTA) activations this year and we put together a 100W portable 6M station for SOTA activations and contesting. We did our first SOTA activation during the June VHF contest this year and had a blast on 6M. You can read about the station that we put together for 6M and the activation here -

https://stationproject.wordpress.com/2017/06/30/portable-6m-station-for-sota-and-contesting/

We used a 3 element, 6M yagi and a guyed push-up mast as our antenna system. The combination of this antenna and an IC-7300 radio running on Solar/Battery power helped us to make over 130 contacts in about 4 hours.

Fred, AB1OC
https://www.n1fd.org/
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »

Fred, nice pictures! Back in the early 70s, I used to operate a lot of 6M (AM) from the Pack. I used a pair of 3 el 6M 'hilltoppers'. Lafayette HA-460, which worked very well. Could get set up in about 10 minutes.
Enough activity back then, to work stations back to back for hours. Typical range for those big 'ole 7 watts was into NJ/PA pretty much all the time.
One time, an Es opening developed and although I could 'hear' fine, no one could hear me.

Beautiful site.
Met the late Wayne Green up there one day.

Memories.......

ron
N4UE
AB1OC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:38:58 PM »

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the comments. It is a very pretty location to operate from for sure. I think our next SOTA activation may be on Mt. Washington here in NH. Will probably bring the 6M setup again and maybe something for HF as well. It great to have enough solar/battery power to run a 100W radio - makes things much more interesting.

Fred, AB1OC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: