The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadband hamnet  (Read 2326 times)
LA9XNA

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2017, 03:29:17 PM »

Hi.
I just got my hands on a Linksys WRT54GL R1.1.
Managed to flash it to Hamnet.
Anybody have a suggestion for usage of the unit.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »

Buy a second one.  Play around with setting up VOIP phones and webcams.  Experiment with IP connections to other PC's or peripherals you have.  Maybe add a wifi gateway using a standard router.  That's about it.  I've got half a dozen of them loaded with BBHN and I use them as a throw-down network at field events a few times a year.  There's not much in a practical sense you'll do with BBHN due to the limited range so it's just what you come up with to link peripherals together in a small area.   On an outside antenna up high with a lot of gain you might get a kilometer out of one so that might be interesting to experiment with if there's another ham in the vicinity of you.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K8KO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:53:39 AM »

You might also want to look into AREDN. 
KA4LFP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »

If you use the Ubiquity gear instead of LinkCrap, you get WAY WAY better performance.

With a pair of  used $75 (each) NanoBridges, running default UBNT code, I have run a 19 mile link line-of-sight link with more than 25MB/s of throughput and multiple Cisco IP phones on each side talking flawlessly with no echo or jitter.
2.4 and 5Ghz can't shoot through very many trees, unless you're at very very short ranges (measured in dozens of yards)

I've got one with Broadband Hamnet on it, but currently lost the pwd ;-(
I imagine it might do about as well to mesh, since the antennas in the UBNT gear are _way way way way_ better than in LinkCrap gear, which is built for indoor in-house use.

If I were building out a system for an event, I'd use the LinkCrap gear for local client side WLAN service, and use UBNT for longer range point-to-point connectivity to get remote operators tied in.

Each remote operator with visibility to a ridge or mountaintop could use a NanoLoco at their operating position, on a tripod aimed appropriately to the mountaintop AP, and then downlink to the command post.

Going to play with this one day --- but my rambling point is go get some used Ubiquity gear.
Some of you will know about that company, but I find that many hams do not know about their gear, hence the offered info...

HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:57:37 AM »

With a pair of  used $75 (each) NanoBridges, running default UBNT code, I have run a 19 mile link line-of-sight link with more than 25MB/s of throughput and multiple Cisco IP phones on each side talking flawlessly with no echo or jitter.

Hi, this sounds very interesting!  Can you please give some more details about your set-up?  Thanks.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 08:09:02 PM »

And since this is point to point and not mesh, I'm not getting why anyone would bother with the AREDN/BBHN loads for this type of connection.  The UBNT platform is stable, tested, maintained and can legally be encryped.  Not so with the amateur mesh nodes.

So I'm with KA4LFP - for a point to point link, buy the off the shelf nodes, point the dishes and off they go.  Save the mesh stuff for doing mesh things.  Not sure what the rules are for this equipment outside the US, so that would be a different discussion.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: