The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ready for my purchase of a HT  (Read 3793 times)
N4RME

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »

My new mobile FT-7900r has been repaired (faulty mic cable) and on it's way home from the factory. Should be here tomorrow. Now I am starting to look for a good HT in dual band as well. My last HT was the ICOM 02-AT and loved the simplicity of it. I would like to keep it as simple as possible and yes I do understand that there is so much more in the new HT's since my old 02-AT. I am looking at two at the moment and both from Yaesu. The FT-60r, and the FT-70DR. I have read what I can on both and leaning more on the FT-60r, but still not 100% as of yet.
The one thing I do want to do is stay with one of the major brands, Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu. I am not familiar with any other brands and I do not want one of the so called throw-aways.
Any guidance or advise would be appreciated here.
KB9ZB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 06:32:53 AM »

I presume you are only interested in FM, otherwise there is another world of digital voice and DV dxing. If your only interested in an FM HT and simple, there not to many choices. Most HT's are programed using a PC for the most part. they can be programed from the front panel, but software these days makes it a snap.
You will find that the "Big Three" are all about the same, it's just a matter of what features you want and what your price point is.
Ron
KB9ZB
K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:14:07 AM »

The one thing I do want to do is stay with one of the major brands, Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu. I am not familiar with any other brands and I do not want one of the so called throw-aways.
Any guidance or advise would be appreciated here.

Your last statements are part of the guidance I would offer. My HTs are Kenwood, Icom, and Motorola.

The next poster mentions some of the digital modes available. Yaesu offers Fusion. From my experience it's late and slow to the game.
Icom and Kenwood offer DSTAR. It was first on the ham scene and has been successful. I enjoy using it.
DMR is growing fast, partially due to the cheap radios flooding the market. I use the word cheap intentionally. There are exceptions, but one should research them carefully, to include speaking to someone who has swept them on quality analyzing equipment. I know of one that met, and exceeded some specs, the Tytera MD-390.

Good ole analog FM will be the common denominator for a long time to come, and all of the digital rigs also do analog.
N4RME

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »

I will use the computer for programming in my frequencies and off sets, and that is as far as I want to go with computers with radios.
I do prefer the old school way. I have no interest in D-Star or other fancy operations. I was very happy with my Icom 02-AT. All I want to do is be able to access the repeaters and other radios without getting deep into the computer end of it. This is why I said in the beginning I was considering the Yaesu FT-60r. To me it is about the simplest radio to operate any more. If there is a better one, please let me know.
My HF rig is a Kenwood TS-590sg which replaced my Kenwood TS-430s. Would rather have had my 430 back, but I cannot trust buying a used one these days. The 590sg will serve my purpose on HF, and the FT-7900r will do what I want and some I don't want in the house and vehicle. All I want to do now is find a simple dual band HT that I can operate without a Phd!
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 01:17:04 PM »

I've owned several Ham Radio HT's (ICOM, Kenwood, Alinco, Yaesu) since 1980,
 and none of them could hold a candle light to the Baofeng UV-5R that I bought in

73, and take care
                    Bob

N4RME

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »

To each his own on the Baofeng radios. I have watched people try to program those things and have nothing but trouble with them and I am talking about people that have owned them for some time and still have problems. I will take the old ICOM 02-AT any day for a single bander. People say they are great because they are cheap enough to buy new if you drop them or break them. I cannot tell you how many times the 02 has slipped off my belt (my fault) and hit the sidewalk and I have never cracked it and they had some heavy batteries on them.
I hear when it comes to Baofeng, you either hate or love them. I personally know nothing about them at all and will not judge. I hope I get a chance to mess with one some day. I had an offer from a guy I never set eyes on and he offered to send me one in the mail to keep for as long as I wanted to play with it but I refused in fear I might break it on him.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 02:08:35 PM »

The FT-60 is a sturdy radio, aluminum chassis/heat sink. I read that it programs  the same as the FT-7900. FT-60 programing is straightforward, I did everything manually from day one. 6 AA alkaline battery tray is a nice accessory/option.

What I don't like about the FT-60.. NiMh battery pack is a joke in 2017. Does not have narrowband receive, you can change transmit deviation, but narrowband transmissions sound muffled and lacking, regardless of volume setting.

The narrowband receive is a moot point if the radio is used mainly for Amateur radio.

I like the ICOM offerings, maybe take a look at them. All the manuals are available online, a little reading offers great insight into a transceivers available functions.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:11:44 PM by SOFAR » Logged
N4RME

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 02:15:04 PM »

I will look at the Icom. Any particular model?
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 02:28:30 PM »

ICOM IC-T70A is a dual band analog HT, also has an available 6 AA alkaline tray. There's also the IC-v80, with a BNC connector, but it's a mono band, 2 meter.

Most of the other Icom HTs get into Dstar, which reflects in the price.
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »

Well sadly NOTHING made today measures up to the  IC-O2AT

But the FT-60 is a good ht by TODAY's standards

I bought the VX-6 years ago and it and the VX-8 are still head and shoulders above the rest today

If not for the lack of pl tones, I would STILL be using ICOM 2AT and 4AT HTs

Their front ends were MUCH better than any HT made today and they were built like tanks

N4RME

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 05:26:55 PM »

That is so true. The 02-AT is a legend to me.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 08:58:25 AM »

If not for the lack of pl tones, I would STILL be using ICOM 2AT and 4AT HTs

They made an option board for tones, but they didn't include a high pass filter.  The received tones would make the radio buzz.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 10:07:10 AM »

To each his own on the Baofeng radios. I have watched people try to program those things and have nothing but trouble with them and I am talking about people that have owned them for some time and still have problems.

I have two and I have had no such problems. It does require a little reading and learning how to program but are very reliable otherwise. Perhaps it was too challenging to read and learn for those have trouble with them.

You can get a couple UV-5R's and extra batteries and have two HT's, two drop in chargers for a about 1/2 the price of one FT-60r
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:12:51 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N4RME

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »

That is a very strong possibility. I myself find my FT-7900r a bit confusing to program so I got the program to do it for me on the computer. So much easier.
I guess at my age, I don't want complicated or confusing any more.
AC8ND

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »

ICOM IC-T70A is a dual band analog HT, also has an available 6 AA alkaline tray. There's also the IC-v80, with a BNC connector, but it's a mono band, 2 meter.

Most of the other Icom HTs get into Dstar, which reflects in the price.

I have the ICOM IC-T70A and it is my most used HT.
Got the "sport model" so only have AA battery case.
Seems to last forever with NIMH rechargeable AA batteries.
Feels very rugged.
Very simple operation and few bells and whistles I never seem to use.

I have not seen a Yaesu FT-60R so I have no comment on that.

Long review comparing to Yaesu FT-60R here:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8850

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: