The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ready for my purchase of a HT  (Read 3040 times)
N4RME

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »

I hate that one has this and the other has that but not this. Picking out a radio is just s bad as wanting Dish Network but only the channels you want to watch without a thousand CD channels that you will never listen to. The good old 02-AT did not have more then you needed or even wanted. Why does it have to be so difficult to find a good all around simple basic model any more?
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »

I have owned close to every HT that has been on the market with the exception of those that do D-Star or APRS.  I haven't owned most of the newer models because they Baofeng HTs are such a great deal, and they are easy enough to program if you read the manual or look on-line for programming instructions.  I'll bet you can find some videos on youtube showing how to program them as well.

The FM broadcast band receive on them is nice also, I can listen to the radio while outside or doing things in the house while waiting for someone to show up on the repeater. 

I don't know what the repeaters are like in your area, but in my area they are slow enough that I really couldn't justify spending 200 dollars or more just to get an HT to operate on them.  Who would have ever thought that we would be able to get a 8 watt dualband HT for less than $40?  These are incredible times we live in, at least for VHF/UHF gear!

Wish the Chinese made HTs that covered 1.2GHZ for less than $50!

73 John AF5CC 
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »

The use of the free CHIRP programming software and the corresponding USB interconnect cable/driver
is almost mandatory if you own any of the Chinese HT's or Chinese mobiles. The following website has
a pointer to the latest (weekly build) CHIRP software, the appropriate USB interconnect cable/driver,
technical Tips, product Announcements, lots of Documentation, etc.

www.miklor.com/

73, and enjoy
                         Bob
KD4UPL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 07:08:37 PM »

The FT-60 is a great radio from what I've heard and seen. Check the reviews here on eham.
What I don't like about most Icom HTs is the buttons don't light up. It would be almost impossible to operate one in the dark.
The FT-70 is new and includes Fusion digital. The new replacement for the FT-60 is the FT-65. It has an upgraded battery pack and several other things but does not include the digital features. It might be worth looking at.
N4RME

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 07:17:09 AM »

Not liking what I read about the FT-65. Too many mixed reviews for me.
Maybe I need to sit tight and wait for another model or two to come out. Might have the features I want and not have what I don't want.
So far I do like the FT-60r. I like the idea of a on/off knob and squelch knob sitting side by side for easy access on top of the radio like the old 02-AT had. I was able to easily turn on or off the radio and control squelch without even looking at the radio and just reach down to my belt area and feel the two protruding knobs.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 08:58:51 AM »

I hate that one has this and the other has that but not this. Picking out a radio is just s bad as wanting Dish Network but only the channels you want to watch without a thousand CD channels that you will never listen to. The good old 02-AT did not have more then you needed or even wanted. Why does it have to be so difficult to find a good all around simple basic model any more?

The sheeples wouldn't buy them.........they want a zillion features they need or must have,  but they'll mostly never use or know how to use them.  Roll Eyes
Same types that are quite possibly a derivation of the breed of commoners you see every day with head continually bent forward buried in an IPad/IPhone.

You will also see this issue with latter day HF rigs.  Sad
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:19:37 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 06:51:28 PM »

I hear when it comes to Baofeng, you either hate or love them. I personally know nothing about them at all and will not judge. I hope I get a chance to mess with one some day. I had an offer from a guy I never set eyes on and he offered to send me one in the mail to keep for as long as I wanted to play with it but I refused in fear I might break it on him.

Had a UV-5R for 2 yrs now, total cost $27.  When it needs programming I use CHIRP.  Yes there is a learning curve, did you know how to program your 02-AT right away?
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: