donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6M WAS  (Read 4309 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 06:33:46 AM »

If you make a contact and put it in mixed, what is the difference? I thought mixed was for using any mode? Are SSB and CW endorsements just that...SSB and CW? Now putting other types of contacts in those, I can see a problem. But not in mixed? If mixed can't be used for digital, then contacts by other means like AM, FM, ATV...etc.; should not count there either in mixed. Get an endorsement category of you can't count it. Can't see any logic to it.

When these merit badges were established there was no automated computer controlled contacts. There was always a person involved. JT65 and FT8 Digital is not one of those modes and is really kinda a cheat of sorts.

Now I could see a digital endorsement for strictly digital contacts. But to ban them from mixed...dumb. Or ban anything other than SSB and CW in mixed...also dumb.

No dumb at all. Automated digital modes are not same as AM/FM/SSB or CW and as said before digital was not a mode when mixed mode merit badge was created.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 09:04:43 AM »

Getting more judgmental as we age? The list of things that does not get JX's approval is growing. We've got Dayton, radials, certain amplifiers, the FT-450, certain grades of coax, many things I've forgotten, and now WAS with digital modes.

Some would say using an amplifier for WAS is cutting corners too. Are you sure your WAS is up to snuff?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 10:30:43 AM »

Getting more judgmental as we age?

Not at all. Just trying to slow the death spiral ham radio is in as it turns into something it was never intended to be with relaxing of rules covering it and near mail order CB extra class tickets. A modern day CB. To suggest that someone who cheats system to get a WAS using automated signaling is the equal of someone that did it the hard way is just  as deserving the merit badge is bizarre and is not what its intent was when merit badge was created long ago.

I am not surprised you think its fine because you think a "world class" event held in a barn yard setting with muddy fields and converted cattle barns is a proper venue too. You know they held a real world class event here last month, Dayton Air Show, and unlike cattlefest 2017 in Xenia, when it rained heavily before show and turned planned fields to be used into potential mud pits, they unlike DARA, had a plan "B" to keep everyone out of mud and prevent stuck cars too. They did not use converted cattle barns either.

I guess you just have much lower standards than me and attack me because I will not come down to your sub basement standards for ham radio ticket and awards and hamfests.

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »

I do believe you could have gotten almost all of them today on FT8.  I saw about all states but Alaska, Hawaii, and Nebraska.   FT8 is crazy busy nearly every day on 6,  50.313 USB data mode, and have at it.

I only need Alaska for WAS on 6 meters & if it takes doing it on any digital mode then it will never happen.I want to work them NOT my computer.Doing it by digital modes is nothing worthy of bragging about on any band.  Roll Eyes

Clayton
W4KVW
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 08:16:58 AM »

If you make a contact and put it in mixed, what is the difference? I thought mixed was for using any mode? Are SSB and CW endorsements just that...SSB and CW? Now putting other types of contacts in those, I can see a problem. But not in mixed? If mixed can't be used for digital, then contacts by other means like AM, FM, ATV...etc.; should not count there either in mixed. Get an endorsement category of you can't count it. Can't see any logic to it.

When these merit badges were established there was no automated computer controlled contacts. There was always a person involved. JT65 and FT8 Digital is not one of those modes and is really kinda a cheat of sorts.

Now I could see a digital endorsement for strictly digital contacts. But to ban them from mixed...dumb. Or ban anything other than SSB and CW in mixed...also dumb.

No dumb at all. Automated digital modes are not same as AM/FM/SSB or CW and as said before digital was not a mode when mixed mode merit badge was created.

OK then. No contact other then SSB and CW allowed. The merit badges can only contain SSB and CW because they can not be changed at any time by anybody or the sponsoring entity. Digital is not allowed. And since other modes are not listed, they are not allowed either. Mixed is CW and SSB only. All other mode operators drop dead!

Show me the rule that states that. Otherwise it is a minority opinion based on the number of operators using multiple other modes.

Yep, that's what I thought...no such rule on mixed. Too funny John!

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 09:10:44 PM »

.... There was always a person involved. JT65 and FT8 Digital is not one of those modes ...

Please tell me more about these AUTOMATIC JT65 computer controlled contact that require NO live operator actions.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »

.... There was always a person involved. JT65 and FT8 Digital is not one of those modes ...

Please tell me more about these AUTOMATIC JT65 computer controlled contact that require NO live operator actions.

Yeah, me too. I am amazed by the "old farts" that seem to think they know "what the original intent" was. And it is so darn ironic that they post with a freaking computer.  Why in "Heck" don't you post on SSB or CW, why are you posting using a "digital mode"?

If you can't "read between the lines"  it is why don't you do your griping on SSB or CW instead of griping over here on a "digital mode"?  so throw your computers in the trash and get on SSB and bitch.   

WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »

I operate all digital modes and I am always present at the rig/computer, etc, so how are my QSO's automated?  You must have us confused with Pactor robots.   Whats the difference in a RTTY QSO and a SSB or CW QSO?   Or is there a problem with the JT modes that some don't like?  With rapidly changing conditions on 6 meters, I think FT-8 is a great mode for a quick exchange before the band changes.  I am still at the rig, tuning for signals, etc... I need the computer because I cannot copy FT-8 or other digital modes in my head.  Digital modes are not taking us back to CB, I offer digital is the cutting edge of ham radio and taking us forward, not backwards.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 10:47:53 AM »

Getting more judgmental as we age? The list of things that does not get JX's approval is growing. We've got Dayton, radials, certain amplifiers, the FT-450, certain grades of coax, many things I've forgotten, and now WAS with digital modes.

You forgot Honda generators, lmao.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »

I operate all digital modes and I am always present at the rig/computer, etc, so how are my QSO's automated?  You must have us confused with Pactor robots.   Whats the difference in a RTTY QSO and a SSB or CW QSO?   Or is there a problem with the JT modes that some don't like?  With rapidly changing conditions on 6 meters, I think FT-8 is a great mode for a quick exchange before the band changes.  I am still at the rig, tuning for signals, etc... I need the computer because I cannot copy FT-8 or other digital modes in my head.  Digital modes are not taking us back to CB, I offer digital is the cutting edge of ham radio and taking us forward, not backwards.

And some of these guys don't want to go forward, they want to live in the past, and yapp about how "I got mine on AM and CW,". 

Cmon' guys, digital modes are the future or at least a part of our future.  I am 63, and trying to learn new things every day.  I guess I have "low standards".   Jump in, learn something new and get with the program.  If you don't know how, or don't understand how to get started, I will help you.  Up to and including calling you on the phone and talking you into how to interface the rig and how to operate.  Teamviewer 12 works very well for helping you with your pc, and I stand ready to assist.   What say you?
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »

Cmon' guys, digital modes are the future or at least a part of our future.  I am 63, and trying to learn new things every day. 

Jump in, learn something new and get with the program. 

Well said, I could not agree more.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »

Cmon' guys, digital modes are the future or at least a part of our future.  I am 63, and trying to learn new things every day. 

Jump in, learn something new and get with the program. 

Well said, I could not agree more.

No program to get with. Those merit badges were created before there was no digital automated cheats and as such if you use those modes they should not apply toward the original award. They need to create a digital mode WAS because automated contacts is just not the same thing as award was intended for.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »

No program to get with. Those merit badges were created before there was no digital automated cheats and as such if you use those modes they should not apply toward the original award. They need to create a digital mode WAS because automated contacts is just not the same thing as award was intended for.

LOL Fumes runnin heavy again, eh John? LOL

Oh they need to create something...because John doesn't like other modes to be counted in Mixed! The world according to John! LOL

The current intent is what ever the sponsor says is its current intent. Or should we all move back to spark gap transmitters? Since spark gap was the original mode just like your idea that the merit badges shouldn't change and adapt with time and technology. Show me otherwise or your just plain wrong. Which is a common occurrence. LOL

Just like all digital contacts are automatic contacts that require no human interface...LOL Dumb! LOL

Only John can make this stuff up and smile while he spreads his version of manure. Like the magic invisible manure at Xenia! LOL

Next up the JX shuffle! That way he can throw out a bunch of verbal vomit, mostly not on topic, to try to get you to forget how wrong he is!      Hit it John!!!

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »

"No program to get with. Those merit badges were created before there was no digital automated cheats and as such if you use those modes they should not apply toward the original award. They need to create a digital mode WAS because automated contacts is just not the same thing as award was intended for.
"

There ARE digital WAS awards!  I have WAS on JT65, JT9, and RTTY.    I'll probably try for WAS on FT8.   What is the "original award", and what was it's intention?  Nobody is trying to apply digital contacts to a CW or phone award.  How do you even attempt that?   Even your strawman is confused.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: