The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baofeng UV-5RH 5W Dual Band - now 8W  (Read 2256 times)
N1KTJ

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2017, 07:18:40 AM »

Has anyone tried out the new $40 radio Baofeng UV-5RH 5W Dual Band which is now 8W?    Can buy a cheap three or four year warranty on it at the time of amazon purchase, and get my money back after a year, if its drops the power output down at any time. Suppose the best thing to do is get a better antenna on it first, instead of the given ruby duck. (which antenna is suggested?)

Yes have read all the horror stories about out of band spurious, and not meeting FCC requirements.  Really only would use this for urgent issues, or during support of local community racing (running, bicycle, etc.) events.  Just cant argue with the stupid low price, and if anything is wrong at all Amazon does a return of exchange, no questions.

KA9UCN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »

While I do like my $25 UV5 Baofemg listed 5 watt radio. On an honest watt meter. It only puts out 2.5 watt. An advertised Baofeng 8 watt is probably not going to do 8 watt but for $40. If it puts out an honest 4 watt. It is a bargain.
Joe KA9UCN
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 04:33:19 AM »

I've seen a lot of handhelds have some fine printed the effect that the advertised power is obtained only when powered by a 13.6v source. On a 7.2v battery, the max power is reduced.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 05:21:41 AM »

Has anyone tried out the new $40 radio Baofeng UV-5RH 5W Dual Band which is now 8W? 

I wonder if they aren't playing a bit of specmanship by possibly citing DC input power.    At best the PA would be 50% efficient, so to survive putting out an "honest" 8W for more than a few seconds it had better come with a big heatsink and a giant battery.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

K5BBC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:46:37 AM »

Marketing BS that the untrained will swallow and spend on.

Even if it could deliver 8W to the antenna, how much RF are you willing to put in front of your eyes?
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »

Testing the power output of a VHF/UHF transmitter is complex. It requires a zero loss connection, the closest being a type "N" barrel connector going directly to a highly calibrated RF watt meter, with precision dummy load connected directly to the watt meter output. Any coax connection, out of tolerance dummy load, or a non calibrated precision watt meter will give a false power reading. When I tested cell phone amplifiers rated at 50 watts out. We used a very high quality Type "N" barrel connector, going to a highly calibrated HP watt meter, terminated into a Narda Microwave 50 ohm dummy load. This set up (very expensive) gave the true output of the amplifier.

Last thing. The difference between a 5 watt transmitter and an 8 watt transmitter is less then 3 db. I doubt if you would see any difference at the receiver end especially on FM. The S meter would show very little difference in signal strength.

73s

K2OWK   
KD2AKG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »

For what its worth, I bought a TYT 8 watt Tri Bander. I purchased it mainly for 220mhz. I have no idea what the wattage it is actually putting out, but I had to run it on reduced power because of RF feed back and a squeal on TX.
DU7DVE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 02:58:39 AM »

I've seen a lot of handhelds have some fine printed the effect that the advertised power is obtained only when powered by a 13.6v source. On a 7.2v battery, the max power is reduced.

A baofeng let's out the smoke at 12volts dc. Don't ask me how I know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: