The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why not an FT-891 for portable QRP??  (Read 25440 times)
KD8ZM

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »

KD8ZM,
Isn't that 05-04--beep level?
Art

No, the beep level is the beep that occurs at band edges, etc. Tried that.
KD8ZM

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »

It's on page 43 of the manual. I just downloaded the manual from the Yaesu web page. I hit control F, typed in, "Sidetone" and it took me to page 43 where it shows
how to do it.
RTFM !

Barry

I see now that it is buried in the MON menu. As if anyone would know what MON is, intuitively. Anyway my point is made, if you ever have to depend on this thing and don't have the manual and a way to search it easily, you are going to be in trouble.
Thanks for the answer.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »

Guys,  that function is also on page 10 in the Nifty Micro-Manual for the 891.  For an inexpensive well put together field manual it does a good job.  Don't leave home without it.
Art
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2017, 02:23:25 PM »

Well, I am a day late to this party..  The thing to do is to burn the paper manual and download the manual into your phone as a PDF, and you will always have it with you and it is searchable. That is where my manuals go, into the ole Android.   I have had to dig it out of my pocket more than once to operate my old FT90 in my truck.  I don't use it often enough to remember some of the "high points".  73 James
KF5KCA

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2017, 03:32:40 PM »

Also hate to state the obvious here, but with small rigs and hundreds of features (that everyone expects) you are gonna run out of buttons at some point. And, small form factor rigs are also not great candidates for touch screens, which I would like to rely on even less in portable environments. So-- buried in menus it is.

Oliver

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2017, 07:22:06 PM »

I got my little cute portable key today.  Worked one station so far with it.  I believe it is going to be a keeper.  It is light and small, but it stayed on the table fine with its little rubber feet.  It feels pretty good, and has some bearings in it up front.  Nice adjustable weight and contact spacing.  Not bad for a piece of plastic made on a 3d printer.

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2017, 07:24:07 PM »

side view.  You have to supply the cable  any length you want, but it has a nice 1/8 (3.5mm) jack
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2017, 09:54:43 PM »

It's on page 43 of the manual. I just downloaded the manual from the Yaesu web page. I hit control F, typed in, "Sidetone" and it took me to page 43 where it shows
how to do it.
RTFM !

Barry

I see now that it is buried in the MON menu. As if anyone would know what MON is, intuitively. Anyway my point is made, if you ever have to depend on this thing and don't have the manual and a way to search it easily, you are going to be in trouble.
Thanks for the answer.

MON is pretty std in Ham Radio. The 891 is easy to figure out
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2017, 04:51:30 AM »

Well, I am a day late to this party..  The thing to do is to burn the paper manual and download the manual into your phone as a PDF, and you will always have it with you and it is searchable. That is where my manuals go, into the ole Android.   I have had to dig it out of my pocket more than once to operate my old FT90 in my truck.  I don't use it often enough to remember some of the "high points".  73 James

The maunals for every radio I own are on my computers ( yes, every computer), my tablet and my cell. Before I even purchase a radio or even consider purchasing a radio, I ALWAYS download the manual and RTFM before I make my decission. Then when I finally make the move I have a good idea how to use the radio long before
I receive it.
I understand that some of the text in the menus can get confusioning depending on how much they shorten the words or commands, but some people are just too lazy to RTFM.
Barry
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2017, 05:03:06 AM »

The maunals for every radio I own are on my computers ( yes, every computer), my tablet and my cell. Before I even purchase a radio or even consider purchasing a radio, I ALWAYS download the manual and RTFM before I make my decission. Then when I finally make the move I have a good idea how to use the radio long before
I receive it.
I understand that some of the text in the menus can get confusioning depending on how much they shorten the words or commands, but some people are just too lazy to RTFM.
Barry

And for the few that don't know RTFM means "Read The Fine Manual".    Grin
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2017, 06:37:38 PM »

edit...

MON is pretty std in Ham Radio. The 891 is easy to figure out

Yes, it is.

almost all modern rigs have a "mon" , "moni" , "mon(itor)' ect. button/icon.

Most of the so called "problems" with this radio are explained in the user manual and/or the advanced user manual.

KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2017, 07:53:32 AM »

[/quote]

Thanks for the answer.
[/quote]

I have been a very active ham for over 42 years and can usually figure out most radios enough to put them on line without the manual.
What I mean by that is, "someone shows me their new radio and I did not have a chance to RTFM." But with today's modern radios that are small, like your's, it's hard to get away without reading the manual. An FT 991 (non A version) was donated to our club. I figured I better learn my way around this radio so I can teach other's. OMG ! Talk about user issues without a manual. There are so many features on this radio that you may want to use and you WILL NOT get by without reading the manual. There are about 10 screens of functions to go through for daily use. Next you go into the setup menus. I think there are about 150 of them. Don't even ask me how to set up the memory channels. This has to be the most user unfriendly radio I have even used. Go to a ham radio store and sit next to one and you will understand.
It has taken me numerous days to set this radio up so it's ready to be put on line.

Barry
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »

I have been using the 891 on CW, and still liking it.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2017, 09:54:57 AM »

Hey K0UA,

You have enough wire to run it into your shack right. You ain't gonna have to do a Mr. Douglas
and climb a pole to make a contact?

Someone said use all the wire you want and that reminded me of Green Acres.

Kraus
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2017, 06:53:38 PM »

I got my little cute portable key today.  Worked one station so far with it.  I believe it is going to be a keeper.  It is light and small, but it stayed on the table fine with its little rubber feet.  It feels pretty good, and has some bearings in it up front.  Nice adjustable weight and contact spacing.  Not bad for a piece of plastic made on a 3d printer.

That sir, is freaking awesome!!!!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: