The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Icom 7610 in trouble?  (Read 33976 times)
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2017, 02:51:14 PM »

Jarrad, thank you for the awesome YouTube videos of the 7610.
Since I'm an old codger, I'll probably never use all the feature/functions of my 7610, but I eagerly await mine.
I have a bunch of (older) Icoms at my main operating position. 7300, 761, 756PRO, 745, 271A, 471A.....
You have a nice, neat shack!!!

BTW, if you were to compare the 7610, 7300, and the 7100 on 6 Meter weak signal SSB, how would they compare?
Thanks!

ron
N4UE
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2017, 01:21:51 AM »

Jarrad, thank you for the awesome YouTube videos of the 7610.
Since I'm an old codger, I'll probably never use all the feature/functions of my 7610, but I eagerly await mine.
I have a bunch of (older) Icoms at my main operating position. 7300, 761, 756PRO, 745, 271A, 471A.....
You have a nice, neat shack!!!

BTW, if you were to compare the 7610, 7300, and the 7100 on 6 Meter weak signal SSB, how would they compare?
Thanks!

ron
N4UE

Dear Ron,

My thoughts are that the IC-7300 is more than good enough for 6M weak signal work, where you're more likely to use beam antennas, so the 80-94dB of 2kHz RMDR figure provides plenty of headroom, and the scope quickly alerts you as you swing the beam around.

The IC-7100 lacks the scope, so you're going to have to rely more on your ears (which you should) unless using digital modes.

The IC-7610 of course will best both of them, but mostly because its just nice to have two receivers.

Jarrad

J.D. Mitchell - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2017, 01:35:46 AM »

Also, be sure to subscribe to the eham review thread:
https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13598

N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »

Please test the low frequency response on AM mode.
The 7300 cuts it off at 200 Hz which ruins it for a good swl/broadcast receiver.
You really notice it when comparing receivers...
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2017, 11:41:33 AM »

I've only followed this thread sparingly, but VK3BL's review of the IC-7610 included the street price in Australia.  I also checked an Australian dealer's website, and both Jarrad's and the dealer's agree.  In Australia, the IC-7610 is selling for $5,249 AUD.  At the current exchange rate at this very date and hour, that's $4,024.21 here in the USA.  See the link below:

http://www.strictlyham.com.au/icom-ic-7610-hf-50mhz-transceiver

It remains to be seen what price ICOM America, and their dealer network, will set for the new IC-7610.  But, as an example, if the street price is $3,995, it's certainly possible that some hams may decide not to go ahead with their purchase.  On the other hand, it's somewhat typical that street prices elsewhere in the world are higher than here in the USA.

It remains to be seen what the MSRP, and the street price will be.  Should be interesting, and I'm sure that Flex's announced price points on their new transceivers may possibly have an effect.

Don W9CW
VK1AZ

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »

Hi Don

AU pricing has 10% GST built in whereas it seems common that US pricing is listed before state taxes
5249 drops to 4771 before doing conversions, that also has dealer margins in it which will be higher here due to volume of sales.
4771 @75c in the dollar comes in around 3578 US I'll bet 3400 to 3500 street price, or even cheaper considering the NZ pricing at $5175 is cheaper still with exchange rates than AU

Cheers
Phil
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »

VK3BL, hi again.
I have been on 50 MHz for over 50 years. Currently I live is a quiet area with a slight elevation 'bump'. I'm only 50+ Meters ASL, but this IS Florida, no mountains here.
Currently I have several radios on 6 M.
756PRO
Drake TR-6

I can run 1500 Watts and the antenna is a long 7 el Yagi at 33 Meters up.
I use large hardline on all antennas 50 MHz and up.

I only operate SSB/CW weak signal and have NO interest in digital operation at this time.

ron
N4UE
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2017, 12:35:26 PM »

VK3BL, forgot to mention that your "4" review of the radio is going to give it an uphill climb. ha ha

That's OK, it is, what it is.
When the Icom haters / Flex fan boys start posting false reviews, we will just see where it goes.
If you were to decide it really is a "5", the "4" will still be there forever. That's why I find the Reviews interesting, but I've learned to read betwixt the lines.

regards
ron
N4UE
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »

Well said YFM.

............. Grin
  They're clapping for Roman Polanski.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2017, 06:02:36 PM »

VK3BL, forgot to mention that your "4" review of the radio is going to give it an uphill climb. ha ha

When the Icom haters / Flex fan boys start posting false reviews, we will just see where it goes.
If you were to decide it really is a "5", the "4" will still be there forever. That's why I find the Reviews interesting, but I've learned to read betwixt the lines.

regards
ron
N4UE

You have to put down what you believe in, basically.  At least I do, anyway; haters gonna hate, fan boys going to fan, but I'm neither and I'll tell you now, drop $3500 USD on the radio and see if you give it a 5 in the first few days...

Easily done with a IC-7300 at its much lower price, but higher end stuff has to be held to a higher standard.

K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2017, 06:10:48 AM »

regards
ron
N4UE

You have to put down what you believe in, basically.  At least I do, anyway; haters gonna hate, fan boys going to fan, but I'm neither and I'll tell you now, drop $3500 USD on the radio and see if you give it a 5 in the first few days...

Easily done with a IC-7300 at its much lower price, but higher end stuff has to be held to a higher standard.

I just noticed that your 4/5 review is gone. How did it get deleted?
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »

me think Icom got a hold on E ham to delete the reveiw or the original review was taken off cause the VK ham may have asked them. I don't know but something smells fishy around here and I have a feeling there is way to much hype on these new sdr offerings.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »

me think Icom got a hold on E ham to delete the reveiw or the original review was taken off cause the VK ham may have asked them. I don't know but something smells fishy around here and I have a feeling there is way to much hype on these new sdr offerings.

First of all I don't believe that Icom had anything to do with the review being redacted, I think the guy who posted the review removed it.  As far as hype is concerned, I don't think there is enough hype of this new direction in amateur radio.  Icom completely changed the way amateur radios are built with the introduction of the IC-7300.  It resulted in a radio that is easy and fun to operate, not to mention that it offers amazingly good performance at a very affordable price.  I see the IC-7610 as the next step in the evolution of amateur radio, ten years from now this will be the standard.

I applaud Icom for changing the face of amateur radio and bringing the all in one desk top transceiver back to the forefront of technology.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:40 AM »

Icom paid him off!
He put up a good review here, and we know the 7610 is in trouble, there is a tread about it here.
No, wait a minute.......
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »

Ha, well the VK3 fellow may have retracted his review maybe cause he posted way too early but who knows but there is another VH4 fellow who has posted a very nice review. Many have said this radio is two 7300's in one box and there may be some truth but and I mean a huge but is that the core two sdr radio sections very well may be close to the single core sdr on the 7300 but here we go again there are tons of extras plus the band pass filters, pre amp stages, the DSP that follows the sdr section has been up graded far above the basic 7300 plus the extras like the digi select tracking pre selector and much larger display. If you are the type of op who needs these features it will be worth it to you but if not the more basic 7300 is a very good value. The one review thst id now on e ham states the ability to remove noise from an urban environment which is the 1st thing that grabbed me in the 7300 NB and NR and that has nothing to do with the sdr part but its more in the dsp end of the radio in which Icom  has always been ahead of the cure ball.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: