The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the 7610 have the SWR graphing feature like the 7300?  (Read 5389 times)
W1BG

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2017, 09:27:53 AM »

I've asked this question in the Yahoo groups forum and the one person whom I thought most likely to know, didn't.  There are many-many example screens posted, yet none showing the nifty-keen SWR graphing feature that the 7300 has. Hard to believe ICOM would leave this out, but no one seems to have the answer.

Will the 7610 have the SWR graphing feature or not?

73 - Bill
 W1BG

The Pay-TV Industry may not hold the patent on poor customer service, but Comcast in particular has made an art form of it.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:30:24 AM »

I've asked this question in the Yahoo groups forum and the one person whom I thought most likely to know, didn't.  There are many-many example screens posted, yet none showing the nifty-keen SWR graphing feature that the 7300 has. Hard to believe ICOM would leave this out, but no one seems to have the answer.

Will the 7610 have the SWR graphing feature or not?

73 - Bill
 W1BG

If Adam doesn't know, then I guess we'll just have to wait until the official advertising brochure or the radio is released. My "unofficial" guess is that it will be included. Why not? Wink
W1BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »

If Adam doesn't know, then I guess we'll just have to wait until the official advertising brochure or the radio is released. My "unofficial" guess is that it will be included. Why not? Wink

Adam didn't know.  Seems like a no-brainer for it to be included since it's there in the 7300, but then again 4-meters is in the 7300 too but is not listed for the 7610. So the only answer is that we don't know. 

The Pay-TV Industry may not hold the patent on poor customer service, but Comcast in particular has made an art form of it.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 11:30:04 AM »

Interesting how different people like different features.  On my 7300 I have never used the "nifty" SWR graphing feature.  I considered it useless.  I could be very wrong. But I just don't see any value in it. I sure see a lot of value in the rest of the features. But that is one I have never used.  I looked at it in the manual, I have seen youtube demo's of it, yet I have never used it. Not even once.  And I generally consider myself pretty open minded about new tech.  I know what the SWR curves look like of all of my antennas by just taking a few readings myself at various frequencies.  That chart is now in my brain... Smiley Smiley   But it would be a poor old world if everyone liked the same things.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 12:55:40 PM »

Absolute certainty, plus many many more graphing features such as..........

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:58:36 PM by GM1FLQ » Logged
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »

I have used it.
I built a 160 to 6 meter fan dipole and used it to check all the swr points on all the bands.
You can also just tune the radio while transmitting a signal and look at the meter display, but that creates qrm.

I can't say its a great thing, but I suppose it cost them nothing to add it.
It might be handy in a car on 10 meters and other bands if you manually adjust the antenna.
W1BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 10:33:14 AM »

I have used it.
I built a 160 to 6 meter fan dipole and used it to check all the swr points on all the bands.
You can also just tune the radio while transmitting a signal and look at the meter display, but that creates qrm.

I can't say its a great thing, but I suppose it cost them nothing to add it.
It might be handy in a car on 10 meters and other bands if you manually adjust the antenna.

Exactly my point. It's (almost) like having an antenna analyzer without having to go out and buy one. It can't tell you all the esoteric impedance numbers, but it will let you know where your antenna is resonant (and where it isn't).  I don't use the feature all that much, but it's still handy to go back and periodically recheck.  My LP-100A tells me pretty much what I need to know, so I doubt I'd be jumping up and down but I still hope they keep it.  26 days and counting to the Tokyo Ham Fair.

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:05:28 AM »

If GM1FLQ makes fun of the feature, then I guess I had better check a little closer.  After all it doesn't cost me a dime to check it out, and who knows I might make use of it.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 01:21:10 PM »

Be aware you can adjust the number of samples it takes and the span between them.
If you do the mars mod, it will check a very wide range of frequencies to see where the swr dip is.
It transmits VERY fast and at low power so there is no qrm I suppose.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »

If GM1FLQ makes fun of the feature, then I guess I had better check a little closer.  After all it doesn't cost me a dime to check it out, and who knows I might make use of it.

You'll love it.......made for you..........
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »

... but it will let you know where your antenna is resonant

Just to clean up the terminology, it is generally showing you where the SWR dip is. It is not capable of showing you with certainty if your antenna is resonant.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
W1BG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »

Be aware you can adjust the number of samples it takes and the span between them.
If you do the mars mod, it will check a very wide range of frequencies to see where the swr dip is.
It transmits VERY fast and at low power so there is no qrm I suppose.

You have to key the mic multiple times, but the freq offset jumps each time by the preselected amount.

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »

I like Icom radios but the SWR graphing feature is a gimmick.  That is something that any ham can easily do themselves.  In fact, every ham should know how to build an accurate SWR meter.
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 10:01:24 AM »

I like Icom radios but the SWR graphing feature is a gimmick.  That is something that any ham can easily do themselves.  In fact, every ham should know how to build an accurate SWR meter.

You know how to build one that graphs? Instructions please.

Zack N8FNR
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 09:22:07 PM »

You know how to build one that graphs? Instructions please.

Zack N8FNR

Sure, it's called a pencil and paper.  Once you know the two to one SWR bandwidth of your antenna do you really need a graph to remind you?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: