The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone run hollow state QRP?  (Read 8314 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »

If you ever get bored with your ham experience, I suggest you go back to yesteryear the way Carl has done. 

I can honestly say I had more fun with the primitive station than I do with what I am presently using. 

DTS:  As an avid homebrewer for the past 60+ years, permit me to say "you do beautiful work!" 

It's my opinion that there is nothing more heartwarming or self-satisfying in this hobby than to obtain parts, plan the layout, assemble a piece of gear and bring it to life!   
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 05:58:57 AM »

Built the Ameco AC-1 a month or so bk.
Hardest part of the project was scraping the paint for chassis ground points.
Next time I use a Dremel or a drill and stone tip.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »

I forgot to ask my first  question. What is hollow-state QRP?

Kraus
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 02:30:37 PM »

Kraus
Tubes.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 05:23:56 PM »

OK...hollow...tube...OK.

No I never have ran tube QRP or QRO. I've always been a solid state kind-of-guy.

My only tube rigs are my Hammarlunds.

Kraus
AH7I

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 11:48:05 PM »

Kraus
Tubes.

Vacuum sealed for freshness!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 07:54:08 AM »

I have an 80m single tube transmitter I built as well as an 80m regen I built. The transmitter puts out maybe 2 or 3 watts with a #45 tube I think. I also have an 80m hartley I built out of a 1929 arrl handbook (complete with glass towel rod holders that hold the coils) that runs a #210 tube.

I haven't used them in a while as I need to find / build a good power supply to use. The last time I used one of the transmitters & the regen I was running all battery! I used it to make some contacts during field day.. a year we were running an all battery operation.. so I had to stay within the rules.

One of these days I'll pull them off the shelf and put them on the air again. They are a blast to operate.
K5DH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »

Long-time QRP buff here (over 40 years).  I've built many tube-type low-power transmitters (commonly referred to as "glowbugs").  There are countless designs in old ARRL Handbooks and similar radio project books, on internet web sites, and in magazine articles.  Many can be built using only parts from the junkbox. 

Some of mine are shown on my web site:  http://www.qsl.net/k5dh

73/72,
Dean K5DH
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 03:10:09 PM »

Vacuum sealed for freshness!

And you need the TX filament (in a cabinet or with a front panel is for wimps) and RX dial lamp glow to be able to read your CW copy....until you can do it in your head.

And also to be log all the contacts in a Genuine ARRL or Hallicrafters log book. I still have all mine back to 1955.

The FB-XA has a prehistoric crystal filter but is better than nothing. It also had the benefit of a WW2 BC-453 to take the 500 kc IF signal down its 85 kc IF with the IF transformer plungers pushed down for maximum selectivity, it wont even pass AM/SSB intelligibility.  A slightly modified Heathkit QF-1 is also used.

Carl
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 07:45:39 PM »

Having lots of fun recently running QRP with tubes es xtals.
  Been repairing and using a Meissner EX I got in August. A learning experience to get it going well. Late '40's era.
  Today a real nice es working Halli HT17 came in the mailbox, no drifting or chirping either!
  Don't pass up on old ugly tube TX or exciters, they are pretty simple to repair and fun to use.
  Even an ugly transmitter can make great music!
  They deserve to be used more, shelved less!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 08:07:31 PM »

I remember when some hams were running converted CB tube gear on 10 meters.  5 watts, QRP!   Roll Eyes
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 07:10:52 AM »

Have an old Johnson Messenger "White Face" a fellow was telling me how to convert it for 10.
  I've never had one bit of interest in working 10m so I didn't pay much attention, hi.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: