The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Consider it SOLD" (famous last words, and other useless phrases)  (Read 5807 times)
W9BB

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:54:52 PM »

I have been left holding the proverbial empty sack a number of times due to some characters on the swap boards that contact you and then inform you "CONSIDER IT SOLD".  I could post some calls in here, but why bother.   Well, I don't know about you, but to me, that means, you just bought it and the funds will be forth coming.

I know I stand behind my word and reputation.  I have even bought stuff when I found another item nicer or cheaper than the one I told the seller I wanted, and went ahead with the transaction.  I may end up keeping that item or selling it later.  Sometimes a person responds to something for sale without fully considering it, knowing what they are buying, etc.  We all make mistakes or act too quickly.   

But for me, if you tell me "CONSIDER IT SOLD" as it does in the email I have, I kinda take that to mean, turn away any upcoming potential buyers (which I did) because someone "committed to it". 

I had this happen a couple of months ago to me, and there was no loss of funds, I am not hard up for money, there was no asset loss, but just a bunch of crap dealing with these types of individuals way too frequently.  Why do you waste peoples time?  If you want to flip equipment, get it off Ebay.  Most folks on swap boards just want to move a piece of gear out of the shack without all the drama.

What does an adult do when they purchase something for $100 or $1000 from another op and something unknown pops up?  You contact the Seller and as adults, you work it out within a reasonable amount of time after receipt.  People should read the postings.  If something is posted AS IS, No Refund, No Return, either accept it or move on.  Pretty simple.  Why do some folks feel the need for a 30 day back warranty?  Sellers on swap boards are not dealerships, and some folks that buy items have no clue how to properly use it, one reason for the AS IS caveat.  If I don't feel comfortable with that statement, I just move on to another item.  Very very simple. 

Be an adult and have some integrity.  If you don't know a lot about the item, ask questions up front, don't just tell the Seller, "I Want It".  Yeah, I want a lot of things in life too but I am a realist.

If you can't afford the asking price, don't email or contact the Seller.  You can't afford it or don't have momma's permission.

If you feel uncomfortable with the transaction, MOVE ON.  I turned a chap away that actually offered me a tad more then the guy that "CONSIDER IT SOLD", who in short order, back peddled two days later after I uncabled, gathered everything up ready for the transit or either the item or myself with the item, lost use of it in the mean time and ended up hooking it all back up, and pulling the post and he told me he never made a commitment to me.  Really?  Certainly not what the email stated.  Whatever, won't be doing business either way with this guy in the future and certainly not too worried about it.  Sometimes it is a matter of maturity.

Figure out what you want, check your funds, be an adult with decision making or just move along. Simple as that.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 08:27:06 PM »

I've not had that happen. I'm usually the buyer.

I shall heed your words.

Good luck in future.

Wear your seat belt.

Kraus
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:51:08 AM »

I had a lunatic of a neighbor once. He tried making his living buying bargains from classifieds for awhile. He would call people and tell them to hold an item. If they had sold it already he would go berserk!

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »

I think some of these odd balls tell you to consider it "sold" so they can continue to shop around, much like the jerks in the check out lane at the grocery stores that shop from the check out line.  Personally, if I provide my word to someone, I follow thru.  If I don't have the funds or am uncertain, I don't entertain purchasing until I have all my info in place first.  If it is gone by that time, my loss, move on, look around elsewhere. 
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »

My brother-in-laws are e-Bay bargain idiots.

One saw some of my equipment and said, "Do you know how much you get for that on e-Bay!?"

He visited recently and spent most of his time on e-Bay looking for deals.

Idiots!!

Kraus

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »

The obvious lesson here is to tell any potential buyer that it is sold to the first person who shows up with the cash. You are not running a no cash down lay-away department.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 08:57:50 PM »

PULLING MY HAIR OUT, couldn't agree with you more. Common sense isn't so common. Kicker is you'll get this crap from college grad type engineers slash MIT characters as well. Not just the none educated looneys. Then they think your the problem when you get pissed off.

What the hell is in the air these days, or has humanity been so screwed up all this time the only reason we're noticing it is because we're more in contact with it thanks to technology?

Sometimes I feel like I was better off not knowing how screwed up it is.

N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 09:04:26 PM »

I've not had that happen. I'm usually the buyer.

I shall heed your words.

Good luck in future.

Wear your seat belt.

Kraus

Just had that happen to me!

Selling a FTDX1200 where the guy tells me he'll buy it sending me his shipping address. Then after I tell four other responders I have a person sending me money it's hard to tell those people it didn't fall through. Then if you contact them they think to themselves something must be wrong if it didn't fall through which couldn't be further from the truth. Same time I had another guy interested asking me crazy questions and then turns out he was just a window shopper. I'm like, HUH? WTF!

I've had it with today's recent hams buying. Definitely wasn't this bad 17years ago especially with people trying to scam you buy part swapping and extortion. Smh
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 12:11:08 AM »

The obvious lesson here is to tell any potential buyer that it is sold to the first person who shows up with the cash. You are not running a no cash down lay-away department.

- Glenn W9IQ
Bingo!  I do that now in all for sale postings...  If I get a consider it sold note, I tell them that the first person to pay is the person that gets the item.  I also give them my Paypal address.  I also sell Paypal, or cash only.  No issues yet...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »

Tried that a few times and ran into issues with that approach as well.  Bottom line, if you state you SOLD something to someone, they it's theirs once the money arrives.  If you say to a seller, consider it SOLD, they the Seller should be able to consider it sold and not jack around with re-posting, unboxing, etc  A persons word/integrity should mean something.  To lie and fabricate a story that makes you look better like I only asked questions, and deny that you committed to buying is just childish. Admit it, you changed your mind, your XYL won't let you release the funds, whatever, but please don't BS about it.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 11:26:49 AM »

No disagreement there...  If you say you are purchasing, and you say it in an unambiguous way, then you should buy it.  Like yourself, I have done this, and then found something better, only to purchase the lessor item because I said I would...  This is all about values, you either have them, or you don't.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 04:02:58 PM »

Exactly, and making up bogus excuses out of thin air, isn't the way to man up....cheers
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 06:33:31 AM »

Sadly, this is nothing new. 
I learned this lesson the hard way, years ago (pre-eBay) at hamfests.  Someone would examine an item, possibly bargain on the price, tell me it was "sold" an he'd be back shortly with the funds.  And 95 times out of 100, never see him again.

The worst one was when someone had heard I was taking my Drake C-Line twins to an upcoming 'fest, made me an offer the day before (which I accepted on the phone), and then claimed he never saw me... although I saw him walk right past my table and then come back a few minutes later with someone else's Drake twins.

But I learned.  So now, be it online or at a hamfest, if someone asks me to 'hold' something for them, or tells me to consider it 'sold' and they'll be back, I very politely and professionally tell them that I don't do that.  Either leave a deposit (officially non-refundable) or come back with the shekels.  If they gripe about it, and some do (usually the louder the gripes, the bigger the tire-kicker) I simply tell them that I've been burned too many times, and taken home items I could have sold to the next person.

Now I get about a 50/50 return on these 'promises'. 

What I really love, though, are the gripers who tell me that no one else will buy the item at my price (which is why they're tire kicking), only to see someone walk up right after they say this and hand me the cash.  There's a beautiful irony buried somewhere in there...
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »

I like the ones that have to lie about why they do what they do, I suppose to feel good about themselves and say stuff like "I never committed", etc.  Well, for me, if I tell someone "consider it sold", I buy it, period, whether I find something else in the meantime, because I value my word.  Sure, I have on rare occasion bought something I found afterwards was the wrong item.  Well, I pay for it and sell it later, perhaps losing money on it, but a lesson to be more thorough in my investigation.  I have told folks before, whomever gets funds to me first gets the item if there are more than one "taker".  If they don't mind getting a money order, refund, check mailed back, then go for it.  Usually, they evaporate like a fart in a whirlwind....never were THAT serious about it.  I don't see gear to make money like some of the flippers on here.  I usually only sell gear to make room for something or to just "let it go".  Yeah, I love the "be right back" knot-heads....couldn't tell the truth if they wanted to.  Such is our society..
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »

I only consider my item sold when I have the money in my hand. I make it known that first one with the payment gets the item. I do not hold an item or consider it sold till I have the money. I have never had a problem doing it this way.

73s

K2OWK
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: