The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOA = BS  (Read 5795 times)
N4UE

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »

I just saw an article on MSN where a Viet Nam Vet (I am one also), was ordered by his HOA to remove an American Flag wrap from his mailbox. WTF?Huh

I understand the Moderator's statement about not trying to argue with a HOA about antenna issues, but COME ON!

For those who haven't read my rants about antennas/lawsuits, let me get this of my chest, once again.....

A few years ago, I bought 5 acres in a subdivision. NO restrictions. NO HOA. I got 'permission' from the County Building Inspector to erect my 2 well engineered Rohn towers.

The neighbors got together and sued me because it was 'unattractive'. They lost. I lost. The legal fees cost me my dream shop/shack/home. And, a marriage to boot. The 'nice' neighbors scared my XYL so much, she left the state.

Bottom line?
#1 DON'T move into a HOA.
#2 Anyone can sue anyone for anything! How much $ do YOU have?

ron
N4UE

Now living in a neighboring county with 3 towers and NO f'n neighbors.....
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »

What are you doing for internet? I have fiber with over 80 mbps up and down. What are your nearby hospitals like? I live 30 minutes from NYC which has some of the finest hospitals and doctors in the world.  I had a TH5 on the roof of my old home (about 5 minutes from my present QTH) and had neighbors within a hundred or so feet of me. I also had a Butternut HF 2V and an inverted V for 80 and 40 in a tree. I also had a 4 element 2 meter beam on my roof with its own mast and rotor. I had no troubles with my neighbors. When I moved to my present QTH it was my decision not to erect the TH5. About 6 years ago I put up my present wire antennas at about 60 and 75 foot above ground. I live on 1/3 of an acre. No one has said a word to me about what I do on property which I own and pay taxes for. (you are welcome to do a Google search for my QTH. Obviously not a poor or rundown neighborhood.  No HOA's here and the home was built in 1985. My neighbors are 3 or 4 hundred foot from me. So, I ask this question, Why is it that I live in can live in a neighborhood where owning a home means that we each respect each others rights to freely live on our own  property without some neighbor or association which effetely has given themselves the right to supersede federal law by creating rules which make it impossible for me as a licensed amateur to make use of my earned privileges without sneaking around and before we get the moaning that the stealth hidden antenna would be outlawed by the new bill. Guess what, by operating a stealth antenna you already breaking the agreement you willingly signed and if the association wanted to pursue you it could already possibly toss you out in to the street if it wanted to. What a way to live. It seems some have drank the Kool Aide by saying that without a HOA neighbors would paint their homes purple and orange and raise pigs next door. I've lived in quite a few neighborhoods in my 61 years and have never experienced any place where I felt that I needed a third party group of neighborhood busybodies to protect my property value.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »

I just saw an article on MSN where a Viet Nam Vet (I am one also), was ordered by his HOA to remove an American Flag wrap from his mailbox. WTF?Huh

I understand the Moderator's statement about not trying to argue with a HOA about antenna issues, but COME ON!

For those who haven't read my rants about antennas/lawsuits, let me get this of my chest, once again.....

A few years ago, I bought 5 acres in a subdivision. NO restrictions. NO HOA. I got 'permission' from the County Building Inspector to erect my 2 well engineered Rohn towers.

The neighbors got together and sued me because it was 'unattractive'. They lost. I lost. The legal fees cost me my dream shop/shack/home. And, a marriage to boot. The 'nice' neighbors scared my XYL so much, she left the state.

Bottom line?

ron
N4UE

Point taken, and my empathy for your crappy neighbors problem...very unfortunate. They lost because they didn't have legal precedence. But you lost far more...not a good story. And thank you for your service.

However, for various reasons, not everyone can avoid a HOA community...they're all over the Country. Bottom line: DON'T move into a HOA, UNLESS you read and understand the rules and regulations BEFORE you sign the purchase agreement, and know what you're getting into. No reason for anyone to sue you. Then, if you're a ham and you're so inclined, make your own decision as to how to handle a stealth antenna design that no one will see. Push comes to shove, if you're caught, the HOA will issue a violation warning, and then you remove the antenna...they won't sue you first. At least you knew the risks. Not everyone can move with a #1 ham radio property priority. Unfortunate, but that's life.

73, Bob K7JQ
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:32:03 PM »

What are you doing for internet? I have fiber with over 80 mbps up and down. What are your nearby hospitals like? I live 30 minutes from NYC which has some of the finest hospitals and doctors in the world.  I had a TH5 on the roof of my old home (about 5 minutes from my present QTH) and had neighbors within a hundred or so feet of me. I also had a Butternut HF 2V and an inverted V for 80 and 40 in a tree. I also had a 4 element 2 meter beam on my roof with its own mast and rotor. I had no troubles with my neighbors. When I moved to my present QTH it was my decision not to erect the TH5. About 6 years ago I put up my present wire antennas at about 60 and 75 foot above ground. I live on 1/3 of an acre. No one has said a word to me about what I do on property which I own and pay taxes for. (you are welcome to do a Google search for my QTH. Obviously not a poor or rundown neighborhood.  No HOA's here and the home was built in 1985. My neighbors are 3 or 4 hundred foot from me. So, I ask this question, Why is it that I live in can live in a neighborhood where owning a home means that we each respect each others rights to freely live on our own  property without some neighbor or association which effetely has given themselves the right to supersede federal law by creating rules which make it impossible for me as a licensed amateur to make use of my earned privileges without sneaking around and before we get the moaning that the stealth hidden antenna would be outlawed by the new bill. Guess what, by operating a stealth antenna you already breaking the agreement you willingly signed and if the association wanted to pursue you it could already possibly toss you out in to the street if it wanted to. What a way to live. It seems some have drank the Kool Aide by saying that without a HOA neighbors would paint their homes purple and orange and raise pigs next door. I've lived in quite a few neighborhoods in my 61 years and have never experienced any place where I felt that I needed a third party group of neighborhood busybodies to protect my property value.

Before anyone makes a comment, I realize that I incorrectly typed the word, "effectively" and it should be drunk the Kool Aide, not drank. I didn't proofread carefully. My mistake, sorry.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:55:54 PM »

Bottom line?

ron
N4UE

Texas and to a lesser extent Alaska have loser pays court systems. The loser pays attorneys on both sides and court costs. The other states have residents that are open to lawsuits of any size from any direction at any time...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »

Hi Max, untortunately, Florida doesn't have the 'loser pay' ruling.
When the Judge ruled in our favor, the first thing I asked my Lawyer was, should I counter-sue?
He is a pretty good 'ole boy and said:

"You could, but there is no telling how long this could go on". "How much more do you want to spend?'

You see, the ugly neighbors's Lawyer was a brother (or some other relative) of their group. He might even been doing it for free. Before Court, he asked to "just move the towers into the woods".

I told him, "Naw, gonna put up several more".

Of course, I was just screwing with him, since he knew they were going to lose.

It's all behind me now, and I'm livin' life happily ever after.  Grin

ron
N4UE
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 11:49:49 AM »

Wow.

American flag wrap on the mailbox? That rates right up there with an American flag shirt or cap.
It is not classy. It is trashy.

The American flag is to fly free and unrestricted. It's not to be wrapped around anything.

Kraus
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 01:20:47 PM »

Have you been in combat?

I say the chap has paid his dues to do whatever the hell he wants.

ron
N4UE
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 02:57:07 PM »

I too paid my dues. Twenty years USAF.

Kraus
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 04:03:11 PM »

And no you can't just do the hell you want with the American flag.

Too many gave.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »

Herr Kraus,

Vielen Dank für Ihre Anstrengungen und Ihren Einsatz!

mfG,

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 04:55:21 AM »

Herr Kraus,

Vielen Dank für Ihre Anstrengungen und Ihren Einsatz!

mfG,

- Glenn W9IQ

Bitte.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »

Ja, Vielen Dank Kraus.  Ausgezeichnet.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 06:21:24 PM »

Ja, Vielen Dank Kraus.  Ausgezeichnet.

Bitte.
PBJOK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 04:57:51 PM »

I paid my dues too. Gadonk gadonk. I like cheese.

And it shows in my Stars & Striped underwear.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: