The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 7300-a contest radio?  (Read 10509 times)
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »

Lots of good radios out there, and plenty of gently used bargains on the market as well. Some of the bashing of particular brands really comes across as childish and juvenile. You bought a radio you didn't like it....who cares! You felt like you paid too much money for a rig....seems like that is your fault for not making an informed choice or for not knowing what you wanted in the first place.

Excellent summary!

Can one contest with a 7300? The answer is "yes."

Is it a contester's radio? The answer is "no."

And that has always been the case. Different radios, with their strengths and weaknesses, otherwise we would have only one model per manufacturer. Nothing has changed in this respect since the 7300 was released.

Icom was either very modest or honest, when they called the 7300 an entry-level/starter radio (I don't remember the exact wording).
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 05:49:18 AM »

You have to love these forum's, E ham reviews and how companies advertise there products. First example is the two reviews by the same ham, one on the 7300 and the next on the K3, he basically pisses on the 7300 which is a $1300 dollar street price radio and over glorifies the K3S yest the K3S is more than two or three times the price of the 7300, WTF did he expect. Another example is as soon as someone says a radio is good there seems to be a battle group defending something else which cost way more to purchase, its like they troll the internet just to defend what they purchased, why I really dont know but they have to have this verbal notification on the net. The third one is I am surprised that Elecraft on there site has to place a comparo between there K3S and the much lower price entry level IC 7300, IMO that is third grade piss poor advertising and its not the first time they have done that just look back when the K2 was in its hay day and they were comparing it to the contest proven back in those days which was the FT1000MP. I owned both and the K2 was a very nice portable radio but in NO WAY bested my FT1000MP, back then I had above average antennas at my home station with stacks on 10,15&20, 3 elements on 40 plus phased dipoles on 75 and that K2 would fall apart were those MP just kept on trucking.
Today's radio's are much better but there is always going to be something better plus there is more to buying a radio then were it sits on Shewoods list, even ole Rob states this himself in one of his Dayton speeches.
Again the days old question is if the 7300 is a contest radio, I would have to say it depends on the station that you are planing to use it with and if you are fortunate to have a above average antenna farm at your QTH, are not hampered by CC&R's, reside out in the country were your noise level is low enough to really be able to use that hi end gear well then maybe the 7300 would be low on your list and you may just want to invest a little more but for many ham's today that 7300 with its above average performance may just do fine. What it's not is a K3S Killer but its allot easier to use and master then the K3 ever was plus for that matter the TS590 was not a K3 killer but here again it was far easier to use.
What I am surprised about is what is really taking sales away from the K3S is the new generation of SDR's, both Flex and Anan have radio's that cost as much as the K3S loaded up and perform better plus the K3S is still NO SDR platform.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »

Another example is as soon as someone says a radio is good there seems to be a battle group defending something else which cost way more to purchase, its like they troll the internet just to defend what they purchased, why I really dont know but they have to have this verbal notification on the net.

I have mentioned this a couple of times here on the forums. I wish I had captured both screens.

I was browsing the for sale section of eHam. A guy is selling his radio, and the description of said radio was all praiseworthy.

Fast forward a day or two. Same guy writes a review of the same radio - now sold, I'm sure - and according to him was a terrible one.

Nothing illegal about that, but kind of 'interesting' to see how fast his opinion changed.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »

When I sold my K3 I said I just could not warm up to the user interface of the control layout, it simply was not for my liking and sold it in less than a half hours time. Never did a review cause I only owned it for a month and it was a like new in the box radio, no marks, scratches or smudge marks on the display window but the buyer didn't care plus I sold it for what the kit sells for new. But when someone does a good review on a rig then sells it and then writes a bad review well something fishy is with that guy, he is a two faced turd in my book.
N2WQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 04:35:57 AM »

First, a general piece of advice- make sure you know who's providing their opinion and how credible they are. In the case of questions on contesting, look them up on 3830scotrs.com to get some sense of their accomplishments.

To answer the question- yes, the 7300 is a contest grade radio in a properly designed station. With the help of 7300s, we have broken 3 Canadian M/S records in CQ WW RTTY low and high power and CQWPX RTTY high power. In the case of CQWW RTTY we were marginally behind K1TTT/K1SFA even though they are hundreds of miles South and have an extensive antenna farm. In all instances the 7300 was used along a K3S and both radios performed exactly the same; ops chose one vs the other solely based on ergonomics.

Note that I wrote "in a properly designed station". The 7300 does not have a dedicated RX antenna input and requires an add-on if you don't have existing antenna switching infrastructure to connect any antenna to any radio.

Even though I am very much looking forward to the release of the 7610, I will most likely buy more 7300s for the ultimate flexibility of running the stations as SO2R, M/S, or M/2.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »

First, a general piece of advice- make sure you know who's providing their opinion and how credible they are.

Bingo, yes, indeed. In many instances, opinions are like armpits.  Grin
AA2UK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »

I always found that any rig can contest, what makes the difference is the antennas you use with the rig.
Example operator A uses a FT-736 (old) on 6 meters with a low dipole the Rx would probably never overload.
Example B the same FT-736 is using a pair of 7 element Yagi's the lower at 250 feet operator B will have some RX overload issues making contesting difficult.
I give this example because op A and then B were both me in many VHF Contests.
Bill AA2UK
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 06:30:20 AM »

Over last weekend id did operate the CQWW Phone dx contest, I mainly used my FTDX3000 cause the 7300 doesn't have two vfo knobs which is very handy for getting to those splits on 40m during the second night and Sunday night before the close. I did compare the two rigs on the slow times on 40&75 meters were signals were very strong and tightly packed on ssb. Antennas are not the greatest by using a single doublet for 40&75 at 50' and a TH2 at 33' for the higher bands but still enough rf coming down the coax to do some comparos. This is what I found is that it seems when you are trying to copy a new mult on 3.799 and you have K3LR splattering over at 3.801 with relentless CQing the FTDX3000 was the better radio, the 7300 was close but with a 40 plus over signal on the 3000 and it was 50 over on the 7300 the Yaesu was clearly better. The overload light never went on and both radio's I do not use the pre amps on at all so I did also check this out on 40 at night as well with some at times on 20m but it seemed that there were only a few times were the Yaesu was better. Could I use the Icom  at my station during a contest hell yes but having the two I would say for now the 3000 is slightly better, and if the Yaesu fails the 7300 makes one hell of a backup.
For casual DXing and rag chew the audio on both RX &TX is superb on the 7300 but for DX contesting with the parametric EQ in the Yaesu you can taylor its sound to be a meat grinding pile up busting TX audio so from my little pistola station the 3000 has the edge. If I still had the station I built back in the middle nineties with stacked mono banders on two towers the clear advantage would be more  on the side of the 3K but back then we survived with 1000MP's. Just my observation from last weekend and your mileage may vary but I really enjoy both rigs and that is what having fun in this hobby is all about.   
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: