The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6300 vs. FTDX3000  (Read 4936 times)
N2KHH

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:53:55 PM »

Using 3000 now and considering 6300 with Maestro. Any opinion as to SDR vs. "Old" technology?
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:04:48 PM »

It really depends on your operating needs, the Flex gives a nice pan display but you need your computer on unless you buy the Mestro but even that display is small placed against a 24" monitor. The flex gives you mouse operation of point and click were with the 3000 you would have to use it with HTD and with the IF out can set up a separate SDR RX to and have your cake and eat it too plus the SDR goes threw the multiple band pass filters that the flex doesn't have so the front end filtering in the FTDX3K is built far better than the 6300 in that area, if you use separate SDR on the IF out of the 3000 it also uses those band pass filters as well. The Flex bought used seems to be priced between $1600 to $1800 and used Mestro's around $900, used FTDX3K 's I have seen between $1100 to $1300, you can add a Panadapter module for as little as $155 like the Noble Radio PAN3K and with the two above programs control almost everything from the computer if you wish and on a big monitor have an excellent display thanks to HDSDR for you pan display..
I have thought about the 6300 and have owned the 3000 for more than a few years, I just don't see any need or performance area's were the flex 6300 would be any better and to find a better RX section I would have to look at the 6500 or one of the newer Fkex radio's when the come out. With the Yaesu you do have a simple fish finder display, its not great but is useful if you dont have the time in the shack to boot up your computer. I find the FTDX3K to have a very useful DSP section and a more than better old school front end plus the lab tests second order numbers are far better than the 6300 which may come into play if you have a local ham who lives down the street. Just because a transceiver has SDr technology it doesn't always say its going to be any better than a well designed as you say old school radio.
If you want to go SDR I would wait till the 6400's hit the street and see how that model does in lab testing and then make your move or the new Icom 7610 but that 's gonna have a over $3K price tag.
KX3DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »

I love the ergonomics and pan-adapter of the Flex but the digital noise reduction on the FTdx-3000 is the best I've found so far.  I use the Flex on digital and the FTdx-3000 on phone and CW.  I have an SDR on the RX-out port of the '3000 which is nice.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:47:22 PM »

Between HRD and HDSDR with the PAN3K panadapter I have almost everything controlled threw the mouse wit a very detailed pan display up on a separate 24" monitor and agree with you on the NR on the Yaesu, it really does work very well on ssb and cw. I haven't had a 7300 in the shack long enough to effectively tests its NR but it is also a contender with the FTDX3K but was not impressed with the NR on the 6300.
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 06:33:36 PM »

Now the Flex 6400 that would be a no brainier, if this new series is half of what they claim its going to be a great rig all around.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »

Sherwood shows the 6300 just under the Flex 3000. How is a comparison to the 6300 even relevant, unless of course.....

There has yet to be a paradigm performance shift in SDR for the typical user, despite all the latest comboobery, posturing and faldera..
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 06:02:49 PM »

Please read the post before you trigger your reply, we are talking about the FTDX3000 VS the Flex 6300 not the Flex 3000.
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »

Now the Flex 6400 that would be a no brainier, if this new series is half of what they claim its going to be a great rig all around.

Agreed, if I had a choice now I would go with the 6400. I'm shocked Stan hasn't gotten into this thread to slam Flex, he's slipping.

FlexRadio 6300 Maestro Combo
Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »

Today the used market on the FTDX3000 is around $1200-$1400, the used Price of the Flex 6300 is still around $1500 but once the 6400 hits the streets the 6300 will drop like a hot potato. I personally don't se the need to go with the Flex at this time, I can computer control and adjust most functions of the 3K by using HRD and with my PAN3K with HDSDR place a nice pan display plus point and click operation so unless there is astounding RX performance needed I am very please with the Yaesu's RX performance. I am at a wait and see attitude about the newer Flex offereings so until they hit the streets and they have an overwhelming response as far as RX performance I will then look into it again.
Have nothing against SDR radio's since I also own a 7300 but for contesting and DXing the 3000 is still my preference.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 10:10:18 PM »

I have had both and the ftdx3000 is a better rig - better dsp functions and filtering and can have a spectrum display easily added.

The Maestro has been a problem child for Flex - just read the reviews here on eham. Additionally, I did not like the Windows paradigm of the Flex radios (not Windows bashing btw, I like Win10). I just found myself spending a lot of time fussing with the computer, most often after a Windows update. Got rid of it for that reason.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: