The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hara Arena to the Highest Bidder.....  (Read 12383 times)
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 03:06:14 AM »

No only someone totally clueless on a subject they preach about and their comments are based solely on Internet searches or hearsay or just plain BS and not first hand knowledge They do this to try to sell their warped view and spread discontent or start fights in forums to make up for some insecurity and strong desire to sell their false claims as the truth when it is not. That is a troll....

Which fits you to a "T".  After months of predicting gloom and doom, you didn't attend the event, and when over 90% of the attendees polled liked the event and praised it, you ignored them in favor of the few who had problems.  You, by your very own definition, are a classic, dyed in the wool troll of the first magnitude.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2017, 04:42:18 AM »

The flea market mud could be fixed with some form of sheet overlay to keep the "load" from destroying the sod.

You are dreaming on that. A big flea market needs to be on pavement or at very least gravel not grass.

Many seem to try to defend DARA's cattlefest event but bottom line that many seem to totally miss is that they picked Xenia because it is was by far CHEAPEST option and not even remotely the best. If you had visited Xenia fair grounds this summer you would of seen livestock once again in building that vendors used in May. Hara had its problems for sure but never had livestock use vendor spaces in building.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 05:13:56 AM »

Then how did the vendors survive in Hara after the rodeo? All those horses and cattle. My goodness! Animals all over the vending space! Wow!

Anybody else see all that manure at Hara? I mean holy cow. Animals in the vendor space! It can't be! No one cleans up spaces used by animals for other uses. Just never happens! Manure stays forever! Did you see it? The world must be ending...manure at Hara!

Say it never happened John! I can't believe my eyes! It just can't be true! Animals at Hara! Impossible!

https://www.daytonlocal.com/things-to-do/worlds-toughest-rodeo-hara-arena.asp

Ah yes, the JX world shuffles on.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 07:31:15 AM »

Hi,

Aside from all the unrelated BS on here, does anyone know the result of the "auction", I believe it was to have been yesterday?

John 
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2017, 09:43:47 AM »

Hi,

Aside from all the unrelated BS on here, does anyone know the result of the "auction", I believe it was to have been yesterday?

John 

Sale was Wednesday the 30th, and no, haven't heard anything so maybe JX couldn't come up with enough lunch money.  Grin
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »

Hi,

73,  John 
I don't know if this is the same in Ohio, but when there's a tax sale in PA, there's usually a 30 day window to permit the original owner a last ditch opportunity to make amends.

Considering though that this was an IRS auction, not a Sheriff's Sale or similar, that may not hold in any case.

...what if they held an auction, and nobody bid?...
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »

...what if they held an auction, and nobody bid?...

were that to happen here, JX would post here & blame DARA for having over-used & trashed the place  Wink
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2017, 04:47:22 AM »

There are 744,541 hams in the U.S. (according to the latest license counts).

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,70322.msg1017360/boardseen.html#new

If every ham in the U.S. just donated just $5.00, we could pay off the lien and have some money left over for refurbishing the building and grounds. Make a part of the Arena into an Amateur Radio Museum and go back to having the Hamvention (and other events) there every year.

Another option and perhaps more feasible

Setup a corporation in order to sell stocks to raise capitol to pay off the lien and refurbish the building and manage the Hara Arena. Sell stocks for $5.00 (or more) and everyone who owns stock will become a stockholder.

Who could run the corporation? Maybe the ARRL?

Setup bylaws stipulating that part of the the Arena will be turned into an Amateur Radio Museum and that the Hamfest will go back to being held there again and the rest of the arena can go back to running events again. Stockholders will get a 25% discount to all events at the arena including the radio museum and the Hamfest.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2017, 05:01:12 AM »

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,70322.msg1017360/boardseen.html#new

If every ham in the U.S. just donated just $5.00, we could pay off the lien and have some money left over for refurbishing the building and grounds. Make a part of the Arena into an Amateur Radio Museum and go back to having the Hamvention (and other events) there every year.

Setup a corporation in order to sell stocks to raise capitol to pay off the lien and refurbish the building and manage the Hara Arena. Sell stocks for $5.00 (or more) and everyone who owns stock will become a stockholder.

Setup bylaws stipulating that part of the the Arena will be turned into an Amateur Radio Museum and that the Hamfest will go back to being held there again and the rest of the arena can go back to running events again. Stockholders will get a 25% discount to all events at the arena including the radio museum and the Hamfest.

Why? With all the possible venues available, why would any ham, or any one for that matter, invest in that hunk of junk? Plus after you dumped all the money into fixing it, where is the money to operate and maintain it going to come from? 1 Hamvention a year will not even cover the operating costs.

Not going to waste $5 on a lost cause. Your now down to 744,540.

KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2017, 07:03:09 AM »

I have not been to the Hamvention for many years (mainly due to travel costs, and a lack of vacation time or a vehicle I can trust). Dayton was an 8 hour drive for me if traffic wasn't too heavy. I am, however grateful that it was only moved to Xenia rather than, say twice as far away as it is now! Would it be nice if Hara was renovated? Yes, it would. Is it realistic? No, it's not. So for all the complainers, be grateful that you don't have to go to a venue that is MUCH farther away than the Hamvention's former location. Be grateful that there is STILL A HAMVENTION.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »

While it's a nice idea in theory, I don't see it as practical.

Before we even discuss the current shape of the abandoned building, which has probably had minimal to no maintenance for the last year, I doubt you could get $5 from every amateur... make it $10 from every active amateur.  Even if you did, paying off the lien is only the first part.  Then you have to renovate the buildings and grounds... assuming that the buildings CAN be renovated at this point in time.

We're talking a good cool million AT LEAST.

But OK, let's say you could raise the shekels to do all that.  Could you attract enough business to rent the facility year round, at least to the point where you could break even?

No.  Sad to say, HARA is gone.  It's not coming back.  It is a dead arena.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »

Down to 744,538 now.

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2017, 06:09:48 PM »

Great idea!   Why don't you start the gofundme site, set up the corporation, and do all the work.  Let us know when you have all the details worked out. 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2017, 11:35:48 PM »

Down to 744,538 now.

i am in favor for a state of the art e-convention.  instead of tables, hams and vendors can post items for sale and pick-up location and / or shipping costs with the e-site getting a cut  Tongue  looking forward to the virtual presentations on DX and products.  no parking congestion or JX rants about lingering farm animal auras Wink 73
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2017, 06:09:11 AM »

or JX rants about lingering farm animal auras Wink 73

Some have very low standards (like DARA) and have no reservations about charging top dollar to use converted livestock barns for vendors and crowds and the sheep being sheep do not care. If they took time to visit place in summer they would see first hand what those buildings a NORMALLY used for and better understand where I am coming from and why they picked it because it was dirt-cheap. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: