The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Tire kicking"  (Read 8210 times)
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 08:08:54 AM »

Man, these swap boards certainly bring out the odd ball, painful "buyers", actually, they technically aren't buyers, as they buy nothing in the end, except waste your time.  My recent experience was with AI6J.  Sends me an email "I want to buy your radio".  I pretty much had everything in the posting, condition, price, payment methods, etc.  This guy sends me the "want the item" and call me at xxx to discuss.  Discuss what, I have no idea, perhaps his address as all he lists is a PO Box.  I told him up front, I would PP but he would have to pay the 3% fee for the transaction since I am paying for packing materials, shipping cost and insurance.  Then this situation starts to get stupid.  Wants to negotiate the cost/price, wants me to remove an option, quotes a price he is willing to pay which is way below market value.  Mind you, I don't mind someone asking if I am willing to take less on something (afterall, I am not doing this to raise money but just to move something out of the shack).  Don't you NORMALLY ask that in your initial Email or communication (?) like "saw your posting, interested in your item, would you consider $XX".  At that point you can either agree or sorry, move on.  This op wasn't serious to start with I could tell.  Hmm hawed about what he was going to pay, etc., and told me the price he would pay.  I told him up front, the price was firm.  Duh.  I just moved on, but I sent him an invoice and he could either pay it or look for some lesser item for the price he was quoting.

Why do folks just waste your time like this?  Instead of committing to buy an item (I want your xxx), just ask your questions in one email and/or move on?  I think as painful as Ebay is, perhaps that is the way to go.  Some of these individuals have no idea of market value, let alone how to properly buy an item.   Just glad I didn't sell him (nor is that ever going to happen in the future), as I know more problems would fill my Inbox.  So for all this...all I can say is ( | )...
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »

< snip >
Why do folks just waste your time like this?  Instead of committing to buy an item (I want your xxx), just ask your questions in one email and/or move on? 
< snip >
Boredom?

Or they're hoping to talk you down in order to resell it at your original asking price, though I usually see that behavior at hamfests.
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »

Have you ever been to an Arab Souk?  Have you ever heard of haggling?  Do you have any experience as a car salesman that you can speak from experience of "tire kickers"?  Hmmm?

Me thinks that tire kickers are part of selling.  As a seller, you deal with it as you wish.  If you are wise, you will realize that a tire kicker can turn into a buyer.  Sure.

I have sold two old rigs over eBay recently.  Both had some minor issues, which were described on the eBay auction offer.  I "demonstrated" the rigs by making videos of me using the rigs, and then posting the videos to Youtube, and adding the youtube link on the eBay auction offer.  I assume that the buyers had viewed the videos.  I did get more than I expected for both rigs.  No tire kicking required.

73 and "love ya"
Joe
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »

Not when they have told me "they want it"...more or less conveys to me done deal.  I usually ask questions up front "would you consider XX$", "would you mind sending additional pics", etc.  The posting was detailed and the price identified, shipping, insurance and packing materials included.  Nothing mentioned about take this off, remove this my offer to you is XX after you already told me I want it.

Well, live and learn.  Ebay with thier hands in your pockets isn't fun but usually better then this nonsense...no real way to back out there or play games unless of course they start the "not as advertised nonsense on you after the fact"...almost as bad.  The first email was a red flag to me.  No one hardly commits right out the gate with I want it, consider it sold, etc.  I usually don't bother holding an item for some TK like that as I already know where it will likely lead....
Cheers and beers...
LUCYAJONES

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 11:25:07 PM »

One thing to talk eye to eye at a hamfest, that is all piece of the move. Over swap sheets, the web is there to enable you to get information. ARRL has gear surveys posted too. Exceptionally instructive. All relies upon what you need and need to utilize the thing for Smiley Smiley Smiley
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 03:54:32 AM »

Yep, do your homework long before committing verbally (or otherwise) to purchasing someone's item.  It isn't fair to the seller or other potential buyers that were turned away because an item was "sold" when in fact, the tire kicking buyer had no intention of every purchasing anything....
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 04:28:27 AM »

Easier solution...Just don't buy/sell from/to people that whine a lot. You're never going to do things right (by their standard) anyway.

That's what I have learned since asking the original question.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 11:18:25 AM »

Better yet, if you are wanting to buy something, know and understand what the item is, ask your questions up front, then either make a decision or move on.  No harm done, no waste of time on either side.  For myself, if I want to buy something and need more info, I ask.  Not hard to do but I never commit up front and then back out later due to poor judgement or lack of funds.  Not a perfect being, but try to allow other folks the ability to sell to someone else if I cannot decide in the meantime, but certainly don't tell a seller, I want your item or consider it sold and then disappear or back peddle.  Not a good thing.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 12:56:17 PM »

I think that needs to be said 50 or 60 more times just to waste more space. If they have not gotten the message yet, with as many times as it has been repeated, they never will.

Like I said, don't deal with whiners!

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »

Exactly..Move on..
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: