The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Haven't We Seen Handheld SDRs?  (Read 5727 times)
KC2NLT

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »

Why Haven't We Seen Handheld SDRs with built in screens and traditional tuning knobs and buttons?

I would think this technology would revolutionize the industry.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:34:08 PM »

The KX2 and KX3 are sdr's.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »

Last I checked a lot of power is required to do the computations. There might be a low power solution out there that nobody is capitalizing on. My Tecsun portable rx uses a dsp chipset and 3 AA's last a few hours.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KS4JU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »

About the only thing that has come close is Alinco's DJ-X11 handheld communications receiver since it has IQ output. I have had one for years and it does a respectable job when connected to a PC soundcard and a 3rd party SDR program. However, the bandwidth is pretty narrow. You can make your own portable receiver with a small USB RTL Dongle with an Android phone or tablet with a OTG cable and the SDR Touch software. The new Flex Radio 2.0 software and SSDR-IOS lets you carry your HF station in your pocket using an iPhone. So there are few options already, just not would we like to see.
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 06:45:53 PM »

Actually in a way we have. For example, the chip inside Baofeng and Wouxun HT's is digital, with the whole signal processing chain in dedicated logic. Although it isn't re-configurable, if that's your criteria.

Jim K6JH
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 07:16:37 AM »

Because you haven't built one.

Have fun.

Kraus
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:15:34 PM »

What is the goal of a truly portable SDR? Performance? Agility? Interface?

Will it need to have the power and space consuming panafall? Why? Why not?

What is "handheld"? UV-5R sized? iPhone size? iPad size?

ND1SU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 06:42:36 AM »

Osborne size....  Grin

AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 09:29:53 AM »

Osborne size....  Grin

Hee hee, way off topic but I worked for a floppy drive company that supplied Osborne. They said our drives didn't work, we left one on over the weekend and it melted the floppy discs...

Back on topic:  I  have two Wouxuns right in front of me and forgot they are based on a SDR chipset... they don't call me an Amateur for nothing...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 08:29:53 AM »

Hams love big. Look at the average age of the ham population, and tell me if they would buy a pocket sized HF radio. They want something huge that they can actually see the controls on.

VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 06:21:38 PM »

yes, that's probably a main reason for the popularity of SDRs that are driven by PCs with multiple giant display screens.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 08:04:47 PM »

IMO, "main reason for the popularity of SDRs that are driven by PCs with multiple giant display screens" is the "more is better" mentality.

The ability to see the entire ham radio spectrum at once, as opposed to one band, one band segment, or a single frequency.

Has nothing to do with age and everything to do with oneupmanship and bragging rights.

Nothing has changed. Nothing wrong with it. No different than any other hobby.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 12:13:18 AM »

IMO, "main reason for the popularity of SDRs that are driven by PCs with multiple giant display screens" is the "more is better" mentality.

The ability to see the entire ham radio spectrum at once, as opposed to one band, one band segment, or a single frequency.

Has nothing to do with age and everything to do with oneupmanship and bragging rights.

Nothing has changed. Nothing wrong with it. No different than any other hobby.........

.........where/when confidence outstrips ability.........

........and where perhaps the Fiat 500 would be a better match for most of their owners.   Grin
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:20:43 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 06:17:31 AM »

Osborne size....  Grin

LOL! This was my family's first PC, back when I was in high school! Came with a Juki daisywheel printer...
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 06:47:37 PM »

A DC to 500mhz 25 watt radio  would be a better option. This is what the current Military designers such as RF Harris, Collins and R&S are doing. All mode all bands. With the advent of LDMOS amplifier producing a 100 watt or even a 500 radio  is easily realizable.

Another option would be a 25 watt SDR HF Manpack or suitcase radio running on 18650 batteries. This would be a better option than the current Dick Tracy radios with a  optional bag of trunk junk that is the equivalent of wheeling a tube radio around!

Theres not a lot of clear thinking in the ham radio design industry! They just need to go see what RF Harris  and R&S is doing and produce ham versions!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: