The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Labs 5W CW Transceiver Kit  (Read 10289 times)
N4IAG

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »

QRP Labs is now selling a new feature-packed, single-band 5W CW transceiver kit for $49. I ordered a 40m one from the first batch, which quickly sold out. The next batch will be ready in September. I think they're going to sell a ton of these babies.

http://qrp-labs.com/qcx.html

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
KL7KN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:55:05 PM »

Thanks for the heads up!  Looks like a really slick kit.  I'll have to get in line for the 20M kit.
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:55:54 AM »

2nd batch already sold out, most of next batch accounted for as pre-orders!

Myself and a colleague have a pair on pre-order

Hans knows his stuff and his kits are always feature packed (I run one of his U3S beacons with relay unit and GPS on WSPR), and they get regularly improved through firmware updates. The quality is great, and such simple but often overlooked features like extra board holes for off board mounting controls are provided (at 0.1" pitch so you can use SIL connectors). An amazing thing with this kit is that the test gear to align it is built in! It also works as a WSPR or CW beacon, can take a GPS input to calibrate frequency (and set locator and time for WSPR), inbuilt keyer, CW decoder that works in Tx and Rx, or can be used for practice!

Ive already enquired about WSPR receive capability, but this would need to bypass the CW filter and also some firmware changes, but if enough people think its a useful idea Hans will probably build it into a future firmware!

I can foresee a future multiband version!

VA3RR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 05:35:12 AM »

Ive already enquired about WSPR receive capability, but this would need to bypass the CW filter and also some firmware changes, but if enough people think its a useful idea Hans will probably build it into a future firmware!

I've ordered one for 60 metres because I don't have a rig for that band.  However, I'm intrigued about the WSPR functionality, so I modified my order to include his GPS receiver.  I hope Hans updates the firmware so 6 digit grid squares can be used - the manual currently indicates that only a 4 digit grid square can be inputted.

To that end, can someone point me to a cheap method of updating the firmware for this rig?  I would ask Hans, but I suspect he is QRL filling his orders.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »

To that end, can someone point me to a cheap method of updating the firmware for this rig?  I would ask Hans, but I suspect he is QRL filling his orders.

Hans has stated on the QRP-L list that he will not make any of the code public. I don't know how upgrades will work, likely an IC swap.
VA3RR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 06:30:36 PM »

Hans has stated on the QRP-L list that he will not make any of the code public. I don't know how upgrades will work, likely an IC swap.

He does make firmware updates available on his website for the Ultimate 3S, which is different than making the code public...

https://www.qrp-labs.com/ultimate3/u3firmware.html

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »

He does make firmware updates available on his website for the Ultimate 3S, which is different than making the code public...

https://www.qrp-labs.com/ultimate3/u3firmware.html

Then it's in the realm of possibility it'll use the same method as the U3S, since both use the same ATMEL MCU.
WD3N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 11:17:32 PM »

Only 63 cw kits left of the preorder.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 08:55:51 AM »

I'd like to know how difficult it is to mount this PCB inside a case with those electrolytic caps sticking up.

I recently bought two frequency counters with the same design and mounting them in a case is a nightmare and they don't have the tall caps in the way.  However it is necessary to create access holes for the controls which is also difficult with the readout on the same plane.
WD3N

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 03:49:46 PM »

I believe what you think are electrolytic caps,are the encoder knob and gain knob.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »

Can't go wrong for that price !
Barry
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 10:15:10 PM »

3N:  I'm OK now coach, put me back in............
WD3N

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »

Ok you're still first string ..get back in there!!!
Thank you for your service!!!!
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »

Here's a very descriptive video of IZ7VHF assembling his QCX:
https://ae5x.blogspot.com/2017/10/roberto-iz7vhf-assembles-his-qcx-qrp.html

W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 10:19:26 PM »

I'm number 577 for a 40 meter kit.  Does anyone know where the delivery schedule is now up to? Cool
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: