The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Endfed antenna at 11 feet high  (Read 8832 times)
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »

I recently moved into a new HOA community in AZ which has no trees. As soon as the weather is cooler I will go in the attic and pull out the coax cable that I installed when they were building the house. It is a stucco house with attic insulation that has foil backing.

I plan on a MFJ 1786 Loop for 10 to 20 m and a MFJ "hamstick" for 40m with a ground counterpoise. The hamstick won't be seen because of the 8 foot high tree we have planted. The loop will not exceed the 6 foot high fence.

I was wondering if a 66 foot or so long endfed antenna at 11 feet high that I can hide in the overhang of the roof would be of any value .

Thanks
Steve
KF7ZFC
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »

May be ok, but at 11' I think it's performance will be compromised.

Instead of the MFJ Loop, I would try the Transworld 2010 vertical dipole with auto switch box from DX Engineering for 10-20. I have one that I use portable and for vacations, and it works very very well. It takes 5 minutes at most to set up and take down (honestly), and is not narrow banded like the loop that will require constant retuning (let alone the issues that come along with legendary MFJ QC).

There are also mono band boxes for 30m, 40m and 80m available for the TW2010. The 30m and 40m boxes work great, but the lower the band the narrower your bandwidth (I have not tried the 80m box and not sure how well it would work).

I worked a lot of 30m and 40m contacts on vacation in crummy conditions from Central Oregon several weeks ago, including a few to VK land on 30m at 100w.

Don KF7DS
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »

Don

I looked at the DX 2010 antenna but it is 8.25 ft. tall and 5 ft. wide. It will be easily seen from the street and my next door neighbor since my cinder block fence is only 6 feet high. The tree I have planted is only 2 feet wide.

Second problem is the $250 price difference. As retired person that is going to be a problem.

Thanks for the advice
Steve
KF7ZFC
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 04:29:43 AM »

Tuck it under the edge of the roofing shingles near the ridge of the roof .... the higher the better.

Matt
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:26:01 AM »

Matt

I should have said with the stucco walls that I had a Mexican style tile roof

Steve
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 07:03:45 AM »

I recently moved into a new HOA community in AZ which has no trees. As soon as the weather is cooler I will go in the attic and pull out the coax cable that I installed when they were building the house. It is a stucco house with attic insulation that has foil backing.

I plan on a MFJ 1786 Loop for 10 to 20 m and a MFJ "hamstick" for 40m with a ground counterpoise. The hamstick won't be seen because of the 8 foot high tree we have planted. The loop will not exceed the 6 foot high fence.

I was wondering if a 66 foot or so long endfed antenna at 11 feet high that I can hide in the overhang of the roof would be of any value .

Thanks
Steve
KF7ZFC

For you flagpole style antenna could be the best option. That you should be able to negotiate with HOA. Another option for negotiation would be vertical above roof top. Neither option will stick out visually and thus could be acceptable to HOA architecture board. In either case you will need a tuner at feed point for efficient operation.
AE0Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »

Thanks  Steve  KF7ZFC

Steve,  I am in a townhouse and have the MFJ-1786 loop, I usually put it out on our deck when I use it but it works in the living room, too.  Magnetic loops work well.  I think you would be better with a 40m dipole (66 ft total) under the eves rather than an end-fed 66 ft wire, though.  There will be less RFI in your house and if the dipole is fed with foam twin lead you can use it on all bands with any number of antenna tuners (an L-match circuit is probably the best).  The foam twinlead is less noticeable than bigger open-wire line.  I've worked DXCC and numerous WAS with a 40m dipole in the attic (no metallic insulation) and a Ten Tec 238 tuner.

Glenn AE0Q

Glenn and V-NATCH Katie,
HP-O, MXB, MJB, XF
http://www.hoopsandjumps.com/
http://funagility.webs.com/
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 11:06:59 AM »

Thanks Glenn
KM4DYX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »

Thanks
Steve
KF7ZFC

I think that it would be worth a try. I like the idea of a clandestine antenna. Could you possible run the wire all the way around the perimeter of your roof and make it a loop?

I once had a wire running around the inside of the room, near the ceiling. It worked.

Al
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:52:02 AM »

Worked a CW ham in Louisiana on 40m other night, I was QRP, he had a nearby thunderstorm/QRN.
 His dipole at 10 feet. No problem with the QSO lasting 20 minutes. I routinely QSO other ops using vy low
 mount antennas. Put up what ever you can and enjoy this hobby, don't over think it, the antenna WILL radiate.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »

By using an endfed at 10 feet with a counterpoise underneath it, you have a decent NVIS antenna.  800 to 1000 mi. good comms on 40.
Art
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 10:14:26 AM »

Thanks
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »

Put up what ever you can and enjoy this hobby, don't over think it, the antenna WILL radiate.

That's really good advice, and so is KM4DYX's!   Try putting up some wire and see how it does.  And Al's suggestion of a loop is a good one.  If you can feed it with twinlead, you'll be able to use it on multiple bands, and you're just about certain to have some fun with it.  :-)  73 GL!  --ken
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »

Friend had fairly good results using a MyAntenna's 8010 end fed inside an attic, as well as on top of an 8 foot fence!  Hams living in "The Villages" (in Florida) have found great ways to consistently beat their restrictive HOA antenna rules!  Check their website under "resources" to see some of what they do.  www.K4VRC.com
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 02:21:22 AM »

Remember in AZ the ground is basically ground up glass bottles. Any vertical -- flagpole or whatever -- requires a "ground" as half the antenna. Your yard is an insulator not a conductor. So you'll need a lot of radials and the construction will draw your neighbors attention. And you'll still need an approval. Go with the MFJ loop. You do have to tune them all the time if you move a few KHz but it's quick and easy once you get the hang of it. I had one on a painter's pole -- low -- and worked a lot of people and had a lot of fun. The hamstick will work. There are lots of them on cars and people have QSOs -- right? The wire around the eves may work. Likely NVIS but that's a way to have QSOs -- just not so much DX -- but we're at low sunspots anyway. Feed it as a loop not as a long wire or you have that ground thing again.

Do what you can do. Work who you can work. Enjoy what you can enjoy.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: