The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Endfed antenna at 11 feet high  (Read 9054 times)
WX7Q

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »

KF4ZGZ
Tuck it under the edge of the roofing shingles near the ridge of the roof .... the higher the better.
Matt

KM4DYX
I think that it would be worth a try. I like the idea of a clandestine antenna. Could you possible run the wire all the way around the perimeter of your roof and make it a loop?

I once had a wire running around the inside of the room, near the ceiling. It worked.

Al

Don't overthink it. Just put it up. I had a wire tacked up underneath the eves of the house. Ran it around the perimeter, from one side to the other. Just don't wrap the wire back on itself.

Did I work the Mongolian Monk on a clear day. NO!

But I did work plenty of stateside, JA's, VK's and ZL contacts.

Put it up and have fun!

WX7Q
Jim

W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »

I agree with the many who say "just put it up".  I will add that even though most of the signal will be "upwards", you still have a sizeable amount of signal energy going thataway that is useful.
Go for it!
Joe W3TTT
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »

Try the "HOA Zapper"!!  Set up a table and chairs in your backyard as far away from your house as possible.  Mount a "bug zapper" on a 15 foot high PVC pole near the table, and string the "power cord" from the zapper to an upstairs window of your house!   That "power cord" is actually your end fed antenna!!  Roll Eyes
K5OX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 12:42:40 PM »

I think it will work better than you might think. Right now I use a G5RV JR. in the attic and I live in the Houston Suburbs. One early evening I worked another ham in PA using a 6 foot high dipole bent around a Cedar Fence. He was a bit weak and I'm sure his radiation angle was high, but it still got here about 1300 - 1400 miles away. Also many antenna restricted hams can have lots of fun with a very low 6M loop. I used a M2 half wave loop temporally mounted about 10 feet high. From the neighbors vantage point it was barely noticeable, if at all, because of my cedar privacy fence. I worked 90 grids with 100W on 6M during June and July and had a ball on CW. Some hams don't realize that there is a lot of CW activity on six.

My next hidden antenna is almost ready to deploy. It is an MFJ Big Stick that I have setup on an old camera tripod (had to remove plastic head). I will move the tripod and antenna inside a very leafy live oak tree about 22 feet high. Also I plan to use a single 1/4 wave counterpoise as I have used before in a home brew vertical in my old house about 10 miles away. For whatever reason a 1/4 wave vertical about 4 feet high with 1/4 wave counterpoise seems to be a very effective DX antenna. I have good ground conductivity but certainly not remotely close to sea water at 90 miles inland from the Gulf Coast. But I have tried this single elevated counterpoise trick enough to have confidence that it is a great antenna. At least for 20 and above.

I think that you just don't know until you try something. Also you have to think of what your neighbors might see and if they even know what it is. It so happens that my wife works for another HOA (If you can't fight them, join them), and deed restriction violations are checked out by car drive by(s). She answers to a board of directors that usually are after 18 wheelers parked on the street, or broken down cars. The worst is someone operating a car repair business out of his garage. So they have bigger things to worry about than some low wire that is barely visable. A butternut vertical 26ft high cannot be seen if it is mounted in the back yard about mid way (for an average small back yard). I used a older non WARC HF6V for many years without any problems. This is when channel 2 TVI was a big problem. My point is don't be overly timid. Chances are neighbors won't complain. Especially now that TVI is pretty much gone with digital TV. I'm sure your mileage will vary. But the worst they can do is make you take something down. So be careful how much you spend -- and have common sense. No YAGI and tower of course. I moved in this house 15 years ago and planted lots of trees. It is your best investment if you plan to stay a long time.

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 06:30:04 PM »

I did this with a horizontal (mostly anyway) loop tucked just under the edge of the shingles down near the lower edge of the roof. It's a two story house which gets it up 20' or more. Resonates between 160 and 80M and down to 10M with a tuner. Balun is in the attic.

Frank

Tuck it under the edge of the roofing shingles near the ridge of the roof .... the higher the better.

Matt
AF7ON

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 07:45:12 AM »

I'm in AZ too and have HOA restrictions. I use the MFJ 1786 loop as my permanent HF antenna and it has proved surprisingly effective.  I've even used it on a portable tripod on my covered patio and operated during thunderstorms!  Just be aware of MFJ's deserved reputation for poor quality control.  Mine came with its share of loose bolts but has performed flawlessly since I tightened everything up.  You might also want to seal the seam of the enclosure to keep bugs and rain out (but leave a couple of drain/breathing holes at the bottom!)  I also painted it sky grey to make it more invisible.

I also deploy push-up fiberglass poles with other antennas - mostly verticals for 30m and 40m at night.

I also talked to my immediate neighbors and as a result was able to install a ten-meter Moxon in place of my old TV antenna.  It's almost invisible and barely worse than what it replaced.

I'd get the MFJ loop and then play with wires and poles!

Mike
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »

You might consider a Half Square antenna.  You can make one resonate on 20 meters by using a horizontal wire 35 feet long, and then bending the 16.5 long vertical sections at the bottom parallel to the ground. The angle of radiation is about the same as a 20M dipole up 35 feet.  The tradeoff is you lose 5.5 dB, which many be quite acceptable considering the practical alternatives.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/wb3aywcurtainantennas.html

It is a good compromise because you get vertically polarized radiation without needed an obtrusive radial system.

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:27:42 PM by W1VT » Logged
WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »

I really do not understand why, if you live in a area of the country with some tall trees (80 foot plus) why any neighborhood would have a problem with a neatly installed wire antenna in your trees. At my present non HOA neighborhood I have two inverted Vee's up. I run 100 watts from a TS90 and have confirmed 295 countries/entities. Running FT8 at 40 watts I have confirmed VK on 80 meters. I also have DXCC on 8 bands. My antennas are in my back yard and in the trees between 60 and 75 feet at the feedpoint. No interference, and no complaints from anyone. The only reason someone would complain would be to bust my ..... . This is one of this is one of those areas where the government should get involved. When a citizen is pursuing a legal endeavor which a individual tries to shut down just to be anti social, they should have to face legal penalties which the government has the power to enforce.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 01:33:25 AM »

It will radiate well, I work CW ops running modest pwr and ants as low as 10ft.
   It will not radiate well if you don't put it up but just keep dreaming and writing about it here.
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »

Dave

I live in Chandler AZ area which is mostly desert with low trees. My development is new and there are only recently planted trees. My home is a one story.

I will initially by using 3 ham sticks for 40, 20 and 17m with an extensive counterpoise and radials.

Next stage will be the endfed antenna with a 65' length with the 9:1 UnUn which I have already made.

When I can afford it I will buy the MFJ Mag Loop or build my own.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs

WB2KSP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »

Dave

I live in Chandler AZ area which is mostly desert with low trees. My development is new and there are only recently planted trees. My home is a one story.

I will initially by using 3 ham sticks for 40, 20 and 17m with an extensive counterpoise and radials.

Next stage will be the endfed antenna with a 65' length with the 9:1 UnUn which I have already made.

When I can afford it I will buy the MFJ Mag Loop or build my own.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs

Steve, if it's alright I'd like to make a suggestion or two. I rely heavily on CW. It's much more efficient than SSB. The counterpoise should be very helpful. My other recommendation, even though its relatively content limiting is to try some of the digital modes. PSK and RTTY with allow you to be a bit more creative modes such as JT65 and the new FT8 are very limited. Sort of like ham radio's answer to Twitter.Nevertheless FT8 is extremely popular. I was able to work 49 states in a matter of a week or so in that mode. Hope to hear you on the bands some day and we can have a QSO. 73 and best of luck from the NYC area.
NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »

I have used the PAR Endfed Z with feed point at 15 feet sloping down to at wood fence at 6 feet Running 25 watts I was able to do a lot of good contesting.
If you do them right, end fed antennas, and there are some good commercially made ones out there, with 18 gauge of wire can be just the ticket for hiding a good antenna.
You can get 18 gauge of wire up in trees at whatever height and do well on HF.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 05:21:23 AM »

Use this for a comparison.
I erected a shortened (12 foot long) 20 meter dipole in my back yard at a height of 5 feet in the air. Feeding it with 15 feet of RG 174 and using my KX3 at 5 watts out, I worked a station in Germany. He gave me a 579 report. After I told him what I was using, he reconfirmed my RST of 579. “Will the EF work at that height?” Sure it will. Are there better choices? I am sure there are.
Don’t be afraid to experiment.
When it comes to feeding the EF, you want to make sure you install a line isolator around 20 feet away from the feed point of the UnUn. The coax leaving the UnUn is actually part of the antenna. DO NOT put the line isolator of clip on ferrite at any position, on the coax, that equals ½ wave length of any of the operating frequencies. If you do, it will raise the feed point of the antenna and you may have a high SWR issue on that band.

Barry
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »

Thanks Barry
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: