The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you buy a dirty dusty radio?  (Read 5960 times)
KE2TR

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »

Every day I se more than a few add's on here or QRZ besides the ones on sleyZbay for sale and the sellers dont even take a dust rag to these rigs plus there asking top dollar, WTF! If you are thrying to sell something why not dust or vacuum it off first, a little dust rag with some Windex(plain style) goes a long way plus if you want top dollar at least make it look like you take good care of your radio's. I can see if your selling it for a very low price but if your not no new prospective buyer is even going to look at some dust radio because that's telling that person that you don't give a crap about your stuff.
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »

Some folks can polish a turd to a high luster and it is DOA, missing parts, you name it. 
I am more interested in how it works.  A scuff or two, a scratch isn't a big deal in the used world...beat up is another story.  My main concern, is why do folks not take better care of their gear?
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:05:39 PM »

Some consider an old radio or car, for that matter, a barn find. Clean them up and they loose value, believe it or not. I will not buy a vintage radio if the seller says he turned it on and it lights up, no further testing done. This tells me that I will most likely have to replace every electrolytic in the radio. I would much rather buy a radio untested, not cleaned, and listed as is. Yes I would pay more for a radio listed as such.

Just my opinion.

73s

K2OWK
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 06:30:26 AM »

All depends upon how bad I want it.

On 18.087MHz, Morse, 2200UTC.

kraus
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 07:58:28 PM »

If it is something I want or need, and it is priced for the condition it is in, why not?

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 05:05:03 AM »

If it's just pretty dusty and part of an estate, then yes.  If it's grimy and the seller says he's used it for a long time, then no. 
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »

Dust is a childish issue.  Dirty, grimey, scratched up, etc. is another thing.  Dust can be blown or wiped off easily...it happens...
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »

Leave the radio 'as is".  Unless you are selling your 'restoration services" don't do anything more than a light dusting with a soft rag.  Don't use windex or other cleaners. 

As a boat anchor buyer, I would rather have an original 'dirty' radio, than have the original finish and markings damage through well meaning but uneducated cleaning efforts. 
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 11:31:59 AM »

Leave the radio 'as is".  Unless you are selling your 'restoration services" don't do anything more than a light dusting with a soft rag.  Don't use windex or other cleaners. 

As a boat anchor buyer, I would rather have an original 'dirty' radio, than have the original finish and markings damage through well meaning but uneducated cleaning efforts. 

Yup, ten-four to that. Some of these new-fangled cleaners sure can take up the enamel paints of the 50's. Dirt went on. It can come off.

And never spray the anchor. Spray your cloth. Wipe gently.

Kraus

WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 06:34:17 AM »

Every day I se more than a few add's on here or QRZ besides the ones on sleyZbay for sale and the sellers dont even take a dust rag to these rigs plus there asking top dollar, WTF! If you are thrying to sell something why not dust or vacuum it off first, a little dust rag with some Windex(plain style) goes a long way plus if you want top dollar at least make it look like you take good care of your radio's. I can see if your selling it for a very low price but if your not no new prospective buyer is even going to look at some dust radio because that's telling that person that you don't give a crap about your stuff.

From the responses a dusty dirty radio doesn't bother most people, and that a clean rig does not necessarily mean it works perfectly.  But to me, seeing dirty looking rig implies it hasn't been cared for, not even a simple dust cover.  I believe the term is "curb appeal", lol.   If I'm selling a radio or my car or house, I want it to look as good as possible. 
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 07:06:41 AM »

I cannot imagine why people are so lazy, have no pride, and won't spend twenty minutes cleaning up their gear for sale.

Take Care
Sue,
AF6LJ
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 09:30:42 AM »

Wait a minute 4M. You mean you'd leave the ghost behind?

LJ,

People won't clean up their gear because they're lazy and have no pride.

Why they are lazy or have no pride? Understanding women is the easier
question and even I don't have that answer either.

Maybe when the universe collapses down and then begins to expand again,
things will be different.

Any other questions.

Kraus, m.k.a. a life guru.

K7LZR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »

I cannot imagine why people are so lazy, have no pride, and won't spend twenty minutes cleaning up their gear for sale.

I can. I see it all the time in this area at certain grocery stores and other places and it often extends way beyond any electronic gear which they might have.....
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »

Whether or not I would buy a "dirty dusty" radio depends on a bunch of factors - price, condition under the dirt, what it really is, what I could do with it.

I've bought many a "dirty dusty" thing because I knew I could clean it up and use parts from it. I'd rather buy something dirty than something "cleaned" by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

OTOH, when people want top dollar for junk - no. Just no.

N9AVY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 09:18:39 AM »

See the same thing at Hamfests.  People bring out stuff that looks like they  dumpster dived it and forgot to clean off the dumpster juice.  These are usually the same dirty, smelly ones who haven't seen a bar of soap in decades. Also, I've seen people dump boxes of parts on hood of car and you have to sort through all the crap to find what you need.  This is no way to sell !  Would you shop at a store where things were in dusty, dirty piles ?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: