The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rv antenna mounts  (Read 1945 times)
KC1ACL

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2017, 05:07:15 AM »

I need ideas for mounting mobile antennas for hf on a rv.36 ft class a.rubber and fiberglass roof.i have the parked antenna setups.when at campgrounds etc.now mobile is next,i have a yaesu ft 857d and a ftdx 1200.going full time rving soon.kc1acl
LITTLEWALKERTALKER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 05:52:14 AM »

I think your two biggest issues are going to be height and finding metal for your ground plane.  I have a Mitchell Vogue that came from the factory with a CB.  It's a steel framed fiberglass beast with a low forehead where the antenna is mounted.  I still hear it hit on things when I go under them, pretty sure that's why it's curled forward at the tip. 

Most RVs, however, are taller than mine and are stick and staple construction, which means you're going to have to keep a vertical very short and do something about radials if you want to go on top. 

I wonder what a dipole or other horizontally oriented antenna would be like taped down to the roof?  Would it act like it was 12' off the ground?  Would the radiation exposure inside be outside of acceptable parameters?  Yagi done in a similar fashion?

The only other things I can think of are; mounting something on the ladder, I've got steel bumpers on mine but I bet you don't have that option, and possibly putting something on the mirrors, but even there I'd be connecting to plastic (with a lot of wiring inside for the motors, lights and heater).

And, after I wrote all that, I googled.
Some good info here:
http://www.k0bg.com/otrrv.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: