The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raspberry Pi and Amateur Radio?  (Read 4201 times)
KA1OWC

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »

Hello: Just wondering if this is possible: I would like to build a compact Wx Satellite receiving station that I could use as a free standing unit and not tie up my everyday computer...Can a Raspberry Pi be used in this situation? I have ordered a free standing APT-06 satellite receiver that is designed to plug into a PC...Can I connect this to the Pi and attach a monitor to the Pi? Would it accept a program like WXtoIMG for converting the images? Thanks!

Steve, KA1OWC
Retired Lieutenant Colonel, US Army
Army Nurse Corps
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 01:00:14 PM »

Steve,

You might be better off using an old laptop or bookshelf computer for this. Most of the applications for that receiver (that I could find) are for Windows.  Even if you find a Linux app that will run on that hardware, I doubt the Pi could handle the overhead - especially the graphics. 

Bob
W6IR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »

Checking the WXtoImg page shows a beta version available for ARM processors so that part is good. I'm not familiar with the APT receiver so you're on your own there. There is a thread on reddit that has info on setting up an unmonitored WX receiver. No reason you couldn't monitor it Smiley
W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 06:57:06 AM »

A RaspberryPi (especially a 3B) will have plenty of power for this purpose. If you can find the software -- and I can't imagine that would be too difficult -- then this would be an excellent use for one.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »

Hello: Just wondering if this is possible: I would like to build a compact Wx Satellite receiving station that I could use as a free standing unit and not tie up my everyday computer...Can a Raspberry Pi be used in this situation? I have ordered a free standing APT-06 satellite receiver that is designed to plug into a PC...Can I connect this to the Pi and attach a monitor to the Pi? Would it accept a program like WXtoIMG for converting the images? Thanks!

Check the RTL-SDR Blog. They have shown how to receive WX images using the RTL-SDR in past. People are using the RTL-SDR with the RPi3 more and more, so have a look there.
KG7WBW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »

RPi3 has plenty of GPU capability. A lot of people use these to emulate up through the PS1/N64 era.

-Jade Shain
KG7WBW
G4ABQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 11:36:32 PM »

Regarding receiving in general and Raspberry Pi, Cubic SDR runs nicely on a (forced air cooled) raspberry Pi3 as shown in this SDRplay video: https://youtu.be/WvcbnoaYnL8
N5BCN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »

Odroid (Korean made) makes slightly more expensive single-board computers that have much better specs than the Raspberry Pi.  Their XU4 has an eight-core processor, full gigabit ethernet, and 2 USB 3.0 ports.  It, or something similar, might be a better choice for your project.  The biggest advantage of the Raspberry Pi is its wide adoption and support network.  Specs-wise, it's mediocre.

73 Brian N5BCN
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 09:37:20 AM »

Specs-wise, it's mediocre.

73 Brian N5BCN

The RPi3 is far from being mediocre. It can always be a little better, but considering the price...

I have one running WSJT-X on FT8, this is a very taxing application. If decode is set to deep, it does show its limitations, but otherwise, very good.
W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 08:00:53 AM »

The RPi3 is far from being mediocre. It can always be a little better, but considering the price...
I would agree. It is hardly fair to compare it to a laptop or desktop that costs several hundred dollars. When you factor in the price, it is an exceptionally powerful and useful piece of kit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: