The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contesting with TS-990S, DVK and N1MM Command Issues  (Read 1649 times)
KB3Z

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »

Good Afternoon,
I have a Kenwood TS-990S which I use for contesting. I have a message recorded in slot number 1 in the DVK.
I inserted the following command into N1MM for F1, F1 CQ,{CAT1ASC PB01;PB111;}
When I try to transmit this message the only thing happens is that the DVK PLAYS the message. It will not key the transmitter.
Now, if I use a WAV file, it keys the transmitter. But with the DVK command which N1MM says is the proper command it will not transmit the Message.
Is there a setting within N1MM Plus that I need to make to get this to work?
Or, is there a menu setting on the 990S which needs to be turned on.
I was told that the VOX should be turned on.
I did that and that didn't change a thing.
Is there any contest operators out there who use the 990S and also their DVK to transmit messages during a SSB Contest?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
If worse came to worse I would have to press the CH1 button each time I wanted to send the message.
Mark Griffin, KB3Z
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 01:21:44 PM »

Mark,

I use N1MM-plus to control the DVK in my TS590S ... and I believe the command would be the same as in the '990.

For the F1 key to transmit the message in the CH1 key I use:  ,{CAT1ASC PB1;}
... with VOX on with level set to 1 so as not to be triggered by my mic.

Don't know what PB111 would be for in your example.

I assume you have rig control working ok using either USB or RS232 connection.

KB3Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »

Mel,
The command I use is what is in the N1MM instruction manual for the 990S.
I use a Timewave Navigator for CW and rig control interaction with my computer and N1MM.
I was told that the Timewave plays no part in the Keying of the transceiver with regards to SSB.
Of course there is a com port for the timewave but that is for PTT CW Squelch.
When I press F1 it plays the DVK Message in #1, but it doesn't key the transmitter.
That's what is so odd about the whole thing.
Any thoughts?
Mark
KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:12:16 PM »

http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/tiki-index.php?page=Supported+Radios#TS-990

Look at section 8.8

Does this help?

Glenn KE4KY - Ham since 1975
KB3Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »

Glenn,
That's what I have in my Macro, except for the addition of the PB01 which I received last evening from John, K3CT who works on the N1MM plus programming. I don't think that my Navigator is the problem because in the F4 Slot I have my callsign in a Wav File. When I press F4 the transceiver goes into transmit and sends the Wav file. But for some reason it just won't work with the command that N1MM says should work. I also don't feel it is a setting on my radio. I was told that I should turn the Vox on. I tried that it it doesn't do anything. The DVK message plays but will not put the radio in transmit. To do that I have to push the channel 1 button on the 990s. It then keys the 990 and sends the message.

I have yet to find someone who has gotten this to work. On the 590 yes, but not on the 990. I'm hoping that sooner or later someone is presently using the 990 for contesting and has gotten this to work. I'm the only one in the Frankford Radio Club who uses the 990S. Pretty many in the club either use Icom or Elecraft Radio's.

Thanks!
Mark KB3Z
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »

I use a Timewave Navigator for CW and rig control interaction with my computer and N1MM.

Mark,

Try connecting your computer directly to the '990 through either its USB or serial port.

Mel

KE4KY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »

...On the 590 yes, but not on the 990. ...
Mark KB3Z

Roger that. A couple of us got a friend's 590 up and going with these/similar commands. Hopefully the answer to the 990 will come about quickly.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:19:15 PM by KE4KY » Logged

Glenn KE4KY - Ham since 1975
KB3Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 04:30:22 AM »

I just wanted to let the group know that I received a Fix last evening from John Bednar, K3CT. John does programming and trouble shooting with N1MM. The problem is now resolved.
Mark Griffin, KB3Z
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: