The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft K1 discontinued  (Read 6623 times)
G4AON

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2017, 12:47:46 AM »

Sadly, Elecraft have dropped the K1, there are a few accessories still listed though.

I enjoyed building my K1, but really don't use it these days. Still, it's a keeper.

73 Dave
KB1KOE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 06:45:11 AM »

This is very sad. I've been wanting to build a K1 for about 10 years. I was just never able to find the time. I was planning on buying one this month. I obviously waiting too long.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »

Sadly another well performing QRP rig bites the dust.  I built one a few years ago (2 band) and used the heck out of it.  Sold it and bought a KX3.  Do you know what their reason was for discontinuing it?
Art
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »

Sadly another well performing QRP rig bites the dust.  I built one a few years ago (2 band) and used the heck out of it.  Sold it and bought a KX3.  Do you know what their reason was for discontinuing it?
Art

Lack of case suppliers.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »

Lack of case suppliers.

Really? I won't question on air performance, but their cases....  Grin
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 03:12:51 AM »

Art
This link has Wayne's explanation of the reason:
http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2017-August/248740.html

They had supply issues with trimmers for the K1 4 band board and discontinued it some time ago. Sadly, the very handy Wide Range Tilt Stand went that way too. (I have both for my K1).

I also have a 10W K2, both the K1 and K2 were enjoyable builds, but neither get used since building scratch built separates and getting a KX3 for overseas trips.

73 Dave
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »

I put mine together last year. They had to reto fit surface mount chips to an adapter board because the full size were no longer available. It was a job to mount those little chips to the adapter board.

I had a very bad experience putting the kit together. I was very careful and it would not work when I finished. No, it was not a cold solder joint, that was confirmed. It had to be a component failure. Any hoo, had to send it in for warranty repair. You quickly find out there is no warranty repair on these kits. I understand why but really got burned because the bench time was a lot of $$$$$

The whole experience has caused me to never try a kit again, That's my experience, there are far more positive experiences out there than mine......
KJ6DRG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 06:40:28 AM »

For what it's worth, Elecraft just started using Instagram and last night mentioned that the K2 would not be going anywhere soon. So if you dreamed of building a K1 (like I did) and missed out, save a bit more and get a K2!

I wish I had never sold the K1 I had a few years ago  Sad
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 06:58:19 AM »

Looks like the KX1 has been discontinued as well.
KB1KOE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 07:52:45 AM »

So if you dreamed of building a K1 (like I did) and missed out, save a bit more and get a K2!

This is where I am too.
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 08:56:13 AM »

I finished my K1 a little over a month ago. Beside from a incorrect component installed and a unsoldered joint mine took off just fine. Keep in mind the only other kits I've tackled in 40 years was a keyer and 2 meter rig from Heathkit.

Its possible that there was a bad part. One thing though is that kit you needed a very high power magnifier or a good LCR meter to be sure you put the right value cap in.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »

I would imagine the K2 is the next on the chopping block? They are all from the same era / similar cases (diff size).

Sad to see as they were some very good thru-hole kits that were a competitive product. The newer stuff is nice (k3/kx3/kx2) but at the most you can just assemble the boards. I hope they at least keep the K2 around...
KJ6DRG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »

I would imagine the K2 is the next on the chopping block? They are all from the same era / similar cases (diff size).

Sad to see as they were some very good thru-hole kits that were a competitive product. The newer stuff is nice (k3/kx3/kx2) but at the most you can just assemble the boards. I hope they at least keep the K2 around...

Quote from: KJ6DRG
For what it's worth, Elecraft just started using Instagram and last night mentioned that the K2 would not be going anywhere soon. So if you dreamed of building a K1 (like I did) and missed out, save a bit more and get a K2!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »

Ahh I completely missed that. That is good news indeed. I built a k2 with most/all of the options and it was a fun build (sold it several years ago). I built and have the KX1 now and still love taking it outdoors to operate. I'd love to see them come out with another thru-hole qrp radio.. I love any excuse to warm up the soldering iron  Cool
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 07:01:49 PM »

I heard there was a shift away from kits with elecraft. i hope that is not true. Thats what got them started. Of course with the shift in technology, they may have no choice.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: