The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of this K2  (Read 4171 times)
WB2LQF

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »

I did something stupid and perhaps this summary will help someone else avoid making the same or a similar mistake.

On 7/24/2017 I contacted Curtis J. Bisesi K2WOP about buying a Drake 2B he had for sale for the excellent price of $145 shipped.  I asked for and received pictures of the receiver and he filled me in on the condition, accessories, etc.  I had been looking for a 2B to restore for quite some time and Mr. Bisesi was just one of several hams who answered my "wanted to buy."  Initially, I told Mr. Bisesi that I had already located a receiver closer to me that would not require shipping and I thanked him for his offer.  He wished me luck and seemed like a decent guy.

The original deal ended up not working out and on 7/24/17 I emailed him to ask if the receiver and price were still in play.  He said "yes."  He added that he was a registered Paypal user and gave me his Paypal address of "ham4curtis305@outlook.com."

Here is where I screwed up.  I sent him the money "as a friend" instead of for making a purchase.  What I did was in violation of PayPal policy and voided any chance I had of registering a complaint against Mr. Bisesi for keeping my money and never sending me the radio.

He seemed like a really nice guy who just had some extra equipment hanging around and was willing to let it go for a very reasonable price.  I thought I could save him a couple bucks on the transaction plus I sort of considered him "a friend" and fellow member of our ham community.  By 8/01/17 when I still had not received a tracking number, I contacted him and he said he had a sick son in the hospital and would ship it the upcoming Thursday.

Well that never happened and he never again replied to my emails.  Interestingly, the PayPal address of "ham4curtis305@outlook.com" turned out to belong to a "Jaqueline Galindez."

I'm just south of 70.  In 57 years of hamming I've never run into a dishonest ham.  I'll admit that some hams have more more likeable than other hams but I never crossed paths with a dishonest ham.  So I allowed myself to drop my guard in this case and there is nothing I can do about it except to post this experience with the hope that it helps someone else tread carefully.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 12:33:56 PM »

Always turns out the one you think you can trust, you can't and the one you don't think you can trust had the deal of the century.

Sorry it happened.

Kraus
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:36:26 PM by KC4ZGP » Logged
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 11:13:10 PM »

I'm sorry that you got burned. 'Trust but verify' is a good rule to use if you are a buyer or a seller, but it is by no means fault-proof.
 No lecture from me. I have to think that I've been more lucky than unlucky in this hobby.
 I do hope that you find your 2B. eHam reviewers gave it a 4.9/5.0 rating An exceptional and esoteric communications receiver:
 https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3868
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 05:02:49 AM »

Sorry that you got screwed on this deal - I've been buying my gear on the used market for 58 years and have never had someone not send me what I paid for.  But, over that period of time about 95% of the items I've purchased have had one or more serious problems whereas the seller claimed they were "perfect".  For a while I thought that maybe the operator just wasn't experienced or smart enough to recognize the gear had a problem.  But, over time I've decided that the vast majority of hams are simply ethically challenged.  These days I approach every potential purchase like buying a used car, and I depend on Paypal to protect me from the "used car salesmen" in the hobby.  Thus far that's worked out pretty well.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »

Its a real shame when a fellow ham screws someone over. But, it happens. One way to increase your safety is to search the web to see what's out there.  The FCC website returns names and address of license holders.

I "Googled"  Curt's call to see what I could see.

Among several returns for  " k2wop scammer " this is a nice one.

https://www.facebook.com/uvarc/posts/588283348038888

It has Curt's phone number.

So is this one, to the point.

Scammer Posing as K2WOP

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjk3Mi0sITWAhUlxoMKHasKDjoQFggmMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.qrz.com%2Findex.php%3Fthreads%2Fscammer-posing-as-k2wop.562691%2F&usg=AFQjCNGn22Tcx4rF_T1xuIy-zygYUzg5Tg

I doubt very much that Curt is the scumbag that scammed you out of your money. Give him a call, his number "is in the book".

klc

WB2LQF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »

KB2WIG, thanks for these links.  The second one even had the sick son/hospital bit in there.  Well, every once-in-awhile, something happens that "sharpens me up" and this is one of those times.  A long history of never being screwed led to complacency on my part and it isn't going to happen to me again - not in this life.  73!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »

Scammers are mostly just psychopaths. If the narrative goes something like "I'm an acceptable/angelic person" and then "I need you to show some empathy" then that is very, very typical of a psychopath. In the parking lot they will say "I got out of work last year" [I'm an acceptable person because I worked] then "I need help with my ______'. In person you can observe to see if their eye expressions match their facial expressions. If all you see is dead eyes then don't argue with them, don't interact at all, just walk away.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »

Excellent points.
This maybe off topic, but......

I was coming out of WallyWorld last year and some moocher came up to me and asked me:
"hey buddy, could you spare a buck"?
Without hesitation I said, "sure, can you break a $20"?

Excited, he was reaching for his wallet, saying, "you bet!", when he realized he's been 'had'.....

My buddy (always up to bust scammers) went by the corner next to this same WalMart, where there are always a bunch of beggars.

When they come up to his car with the "PLEASE help, hungry" sign, he gives then a coupon for a free McDonalds meal. More often than not, they cuss him out and throw the coupon at him.

Hey, I'm sympathetic for the homeless, but if they can't shoot it up or smoke it, they are 'usually' not interested.

ron
N4UE
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 11:36:29 AM »

Notice how many of those in need spend hours in line waiting wrapped in a blanket for heating assistance. No one wears a blanket. HA HA!!

Or they'll spend half a day in line for latest Nike shoes.

But won't spend ten minutes hoofing it for a job. 

The poor are poor because they keep themselves poor.

Kraus

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: