The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trolling  (Read 4188 times)
K0BT

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:36:21 PM »

The trolling behavior of a couple users has gotten to the point where the site is less enjoyable now. Useful threads get locked when certain members make inane comments and useless threads go on for page after page.  You cannot simply Ignore the misbehaving users when they disrupt a topic.

Why is this behavior tolerated here?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:40:20 PM by K0BT » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »

The trolling behavior of a couple users has gotten to the point where the site is less enjoyable now. Useful threads get locked when certain members make inane comments and useless threads go on for page after page.  You cannot simply Ignore the misbehaving users when they disrupt a topic.

Why is this behavior tolerated here?

I believe it is not "tolerated", it is "encouraged".  It increases views and thread count, all of which makes money in the advertisements.  So they lock the threads once in a while when interest wanes, so new threads can be started. And the cycle repeats, and the beat goes on.  Smiley  If the trolls did not exist, they would invent them.  Cynical view of the world, yes?.  Money talks, and BS walks.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 04:29:50 PM »

Yep, and the 'sheep man' still comments and posts his dumb-ass pictures.

It's so sad he can't afford a modern radio and bashes anyone who can,
SMH.

ron
N4UE
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:04:54 PM »

Who's sheep man?

So it's all about the money? Nooo.

I tell you. We 7 billion inhabitants are an interesting bunch. Or maybe a putzy bunch. That's
why intelligent life has not visited us. They're intelligent.

Everyone, have a safe Labor day weekend.

Kraus

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »

So it's all about the money? Nooo.
Three terms you need to familiarize yourself with in the context of Eham operations:

"For profit"

"Advertiser sponsored"

"Subscriber funded"

In other words: Someone's gotta pay the site overhead and staff support costs.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »

"For profit"

"Advertiser sponsored"

"Subscriber funded"

Got it Mr. Taggert.

'Wire the main office and tell them I said'... OW!

Wire the main office and tell them I said ow. Got it.

What a movie.

Our gentlemen in the QRP setion is about to have the adventure of his life. He wants go portable QRP. I've suggest two antennas.

What have you got for him.

I might just take my mag loop out this weekend. Get out of the shack.

Kraus

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 06:45:50 PM »

Our gentlemen in the QRP setion is about to have the adventure of his life. He wants go portable QRP. I've suggest two antennas.

What have you got for him.
Random wire up in the trees, tuned with a small MFJ tuner. Just like I used to do when camping overnight with my Gold Wing and an HW-8.

Configure it as space permits. Work the antenna against a counterpoise, the bike chassis or another nearby piece of metal.

Lots of DX was obtained.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 12:24:39 AM »

I am part of a moderation team on another forum. The 'Miscellaneous' section in this forum collects threads which may fit no other category. The forum rules still apply, but might have more leeway. Often small talk, concerns and humor find their way here.
 Every forum needs a 'junk drawer'. Our site calls this section: 'Off-topic, but still civil'. Others may have a 'Sandbox' (it isn't allowed to stink like a litterbox. It is meant for social 'play').
 The 'Good seller/Bad seller' thread has gotten into heated discussions a couple of times also.
 If you are offended or disturbed about the direction a thread is headed, Report it. Don't jump into the fray and make things worse. The best policy is to think twice before posting a response. Sometimes I have to hold my nose and move on to other reading without sending my planned post.
 We are all ladies and gentlemen here. I learn a lot from the technical threads. This is a varied and benevolent hobby. You will meet all kinds of people and personalities. Enjoy the fellowship of the hobby.
 It hurts to see some members demean, disrespect or insult other members. I choose not to be a part of that. Be the better person and don't escalate a volatile situation. Use the Report button if you have an issue. Let the Admin deal with it.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 05:05:38 AM »

If I don't like what I read, hear or see, I use the off switch.

Unless someone threatens to kill someone by name, rank, serial number, date, time, place, method, every post here is pointless.

Have a safe Labor day weekend folks.

Kraus
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 05:06:59 AM »

I am part of a moderation team on another forum.
As am I. Additionally, I've owned and managed several hobby-related sites of various sizes throughout the years.

The 'Miscellaneous' section in this forum collects threads which may fit no other category. The forum rules still apply, but might have more leeway.
Eham's 'Misc' forum is quite clear with regards to what is permitted and what isn't, courtesy of a Sticky at the top of the forum. In a nutshell: No non-ham-radio-related content.

We are all ladies and gentlemen here.
Your model breaks down at this point.

No, we are not.

Some are active only to troll. Mind you, this is not one person's opinion gauged against one thread's contents. It is the opinion of many, over months to years time. For the uninitiated, these observations are backed up by contents of threads by the offending parties which haven't been deleted and which linger on the board.

Use the Report button if you have an issue. Let the Admin deal with it.
And the situation further breaks down...because the Admin isn't dealing with the problem effectively. Rather than the issue of a warning (or an account lock), otherwise useful threads - which have become momentarily derailed due to the antics of a few attention seekers - become unavailable to the members who DO play by the rules.

I don't know what forum software your site uses, but the various packages I've worked with have a "PM User" feature. They also have a 'Moderate User' function, wherein I can set the user's privileges to restricted or banned altogether.

Forum moderation ain't rocket science; most times it doesn't even require the services of a missile technician. You on occasion have to weed the garden...especially if the weeds begin to take over and edge out the desirable crops.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:15:44 AM by N8YX » Logged
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 05:10:31 AM »

If I don't like what I read, hear or see, I use the off switch.
Do the board a favor:

There are two specific posters who need their posting privilege's "Off Switch" flipped.

Accomplish this and you get the beverage of your choice @ Dayton, courtesy of a number of folks (including me).
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 05:18:27 AM »

Trolls feed off the responses they get.

React negatively to them and they stay.

If someone says something stupid, don't point it out. You only aggravate yourself.

Time for more coffee and cake. My wife made this cake called monkey cake.

Ah yes, fresh monkey in the morning.

Have a safe Labor day everyone.

Kraus

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 05:35:49 AM »

Trolls feed off the responses they get.

React negatively to them and they stay.

If someone says something stupid, don't point it out. You only aggravate yourself.
Again, your model breaks down when trolls get useful threads locked.

Read a couple posts up.

I have had experience in dealing with problem users of a forum. This particular situation could be wrapped up quickly if the staff chose to action things appropriately.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 06:12:32 AM »

So like do folks lose sleep if their banned from a forum.

This, Stan's Net Chess and RC Universe are all I know or knew. I don't fly planes or play chess
anymore.

This one is it.

I worked with a guy who was a moderator on a car forum. I asked, "You don't put that on your resume' do you."
He didn't speak much after that. Yes I was making fun of him.

Have a safe Labor day weekend.

Kraus

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 09:58:22 AM »

I worked with a guy who was a moderator on a car forum. I asked, "You don't put that on your resume' do you."
He didn't speak much after that. Yes I was making fun of him.
On the other hand...

The likes of Fred Lloyd (AA7BQ), Arianna Huffington, Matt Drudge and many others who have created and maintained successful sources of income in the form of websites and discussion forums have every right to place said achievement on their resumes.

But you digress. The original subject of this thread is "trolling", not someone's personal work history. I merely pointed out how easy it is to deal with a problem user should a site's staff choose to take that action.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: