The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the info displayed on my HRD logbook for "areas" that has skyrocketed  (Read 1685 times)
KC1GCG

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:12 AM »

Greetings,
Wasn't sure if I should post this in "Software" or here.... and here I am.
On my Ham Radio Deluxe logbook I have selected on the bottom to display a graph called "30 day solar data".
It has SFI, Sunspots and new regions which I understand. It also has "areas" that I would like to understand. I can't figure out what web site they pull the data from (thinking there would be an explanation there) and it doesn't seem to track with daily A or K data I see elsewhere.
The number typically is around 100 +/-  but it shot up to around 600 on 8/22 or so and then dropped back down to around 100 on 8/29 and then shot way up to 940 on 8/31. I have seen significant improvement to propagation on 20 meters during these "events" and would like to learn some more.
My simple guess is that they are the actual area of the sun covered with sun spots or some number based on such?? If so I'd like to know where the number comes from and  what it means.
All my google efforts seem to come up with sites that talk about sfi, a and K and I think I got that filed in my noggin ok
As a side note on propagation.. as I said 20 meters has been great from here in NH with last night plenty of responses to my CQ's from CA, CO, AZ, UT etc and my unscientific observation is that the signals  where much stronger than normal. A contact with a San Diego station was 10+ and sounded local. In my short year in the hobby I have not heard it like that - made plenty of CA contacts but many of them were very weak signals. Seems like propagation is significantly better than say a month ago.
Also of note is that it seems like most people abandon 20 meters around 9P edt and I'm guessing they are going to 40. I get it that typically 20 closes and 40 opens but I have found 20 staying open but mostly no one there. An example would be earlier in the week around 10P the clusters showed nothing on 20 voice and spinning the dial showed the same but I made a few CQ calls that got me a contact in Washington state. He was spinning the dial also  wondering if the band was open or not. Further CQ's got nothing so the moral of the story is just because its quiet its not dead yet maybe! Maybe 40 is just better at those times or its old habits. Just curious stuff.
Thanks for reading and any answers on my question regarding the "area" numbers much appreciated.
Best regards
John K1JRF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: