The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Like VHF/UHF? Check out the new Icom IC-9700  (Read 18595 times)
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »

Hi Ed. Here in the USA, DXEngineering is already taking pre-orders. Initially, it was listed as
HF+6M, 2, 432, 1296.
They were quickly corrected.

ron
N4UE

Too bad it will not include HF and DSTAR.  It would have been a good replacement for the IC-9100.

Actually it WILL have D Star.
Personally I cannot see a need for HF +6 (and 4 this side of The Atlantic) on it when there is the 7300.
The 9100 is a 7600 and updated 910 in one box and for me, too expensive.
HOWEVER I am in the market for a 3rd generation 910 based on 7300 underpinnings

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
N3OP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 05:17:43 AM »

I would prefer to have one radio with these features.  If the IC-9700 will not include HF+6, it would be nice to have C4FM and DMR in addition to DSTAR.  I know that will not happen because the because the designers of these modes will not license their to the other competing companies, so the user (us) gave to buy three radios if we want to work these modes.  It would be like buying 3 HF because one had SSB, one had AM, and the third had digital.  Hopefully these companies get together and license these modes to other companies.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 06:30:41 AM »

In the photos of the IC-9700 prototype, there are rear panel connectors for LAN, Data, and USB.  Of course, those might just be suggestions at this point since it is still early.

We can only hope that at least one of those ports will include a datastream for some kind of IF or baseband input/output data format that permits the owner to connect an external modem or processor for other modes (C4FM, DMR, etc) in addition to the ones Icom decides to include internally (the word-D-Star is printed below the touch screen).  Then the 9700 could become the central hub for an all-mode V/UHF and Satellite station.  And I guess transverters for other bands would need to go to the existing 3 band antenna connectors instead a low level signal interface, since no Transverter connector seems to be present on the prototype (although the new IC-7610 does include such a Transverter connector).

73, Ed VE3WGO
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: