The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Radio  (Read 2667 times)
KM6MEH

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »

Hi All,
got my ticket about a month ago and now time to buy a radio and get an antenna and get on the air. 
My criteria:
-Portable, use in the field and at home
-Able to use PSK31
-Prefer all mode transceiver
-100w HF

The rigs I have been looking at are the Yaesu FT 857D, IC 706 MKIIG, IC 7000. I thought I was sold on the FT 857D until I started looking at the Icom's. Looking for advice based on experience and use.

Craig
KM6MEH

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 10:56:22 AM »

Yaesu FT-891.

Portable, 100 watts

All modes.

Kraus

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:29:15 AM »

Stay away from compact rigs like 857 for first rig. (they are not a bad second/backup rig) A rig has the same efficiency big or small and both have to dissipate over 100 watts at full power and a small rig with reduced size and mass has to run hotter to do it. I would also stay away from "shack in a box" rigs that have 2m and 440 in them because compromises are made to reach a certain price point and further more while all mode support on 2m and 440 looks good in theory, in practice well over 90% of activity on those bands is FM and it is kinda silly to use a HF rig for FM here when 2m/440 mobile rigs and HT's offer far more features on those bands for FM.

Take a look at Kenwood TS-480  It is medium sized and can be had in a 100 with a built in tuner or 200 watt with no tuner. If you get MB 480 mount assembly it mounts head in front of main body and provides a side carry handle so you can grab it and go too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:31:57 AM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »

I just bought an FT891, While I am still checking it out, I think it meets all of your criteria.  At $579, it is pretty reasonably priced.   160 thru 6 meters 100 watts, All mode. No built in tuner though.  A little more oriented towards mobile/portable instead of home rig.  But I talked on mine all last night at home. Smiley  There is some fan noise after it warms up, since it is super small.  But it does cool down quickly too, as the fans really work well. It has a lot of features, IF DSP, so no add on filters or anything like that.   It is 10 lbs of "stuff" in a 5 lb bag.

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-891-hf-6m-transceiver.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwranNBRBhEiwASu908FmJIFBcfo818ssyUt6ku7Sja8kuhYmArQ9wwmCITSubNJVEWhkSQRoCj0kQAvD_BwE
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »

If you have $1249 (after rebate) it is hard to beat an IC 7300.  I have one, and it is superb.  Of course it is bigger than the 891, but it runs extremely cool at all times.  Even when pushed with 100 watts in digital modes.  It is oriented a little more towards a base type radio vs portable/mobile. The operating system with touchscreen is a joy to use, and the operation is intuitive. I prefer using it over my Icom Ic756pro3. Of course it has a built in autotuner.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »

Craig,

I neglected.

Congratulations on receiveing your license. And welcome to a wonderful hobby.

Kraus
KM6MEH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »

Craig,

I neglected.

Congratulations on receiveing your license. And welcome to a wonderful hobby.

Kraus

Thanks Kraus!
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 03:19:55 PM »

Depends on what you want. Base station, stay away from the small units that use 'soft keys' for the menus, it will drive you crazy. But for portable they're great. You pays your money, you takes your chances. First rig, I'd go for an older larger full sized unless you really want portable. Same with internal tuner, depends on how your antennas are. Some of the used KW are great rigs for $500 through 10 or 6M.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »

If you want to work portable go for the 891 and use resonant antennas or get an leg external tuner. I have used mine portable a lot and it performs very well on CW and filtering is solid. Great rig for the price.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »

The answer to this question isn't quite as simple as some suggest.  To start with, how much money can you afford to blow?  If, after you get your feet wet, can you afford to upgrade.  In other words, is this going to be a one shot purchase, warts and all?

Are you computer literate?  The reason for this question is because younger hams are not intimidated or

overwhelmed by buttons that provide menus and sub-menus.  An old timer like me prefers the do it yourself radio and this menu/sub-menu thing can't be tolerated.

If you can afford to upgrade later, even a few years later, then I agree with the previous posters and suggest you get a larger sized rig with minimal bells and whistles but with an auto-tuner.

The last thing a new ham wants is confusion and frustration and this is why I always suggest the simple rigs and staying away from QRP.

As Kraus put it so well, congratulations on getting your ticket and welcome to the most incredible hobby that exists!
KC3RN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 06:55:26 PM »

I just bought an FT891, While I am still checking it out, I think it meets all of your criteria.  At $579, it is pretty reasonably priced.   gclid=CjwKCAjwranNBRBhEiwASu908FmJIFBcfo818ssyUt6ku7Sja8kuhYmArQ9wwmCITSubNJVEWhkSQRoCj0kQAvD_BwE

At $579 I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 08:38:37 PM »

I just bought an FT891, While I am still checking it out, I think it meets all of your criteria.  At $579, it is pretty reasonably priced.   gclid=CjwKCAjwranNBRBhEiwASu908FmJIFBcfo818ssyUt6ku7Sja8kuhYmArQ9wwmCITSubNJVEWhkSQRoCj0kQAvD_BwE

At $579 I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Well here you go::::

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-891-hf-6m-transceiver.html

Free shipping too!
KM6MEH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 05:37:59 PM »

First, I want to thank all the helpful responses, I appreciate the helpful input and posts that made me think by asking
questions. Portable was the primary need for my first rig. Someone asked how much money I had to blow? Well depends
on what I want to do  Grin  I am computer literate, but not young by some standards (57) but I can figure out things I don't know.
I ended up buying a used Yaesu FT 857D for a good price (I think) $635
If I end up not liking this rig, I will investigate further the other rigs mentioned

Next challenges are power source and antenna. Again, thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Craig
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 04:04:27 AM »

I ended up buying a used Yaesu FT 857D for a good price (I think) $635

Not a great price. A lot of other better use rigs are out there in that price range.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KM6MEH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »

Not a great price. A lot of other better use rigs are out there in that price range.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input John, I appreciate it!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: